Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Todays job losses ! I’m one of them..

Double jobs blow for the country

Up to 400 jobs are to go across Ireland.

The news comes after a High Court ordered the winding up of packaging company Ire-Tex.

Ire-Tex has been on a downward spiral after its biggest contract, Dell computers, pulled out recently.

Attempts to find a new investor have failed.

The 170 jobs were in Limerick, Kildare and Meath.

Meanwhile Sanofi-Aventis has announced plans to lay off up to 200 workers in Waterford.

The multinational told staff this morning that it was planning to close its factory at the end of the year.

The closure, the company claims, is being proposed to help it remain competitive in the global pharmaceutical marketplace.

Consultations with employees are to begin immediately.

Just like to let you know I am one of them ! My employer went into liquidation yesterday and I was officially informed today that I am now unemployed, not being paid for this week or last, that my pay arrears should be paid in 3 to 4 weeks and that I should receive my statutory redundancy lump sum (2 weeks x 4 years) in 6 to 8 weeks. I was a Safety Officer attached to Dell with IRE-TEX Limerick. Absolutely gutted, frustrated, angry and God knows what else. Have to go to that damn red building on Dominic Street tomorrow.
    "Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too ?" - Douglas Adams

jaysus, sorry to hear that Jmccoy. that's terrible.
    <a href=\"http://www.xboxlc.com/profile/Ruck_You\" target=\"_blank\">
    http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/sig/default/Ruck%20You.jpg
    </a>

If you’re fat stay in the ruck - Liam Toland

Comment

Commisserations JMcC,been there worn the T Shirt,might seem like it now but believe me its not the end of the world.
      What once were vices,now are habits

Comment

Sorry to hear that. Was in the same boat with Apple a few years back. Best of luck with the job hunting!

Had you had any warning beforehand?

Munster - Incessant Perfervidity
        "Ireland Will Choke" - Jeremy Guscott

Comment

Just remember that every cloud has a silver lining.

Comment

Tough luck, been there as well. Arrived up for work at the same time the police did. My boss had done a runner, paid monthly and it was the end of the month and no redundancy.

Best of luck looking for a new job.
            Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Sorry to hear that.
              My computer thinks I'm gay
              What's the difference anyway
              When all the people do all day
              Is stare into a phone

Comment

Yes we have been in an examinership process for the past month and a bit in an attempt to rescue the company. An external investor had an interest but pulled out during the week. The examiner went to the high court yesterday stating that there was no point incontinuing and the judge ordered that the company be wound up and that the examiner assume the role of liquidator.

Thanks for the support lads ! Its amazing though that I'm still off the cigs, they are not taking that achievment from me.
                "Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too ?" - Douglas Adams

Comment

hard luck jmccoy ... hope things work out for you.

Comment

fair play on staying off the smokes Jmc. i'd be puffin away at the smokes like there was no tomorrow if i was in that position.
                    <a href=\"http://www.xboxlc.com/profile/Ruck_You\" target=\"_blank\">
                    http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/sig/default/Ruck%20You.jpg
                    </a>

If you’re fat stay in the ruck - Liam Toland

Comment

Been there before myself so I'm not being trite when I say its not the end of the world. My advice is to chill out, i.e. don't go on the batter, and think about what you'd like to do. There's loads of jobs out there and while you may end up doing something completely different I bet when you look back in ten years you'll say things worked out for the best.

Comment

Sorry jim, there's still alot of work out there though so go after it hard.

What was the Dell connection?
                        Anybody who sees a psychiatrist would want their head examined.*&nb sp;Henry Ford

Comment

Sorry to hear the news JMc, been there myself and it's a bad feeling. Keep the head up, it's not easy and words are of little consolation at this time, but just get working on the CV's and using any contacts you can to get another number. Anything beats that soul-destroying building in Dominic St.

Good luck (and stay away from the smokes)

Comment

Originally posted by cornerboy

Sorry jim, there's still alot of work out there though so go after it hard.

What was the Dell connection?

Packaging I think for Dell which was about 70% of their revenue. Heard about Iretex yesterday evening as was involved with moving some of their goods.

Jim, I know its a bummer today but try and look on the bright side. I was laid off from my job last May (cost cutting which was a rubbish reason) but had 2 months off work and was working again in July.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoof Hearted

Anything beats that soul-destroying building in Dominic St.

If you think they are bad, try the crowd up in Ennis, they look down their nose at you as if you are a piece of s**t on the bottom of their shoe, never mind the fact that you have been paying PRSI for the last 18 years and are more than entitled to claim unlike some of the people that I have seen there.

Sorry rant over, probably not helping you Jim.
                              Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Comment

Working...
                              X