Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wind farms to provide electricity to the UK market.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wind farms to provide electricity to the UK market.

Whats the scoop with this ? Am I right in how I am reading it?

2,000 jobs, irish subsidiary of an American company,All the electricity to go to the Uk?

What benefits to Ireland bar the 2,000 jobs as electricity is going to UK and money back to the states? I'm guessing the 2000 jobs include construction etc and that these numbers will scale back once farms are operational?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0717/2-0...-business.html

from the link

"The project is expected to generate 2,000 full time jobs in the operation, maintenance and servicing of the wind farms."

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
      Whats the scoop with this ? Am I right in how I am reading it?

2,000 jobs, irish subsidiary of an American company,All the electricity to go to the Uk?

What benefits to Ireland bar the 2,000 jobs as electricity is going to UK and money back to the states? I'm guessing the 2000 jobs include construction etc and that these numbers will scale back once farms are operational?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0717/2-0...-business.html
      You're reading it correctly. It would be great if it was an Irish company doing this, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Drick View Post
        from the link

"The project is expected to generate 2,000 full time jobs in the operation, maintenance and servicing of the wind farms."
        Seems huge if thats the case. I know people involved in the wind farms in West Cork,workforces are tiny in comparison to whats being talked about in the link.

Does anyone know much about this project,based on 2k workforce,it sounds absolutely massive.

Comment

Its probably 1,000 turbines across the 40 new wind farms.

well done btw Taz on finding or trying to find the negative in a positive Jobs news story.

Comment

Uk hit their target on renewables without upsetting the voters. Handy for them.
            I hope this isn't another natural resource giveaway
            2000 jobs is great though, and many in rural communities.
            Last edited by Huwie; 17-July-2012, 11:39.
            The axe that cuts the tree can easily forget, but the tree thats been cut will not forget.

Originally posted by the plastic paddy
            Gwan the Welsh

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
              Does anyone know much about this project,based on 2k workforce,it sounds absolutely massive.
              Don't know about this project, but an €8 billion investment is obviously massive. The Midlands will be covered in wind turbines.

Comment

Originally posted by Drick View Post
                Its probably 1,000 turbines across the 40 new wind farms.

well done btw Taz on finding or trying to find the negative in a positive Jobs news story.
                Nahhh 2000 jobs is great news.Maybe my form is funny today,apologies.

Comment

They're also talking about the "10,000 construction jobs it will create on both sides of the Irish sea". Temporary of course but helpful.

I assume a lot of this will be based on the west coast too as a huge amount of anchors will have to be set off the west coast to prevent us from blowing into the UK! A situation that is favourable to some groups but which many want prevented including the ferries companies and the residents in coastal towns and resorts in Ireland, England, Scotland and Wales.
                  Last edited by No. 16; 17-July-2012, 13:49.

Comment

Originally posted by No. 16 View Post
                    I assume a lot of this will be based on the west coast too as a huge amount of anchors will have to be set off the west coast to prevent us from blowing into the UK! A situation that is favourable to some groups but which many want prevented including the ferries companies and the residents in coastal towns and resorts in Ireland, England, Scotland and Wales.
                    Wind turbines take the energy out of the wind, so if anything, they'll prevent us from blowing to the UK!!

Comment

Obvioulsy, it's good new with the jobs, but am I missing someting?

The new wind farms are proposed for Co Meath, Westmeath, Kildare, Laois and Offaly.
                      Why would you build wind farms in the flattest, least windy parts of Ireland?
                      Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Just what the Irish countryside/coast needs ... even more f*cking man-made eyesores.
                        "Just to be clear, Poite is an idiot" The Plastic Paddy 11-04-2012

Comment

I'm always very suspicious of these wind turbine companies. Planning permission for these types of projects are always notoriously hard to get, so claiming an €8 billion investment and 2,000 odd jobs are going to be created will always help. I'm with Taz on this tbh, I doubt 2,000 long term jobs would be created maintaining every wind farm in the country never mind with this project. They seem extremely vague as to whether all those jobs will be in Ireland either...

They are still looking for planning permission so this "PR" stunt is a load of codswallop created to put pressure on politicians and An Bord Plean imho...

Finally, does anyone else not think it would be crazy to put all these ugly windfarms up and all of the energy leave the country.
                          \"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness\".
                          Dalai Lama

Comment

Originally posted by beir bua View Post
                            Wind turbines take the energy out of the wind, so if anything, they'll prevent us from blowing to the UK!!
                            Nuh uh. I had a pinwheel in the flower bed and when it got really windy the stick was bending. So if I taped it to a boat for instance - It would help it...emmm. Ok. Nevermind. I still think we should set the anchors just in case. That's gonna be a lot of pinwheels.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post
                              Obvioulsy, it's good new with the jobs, but am I missing someting?

The new wind farms are proposed for Co Meath, Westmeath, Kildare, Laois and Offaly.

Why would you build wind farms in the flattest, least windy parts of Ireland?

SHHHH! Let them build them there! Sing it with me....."Ohhhhklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plain....."

Comment

Working...
                              X