I didn't realise things were that bad.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't realise things were that bad.

I was in Dublin on Wednesday night, staying in Bewley's in Ballsbridge. We ventured out at 10:20 ish and passing the Horseshoe House, looked in the window and saw not a single customer. Paddy Cullen's Mary Mac's and Crowe's were quiet but at least they had customers that we could see.

We went into Bellamy's and there were about twenty people present and one barman. I was served immediately. We went into Crowe's next and there were about the same there with two barmen, neither very busy.

We got up to leave at 11:45 and I saw something that I had never seen in all my days frequenting Dublin pubs and never expected to see. To say that I was shocked to the core of my being would be putting it too strongly but it still greatly surprised me.

As I passed the bar counter, the barman finished off a pint, gave it to a customer, took the money put it in the till and gave back the change.

Is this what Dublin's publicans are reduced to?

Funnily enough I was reading a recent thread (possibly on thepropetypin.com) about how the economic gloom was unnoticeable in Dublin. I suppose it all depends on where and when you are.

I'm sure pubs have been hit by those staying home, and personally I'd rather get something to eat than drink bad beer for €4-€5 a pop.

But no, things aren't that bad. Then again I'm on the Northside, maybe the South has become suddenly impoverished.

Comment

It s November first off there was a match on on Wednesday and also last weekend. Times are tighter but you have a few factors making things look worse at the moment than they probably are. Also the students not having their grant money yet is also probably having a bearing.
      Definition of Insanity. Playing the same game plan over and over again expecting a different result.

Comment

Re: I didn't realise things were that bad.

6 new restaurants, with seating for over 100, opening in the next few weeks - one of which is Dylan McGrath's 8,000 sq feet restaurant.

By all accounts business is way, way up on last year.
        Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Originally posted by mustermog View Post
          It s November first off there was a match on on Wednesday and also last weekend. Times are tighter but you have a few factors making things look worse at the moment than they probably are. Also the students not having their grant money yet is also probably having a bearing.
          But this was less than an hour after the match finished.

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post
            Three of the last four wednesday's i have been out, twice in Ennis and once in mountmellick. Lucas's was very busy the second night but that was Halloween and good (30) the first night, and the druid (mountmellick) had about 25 in the pub last week. Must note have not been out this frequently on a school night in years.
            Definition of Insanity. Playing the same game plan over and over again expecting a different result.

Comment

Re: I didn't realise things were that bad.

Originally posted by Piquet View Post
              The soccer crowd wouldn't be drinking in that neck of the woods. It'd be mental bar all the way.
              "If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards - checkmate!" Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Working...
              X