X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inda gets Nobel Peace Prize!!

Kenny set to get hands on Nobel Peace Prize

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 - 08:36 AM

He has appeared on the cover of Time magazine, won the Golden Victoria European of the Year award, and now Enda Kenny's going to get his mitts on a Nobel Peace Prize.

The Taoiseach is reported to be attending the Nobel ceremony in Oslo as one of the recipients of the prize on behalf of the European Union.

Are there no limits to his greatness?

Inda gets Nobel Peace Prize!!

Probably because Ireland has EU presidency next year?
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Hold on.... what..?

I´ve clearly been asleep for the past few years... what was the Golden Victoria European of the Year award for..?
      And the Europe Union won the Nobel peace prize... ? I won the Nobel peace prize..?

well, I don´t mean to brag, but....
      He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

Originally posted by i_like_cake View Post
        Hold on.... what..?

I´ve clearly been asleep for the past few years... what was the Golden Victoria European of the Year award for..?
        And the Europe Union won the Nobel peace prize... ? I won the Nobel peace prize..?

I wouldn't get to exited about winning the Nobel peace prize. The prize fund is €925,659 and you will be sharing it with the EU population which is over 500 million.
        Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Originally posted by i_like_cake View Post
          Hold on.... what..?

Your only chance will be if they raffle it.

Comment

Do YOU feel lucky, Punk.......

Click image for larger version

Name:	clint.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	2471405
            He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

Comment

But I think its time that I updated my cv to include nobel peace prize winner. The fact that the brits want to turn down this honour astounds me
                Seven social sins: politics without principles, wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, and worship without sacrifice

Comment

Inda, in a new bid to foster a....I'm lost for words.

Linkage

Enda Kenny proposes all-Ireland soccer team

Taoiseach Enda Kenny has proposed the creation of an all-Ireland soccer team to play charity games against England, alternately in Croke Park and Wembley.
                  At a sports reconciliation conference in Armagh City this morning, Mr Kenny opened up the possibility of the likes of the Republic’s Seamus Coleman and the North’s Jonny Evans lining out together against English stars such as Wayne Rooney, Frank Lampard and Leighton Baines.
                  Mr Kenny caused surprise when he floated the idea, suggesting the money raised from the games would be used to help fund new children’s hospitals in Dublin and Belfast. He made his proposal in front of Tánaiste Eamon Gilmore, First Minister Peter Robinson and Deputy First Minister Martin McGuinness who were attending the conference organised by the GAA, the Irish Football Association and the Ulster Rugby Football Union.
                  The idea appeared to come to Mr Kenny as he was speaking.
                  “It’s just a thought,” he said. “It might be something that could become a reality.” The Taoiseach made clear that he did not believe the creation of a permanent all-Ireland soccer team was currently possible, but that charity games were feasible.
                  A Government source also explained that the idea may need some development, particularly as England involvement may require some of the funds from the proposed games going to English charities. Mr Kenny suggested that the games should take place twice a year although again the source said this idea would need further fleshing out. Annual games could be more likely, it was suggested.
                  “We have two children’s hospitals in Belfast and Dublin. Wouldn’t it be wonderful when you can’t have all-Ireland soccer teams playing in international competitions that perhaps on a biannual basis there would be a charity match played in Ireland and in England,”
                  Mr Kenny later elaborated to reporters. “A charity match for a really good purpose I think would be attractive to everybody,” he added. Proceeds could go to the two children’s hospitals on the island of Ireland, he said. Mr Kenny suggested that British prime minister David Cameron could support his idea while stressing that it would be a matter for the soccer sporting bodies in the Republic, Northern Ireland and England, and also for the GAA in relation to having Croke Park as a venue.
                  In 1973 an all-Ireland soccer team, billed as Shamrock Rovers XI, came together to play Brazil at Lansdowne Road featuring the likes of Pat Jennings, the incoming Ireland manager Martin O’Neill, Derek Dougan who organised the game, Johnny Giles and Don Givens. They lost 4-3.
                  The IFA president Jim Shaw, like everyone else at the event, was caught on the hop by the suggestion. “It came out of the blue. It’s probably one for tomorrow and when we get there we can debate it and discuss it,” he said.
                  The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

Inda goes to Japan. Visits a Toyota factory with a guided tour by Kim Jung Il, I presume. The last line is a killer.

Linkage

Surreal moments on last day of Enda’s Japanese adventure

Taoiseach and entourage up at crack of dawn to visit Toyota City car production plant

”His Excellency, Enda Kenny, prime minister of Ireland.”
                    Excellency?
                    Really?

Michael D won’t like that. Everybody knows that the President of Ireland is the only Excellency in the village.
                    Enda Kenny, and him a mere politician, has some nerve.
                    But this was the title up on screen at various ports of call during the final day of the Taoiseach’s visit to Japan. Enda has been introduced as His Excellency more than once during this five-day trip.
                    We could see the Japanese were impressed (which was probably the point of the exercise).
                    We were puzzled.
                    His Exellenda didn’t object.
                    So we can only assume the protocol is correct. But it doesn’t sit right, particularly in light of the parade of “excellencies” we’ve had in recent times.
                    It’s a safe bet His Exellenda won’t be insisting on the same form of address when he gets back to Ireland. But it served a purpose in Japan.
                    The Taoiseach kept buttering up his hosts by saying the Irish and Japanese are very alike – a risky strategy. We all love good literature and good Irish music and, erm, a burning desire to work harder and deliver perfection.
                    But we aren’t the same.
                    Yesterday was bonkers.
                    Having travelled from Tokyo on the bullet train the night before, Enda and entourage left the city of Nagoya at the crack of dawn to visit the Toyota City car production plant.
                    It’s the second oldest “prant” in Japan, as our guides told us.
                    Enda visited to see their successful model of “cost effectiveness and lean management”, a system he says has already been introduced by a number of top Irish companies.

Wonders of Toyota
                    Before touring the building, the visitors were treated to a “pree-zen-tation” on the wonders of Toyota by the prant’s “external affairs” man, who sounded like a cross between Ron Burgundy and Kent Brockman from The Simpsons.
                    A prant worker gave a little speech but nobody understood a word he said. The Ron/Kent man showed a short video about the company and its work. A female voice narrated in a flat monotone while plinky-plinky musak played in the background. The Irish delegation tried not to giggle. Enda kept his eyes fixed on the screen, looking absorbed.
                    Then it was out to the factory floor – or above it on a gantry, to be more precise. Here we could see the cars in the final stages of assembly.
                    The vast packing area, with its stacks of plastic crates, looked like a fish market.
                    Enda cooed in admiration.
                    Then came the assembly line. “We hang the body then we assemble the elements,” said a proud Toyota staffer.
                    Enda did his best to give the impression he understood what was going on and tried to ask questions, when all he wanted to do was kick a few tyres and high-five some mechanics.

Around and around the walkways above the clanking conveyors he went, falling silent for much of the tour. There’s only so much you can ask about bumpers. He spotted a man in overalls working on a chassis. “How long did it take to train that lad?” he asked.
                    At least it was something to say.
                    Back outside two flashy new cars were parked in the forecourt – a pink Toyota crown (aka Mary Mitchell O’Connor mobile) and a big Lexus sports car. Apparently the Lexus has Formula One-type controls on the steering wheel. The Taoiseach clambered in and held the wheel tightly, turning it from side to side like a child on the bumpers.

Then it was off to Osaka to meet the governing council.
                    This city presents a treasure trove of business opportunities for Irish companies, so His Excellency pulled out all the stops.
                    After a rip-roaring episode of business card promiscuity and extreme head bowing, the Taoiseach settled in for lunch with the local business grandees.
                    But not before he made a toast, rolling out another new phrase in Japanese before shouting “Kampai!” with vigour.
                    This was the highlight of the lunch, along with the nugget that Osaka makes the finest nuts and screws on the planet.
                    Next stop was the Panasonic Centre, where Enda was shown some futuristic homes.

Magic mushrooms
                    It was at this stage we knew that somebody put magic mushrooms in our bento box.
                    A young assistant showed him around the model of a house where new technology makes life easier. It was designed for an older couple, in their 60s. Enda (62) watched and listened. He tried to look enthralled. You see, with your smartphone you will be able to cook your chicken yakitori without touching the microwave and “you can have face to face conversations with your family even when cooking”.
                    The Taoiseach’s eyebrows quivered. Fionnuala would kill him if he brought these contraptions back to Mayo.
                    The demonstrator showed him lots of things in the kitchen, including a clothes dryer and face steamer, but marched right past the bathroom of the future, with its big lavatory. We cannot describe our disappointment.The best bit happened in front of a big digital wall. Enda was asked to stand on the floor in front of it and suddenly, a troop of cartoon soldiers materialised at his feet. When he moved, the soldiers danced after him. He nearly wept for joy.
                    Finally, the group photograph was taken beside a giant blue snowman in a top hat near an opened suitcase with a stuffed ferret in it.
                    ”This must be what it feels like when you’re doing heavy drugs,” mused one observer.
                    The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

was that article, whilst being funny, slightly racist considering it came from a paper of record?
                        "Everything good about Ireland can be found in County Cork"....Lonely Planet Guide 2012

Comment

Working...
                        X