Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sky+ on demand

http://www.sky.com/ireland/tv/on-demand/

I have decent bb, & sky+hd (and multiroom) already installed. Seems all I have to do is connect the bb router to the Sky+ box.

Is there a catch here? Are the benefits worth the hastle?

p.s. Anywhere handy to buy the cable?
    Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
    Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Sky+ on demand

Standard ethernet cable JCC. It's a very good service, and at no cost. I have a virgin TiVo box since moving, and the sky anytime interface is far better.

Make sure you're on unlimited Internet though or I'd imagine you could get a walloping on the data charges front. An HD tv programme is 1-2 gb.
    "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Seems to be decent enough. Think you have to ring them or opt in as well via your MySky account. (no cost).

My router is in a different room & don't want to be trunking cable through walls so went to order the wireless box off My Sky (only 12.99e) However couldn't complete the order when i went to pay, tried a couple of cards. Had to ring. Spent a 1/2 hour on phone, first they had to 'check' 12.99e price was correct. Said normal price was 69e odd, however got the 'web offer' price. Practically had to convince the girl what i saw on the webpage was correct. Did get the Movies for €1 and ESPN for free aswell.

Awaiting the delivery of the box.

Buy the cable in Maplins

Comment

Thanks BB. Yup my BB is almost unlimited (well 70gb per month) so I don't imagine it'd be an issue.

I like the idea of going back and looking at some of the good series I've missed.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Jardon View Post
          Seems to be decent enough. Think you have to ring them or opt in as well via your MySky account. (no cost).

My router is in a different room & don't want to be trunking cable through walls so went to order the wireless box off My Sky (only 12.99e) However couldn't complete the order when i went to pay, tried a couple of cards. Had to ring. Spent a 1/2 hour on phone, first they had to 'check' 12.99e price was correct. Said normal price was 69e odd, however got the 'web offer' price. Practically had to convince the girl what i saw on the webpage was correct. Did get the Movies for €1 and ESPN for free aswell.

Awaiting the delivery of the box.

Buy the cable in Maplins
          BB router and Sky+HD box are beside each other Robbie so it's pretty handy. I seem to have enabled the service online too.

Comment

Sky+ on demand

Do you ha e to have Sky HD box for this? Have Sky Plus but no HD.
            The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by SecondRowGal View Post
              Do you ha e to have Sky HD box for this? Have Sky Plus but no HD.
              Think it'll work for you fine SRG.

p.s. An old unloved Eircom ethernet cable will make the connection too. Thanks DT.

Comment

Originally posted by John Cooper Clarke View Post
                Think it'll work for you fine SRG.

p.s. An old unloved Eircom ethernet cable will make the connection too. Thanks DT.
                Tis still in the original bag- sealed also. not unloved though, just misunderstood.

Comment

Original packaging?

Comment

Jaysus - we're so far behind the curve in Ireland! Thousands of tv series and movies "on demand" through a relatively basic cable subscription is like sooo last decade's technology!

Thanks for the head's up though and I'll look into this - but Ireland is years behind! I remember visiting the States back in 2006 or so and saying "My god! you can watch any episode of all of those series or hundreds and hundreds of movies anytime you want!? How much does that cost!?" The reply was - "Not much - It's just the mid range cable and movies package"!

Now apparently the internet is all bundled into it with all this streaming stuff - unlimited - wicked fast - and costs less than what we'd pay for basic Sky and Basic BB.

We'll never catch up so I wonder what they will be doing 5 years from now when we're starting to approach the level of service they have now. At least we know what to look forward to....

Comment

Originally posted by John Cooper Clarke View Post
                      Thanks BB. Yup my BB is almost unlimited (well 70gb per month) so I don't imagine it'd be an issue.

I like the idea of going back and looking at some of the good series I've missed.
                      70gb is terrible. I'd top that every month.
                      I have a limit of 500gb per month.

Roger Roger. What's our vector, Victor?
                      --------------------------------------------------------------------
                      RIP Anthony Foley - The greatest of great Munster men.
                      --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by kermit
                        Were you not getting a dodgybox?
                        I had considered it, but multiroom would make it expensive upfront n'est pas?

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Average View Post
                          70gb is terrible. I'd top that every month.
                          I have a limit of 500gb per month.
                          It all depends on your location C.A.

In an urban environment 70gb may well be small, but with 1 foot in the Atlantic Ocean it's top class

Comment

What kind of cap would you need for the Sky+ on demand?

Comment

Originally posted by Bitter As A Lemon View Post
                              What kind of cap would you need for the Sky+ on demand?
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	15621_large.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	280.2 KB
ID:	2471345

Comment

Working...
                              X