• Show
Clear All

Banks - b*****ds

<H1></H1>
    <H1>RBS tells employees: bank with us or go unpaid</H1>

Jill Treanor
    Friday March 23, 2007
    The Guardian

<DIV id=GuardianArticle>Royal Bank of Scotland employees have received a warning from a main board director that they face disciplinary action unless they open a bank account with the Edinburgh-based group.

Staff have received a letter from Gordon Pell, chief executive of the retail markets operations, saying they must have a bank account with RBS to receive their salary. They would need to open an account with NatWest, Royal Bank of Scotland, One Account, Coutts or Adam &amp; Co.

Mr Pell wrote: "I must therefore ask you to open an RBS Group bank account ... Failure to do so will represent a breach of group policy and I will be obliged to write directly to your line manager asking them to progress this matter according to the group's disciplinary policy."

The letter gives a phone number for staff to ring to open an account and obtain benefits from YourBank, an internal bank for staff which provides perks such as cheaper mortgages and higher savings rates. It warns that switching bank accounts can take five weeks so urges them to act immediately.

Rob Macgregor, national officer at the finance union Amicus, said: "Our helpline has been jammed with calls from angry staff. If you work for Tesco you won't be disciplined for buying your groceries from Sainsbury's. RBS's disproportionate and heavy handed approach is counterproductive and bad for morale. Amicus is taking legal advice on this issue and we're prepared to fight this."

RBS retorted that while staff working for Tesco might be free shop elsewhere they would not be entitled to discounts in other grocers' stores.

The problem appears to be with operations bought by RBS, notably the insurance business Churchill, acquired in 2003. About 14,000 of the bank's 135,000 employees are thought to hold accounts with rivals.

RBS said: "In common with industry practice, our terms and conditions require staff to open a current account with us for the payment of their salary. This is made clear to all staff during the interview process and forms part of our overall reward package which includes a wide range of very generous benefits including financial deals. Our staff are completely at liberty to run other accounts with other providers."<!-Article is not commented: 0 -></DIV>
    "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Surely that's not legal?
    <a href=\"http://www.xboxlc.com/profile/Ruck_You\" target=\"_blank\">
    http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/sig/default/Ruck%20You.jpg
    </a>

If you’re fat stay in the ruck - Liam Toland

Comment

id agree ruck, when you start working for a bank you are generally told to open an account to get paid into but if you challenge it theres generally sweet FA they can do about it. AFAIK it goes against EU employment law (but i reserve the right to be talking out my arse)
      "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

Doesn't seem right that, in effect, your employers (and your colleagues) potentially have access to your personal financial details.

I work for GPs - we actively encourage new employees to register with another doctor if they are already registered here, the blurring of the professional boundaries is so potentially tricky.

Hope Not Hate

Comment

Anybody watch Whistleblower about Barclays Bank the other night on BBC?? Wouldn't fancy working for that shower, jeez some of the things the staff were into was hairy scarey.... Charging 30 STG for going over your overdraft limit when it costs the banks a pittance.
          Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Comment

Surely that's against EU working regulations / law. How the helldoes any employer think they have the right to tell you where to bank. As ludicrous astelling you what car to drive or where to live.

Comment

As far as I know, it's like having compulsory membership of a Union or a Pension scheme. They can make it a condition for new employees. That way you can chose whether to do it or not ( obviously if you don't want to, you decline the job offer) . If they try to impose it on current employees, they are on shaky ground. that would be changing their conditions of employment.

Comment

Originally posted by ~Cat~
                Doesn't seem right that, in effect, your employers (and your colleagues) potentially have access to your personal financial details.

Sure just set up a standing order to transfer your salary into your real account ![img]smileys/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

This would make you want to join a union immediately!

I imagine they're on shaky ground re this TBH. Just because they're a bank doesn't mean they can force you to open one of their accounts. (Individual's right tpo privacy?) The bit about financial benefits is a smoke-screen. If you have your mortgage etc elsewhere then there can be no compulsion to open one of their a/c's.

If this were acceptable, we'd all be tied to our employers products and services surely?

This guy (Pell, the CEO) sounds like he'll miss his annual 'fat-cat' bonus if he doesn't get X no. of new accounts open this year!!!!

Trust is good; control is better. V I Lenin.

Comment

im just surprised they havent done this "due to safety and security" this is how they get away with denying people basic rights over there-multinationals are the new aristocracy and they can do what the hell they want.....i mean whats the point of banning smoking and allowing macdonalds to stay open? anyone with any sense would have closed them down years ago-i guess macdonalds cost england more in healthcare for obesity than BAT's do with cancer sticks.....but does anyone do anything?.......they cant
                    If the lessons of history teach us anything it is that nobody learns the lessons that history teaches us.

Comment

Originally posted by munsterforever
                      im just surprised they havent done this "due to safety and security" this is how they get away with denying people basic rights over there-multinationals are the new aristocracy and they can do what the hell they want.....i mean whats the point of banning smoking and allowing macdonalds to stay open? anyone with any sense would have closed them down years ago-i guess macdonalds cost* england more in healthcare for obesity than BAT's do with cancer sticks.....but does anyone do anything?.......they cant
                      Because of the dangers of passive smoking - you make the choice to feck yourself when you go to McDonalds to eat but you can't make that choice if you have to work somewhere where smoking is allowed indoors.
                      Shameless self promotion time ladies and gents!
                      Munster: Early Season
                      Munster: Escape from Pool of Death
                      Munster: HEC Champions 2007/2008
                      Munster: Full Season Highlights.

Comment

thats true cathal but macdonalds know all about child pyscology and use it to get the kids to eat poison-so tey can make more money......in years to come when we develop as a human race companies like macdonalds will be seen as killers
                        If the lessons of history teach us anything it is that nobody learns the lessons that history teaches us.

Comment

Had to transfer money frommy AIB account last week...

When you enter the amount, you have to do it like this: 30 yoyos goes in as 3000 (ie. 3000 cents), 3000 goes in as 300000 etc.

I paid the 22 euro transfer fee and imagine my surprise when I checked my account to find I had paid the 22 to get 30 transferred over! In my rush I had forgotten to add the extra two zeros. So then had to redo the transaction and pay another 22.

My own fault but still an absolute sickener. The exchange rate I got was rubbish as well. B***tards!!
                          Murty\'s gonna get ya

Comment

Originally posted by ~Cat~

I used to work for BOI and staff from other branches were not able to access a BOI employee's staff a/c infomation although co-workers from your own branch could

Comment

Now where are the pitchfork wielding peasants turning up at this guy's stately home at night with burning torches - we haven't evolved we've regressed when we stopped taking people like that guy out the back for a good kicking.

Actually I know that the world's biggest building society at one time did a strong campaign for staff to use more eco friendly transport, car sharing etc etc. When someone pointed out the row of high performance gas guzzlers lined up by the company's senior people outside Head Office they were told it's all a matter of personal choice and you can't criticise that. Same as it's always been one rule for the rich and the rest of us are supposed to shut up and do what we're told.

Comment

Working...
                              X