Heading to Paris

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heading to Paris

I'm heading off to Paris with herself tomorrow for a few days.

Is there any thing I should really do?? Been there before so have the eiffel tour, notre dame and etc. along the Seine donebut I'll have to do all them again with herself so something different the following daywould be nice. She will require a day shopping as well so any recommendations for that would be good too. Staying in Montparnasse/St. Germain area.

Thanking you!
    It happened, and I was there.
    4.48pm, Saturday 20th May 2006.
    What does grease taste like? Is it like chicken?

If you or herself are into art the Monet museum is well worth a look.

http://www.museums-of-paris.com/musee_en.php?code=351
    Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Musee d'Orsay is worth an amble.

Eurodisney ?

Walk up Rue Lepic around lunch time [img]smileys/razz.gif[/img], towards the Sacre Coeur

Comment

Not into art but would probably head along for a look anyway but I would imagine the Louvre would probably be enough on this occasion.

A day in eurodisney doesn't really appeal either.

Whats the Latin Quarter like?? For food and drink in the evening is there any areas you would recommend? Not individual restaurants but areas where the choice is plentiful?

Comment

As you probably already know, the open top bus tour is an ideal way to see Paris, particularly on a good day.If you take it on a cold day, be well wrapped up.

On a clear day, the climb to Sacre Coeur is well worth it , for the spectacular view of Paris.

Comment

On a similiar mission myself,Ballyman. 12.10 from Shannon.
            The early bird catches the worm but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Comment

I was in Paris a few weeks ago, went to the top Lonely Planet recommended restaurants and the food was poor to middling, I'd recommend taking your chances in any place that you like the look of.

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur Guinness

On a similiar mission myself,Ballyman. 12.10 from Shannon.

I'm flying from Dublin. Enjoy the few days!

Comment

The Louvre is incredible, and my other half was very taken with Moulin Rouge even thought it's a bit ofa tourist trap. Bloody Marys at Harry's Bar in L'Opera, Napoleon's Tomb (at Ecole Militaire, I think?), Shakespeare and Cobook shop by Notre Dame.
                  "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

A trip out to Versailles is nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Ballyman

Not into art but would probably head along for a look anyway but I would imagine the Louvre would probably be enough on this occasion.

A day in eurodisney doesn't really appeal either.

Whats the Latin Quarter like?? For food and drink in the evening is there any areas you would recommend? Not individual restaurants but areas where the choice is plentiful?

You're probably in the right spot in St Germain for that, Ballyman. Definitely my favourite area of Paris for just wondering around.

I'd agree with Dawn Run about jst wondering around, but the Observer did an excellent list that can be found here:

@@@@SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"> http://observer.guardian.co.uk/foodm...ory/0,,1761112, 00.html@@@@/SPAN>

@@@@SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">@@@@/SPAN>
                      "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Whereabouts is the Moulin Rouge and what exactly is out there??

What Metro is closest?

Comment

http://www.sightseeing-tours-in-pari...lin-rouge-show. php?gclid=CJTI-Leig4sCFSUeGAodIRdTKA
                          Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

What Metro is closest?

It's on Blvd de Clichy,nearest Metro Blanche. Not much else around there other thanstrip clubs -BdC runs down to Pigalle. Some websites are a bit hysterical about the area's roughness, but I'd say it's somewhere onto Sohoin the late80's/early 90's rather than all out red light district. It's also only a skip and a jump from Montmatreif you want to head up to Sacre Cour.

Pricey though - about 150 euros for dinner and show. You can do show only at about midnight.

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy

What Metro is closest?

It's on Blvd de Clichy,nearest Metro Blanche. Not much else around there other thanstrip clubs -BdC runs down to Pigalle. Some websites are a bit hysterical about the area's roughness, but I'd say it's somewhere onto Sohoin the late80's/early 90's rather than all out red light district. It's also only a skip and a jump from Montmatreif you want to head up to Sacre Cour.

Pricey though - about 150 euros for dinner and show. You can do show only at about midnight.

You can also get off at Place de Clichy metro stop and you'll pass by Corcorans pub (a few doors up from MR) I spent 15 months in the Mercure just around the corner and I found it to be fine. Just take normal precautions.

Also for Restaurant recommendations...from the thread here. I can highly recommend Le Suffren (was there again in January) it is near the Eiffel Tower.

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 392pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=522 border=0 x:str>
                              <T>
                              <TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17>
                              <TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17>Place</TD>
                              <TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8">Name</TD>
                              <TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8">Cusine</TD>
                              <TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8">C/M/E</TD>
                              <TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8">Recommend</TD>
                              <TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8">Rate</TD></TR>
                              <TR style="HEIGHT: 38.25pt" height=51>
                              <TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 38.25pt" height=51>Paris</TD>
                              <TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 99pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8" width=132 ="xl30">Le Suffren
                              84 Avenue de Suffren, 75015@@@@SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">@@@@/SPAN></TD>
                              <TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 50pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8" width=67 ="xl27">French/Trad</TD>
                              <TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8">M</TD>
                              <TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8">Everything, Superb</TD>
                              <TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8" align=right x:num>5</TD></TR>
                              <TR style="HEIGHT: 102pt" height=136>
                              <TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 102pt" height=136>Paris</TD>
                              <TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 99pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8" width=132 ="xl30">Le Bouclard
                              <FONT face

Comment

Working...
                              X