Denis O'Brien- Imperial Mega-Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lawrence View Post
    From reading online about this situation there is a lot of hatred towards OBrien, some may be warranted but there are a few things I don't get and would appreciate the enlightenment of the sophisticated from here.

He's a private citizen, like most, so his financial dealings should be confidential? Why is it a case of hating the player not the game?

It's well known that he greased palms to get mobile licences, but why is it not the public representative, being payed by the people who took the bribe that is most at fault, had he not done this then someone else would have?
    His "private" banking affairs become a matter of public interest when it transpires that he may be the beneficiary of favourable treatment from the liquidators of a state run financial institution while that same state is seeing classroom sizes, homelessness and the number of people waiting on trolleys in hospital corridors continuing to rise. It also, I'd imagine, pissed people off no end to see him use his money to try and prevent media institutions from reporting on these matters when raised in the Dáil, as they are constitutionally entitled to do. He would have succeeded too were it not for the bravery of those on broadsheet.ie who he also tried to bully into silence. All without a word from a Government who appear utterly ****ing petrified of him.

I can't even begin to fathom the outrage were it revealed in the Dáil that SIPTU or UNITE may have benefited from personal connections with state run institutions in taking millions from state coffers.
    "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

Originally posted by rathbaner View Post
      He's our first Russian-style oligarch. So it's bound to attract comment.
      A man named Laurence might beg to differ but he usually shies away from media attention these days.
      The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

Originally posted by Jenta View Post
        His "private" banking affairs become a matter of public interest when it transpires that he may be the beneficiary of favourable treatment from the liquidators of a state run financial institution while that same state is seeing classroom sizes, homelessness and the number of people waiting on trolleys in hospital corridors continuing to rise. It also, I'd imagine, pissed people off no end to see him use his money to try and prevent media institutions from reporting on these matters when raised in the Dáil, as they are constitutionally entitled to do. He would have succeeded too were it not for the bravery of those on broadsheet.ie who he also tried to bully into silence. All without a word from a Government who appear utterly ****ing petrified of him.

I can't even begin to fathom the outrage were it revealed in the Dáil that SIPTU or UNITE may have benefited from personal connections with state run institutions in taking millions from state coffers.

Which is fine, but how is he at fault for getting the best deal he can? Should an equivalent amount or more attention not be put on the people who gave him the preferential rate? He's a business man looking after his best interests, playing the games by the rules that are set by the government, the moral outrage is just being directed at one person, probably because that's easier that directing it at IBRC, because it's an entity, or was.

Comment

Originally posted by lawrence View Post
          Which is fine, but how is he at fault for getting the best deal he can? Should an equivalent amount or more attention not be put on the people who gave him the preferential rate? He's a business man looking after his best interests, playing the games by the rules that are set by the government, the moral outrage is just being directed at one person, probably because that's easier that directing it at IBRC, because it's an entity, or was.
          The extra attention he has received this week was as a result of his attempts to bully people into agreeing not to report on matters discussed in the Dáil. Ironically if he hadn't bother seeking to enjoin RTE int he first place I'd imagine there'd be much less of a spotlight on him.

Before the whole injunction mess and back when Siteserv was still the major issue IBRC were under far greater public scrutiny than DOB.

Anyway if you can't fathom why people living in a country that has been struggling economically for the best part of a decade would be slightly irked by a billionaire tax-exile receiving favourable treatment from a state-run institution then public opinion might not be your strong suit.
          "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

The people who gave him the rates weren't the ones who sought the injunction.

There are two issues (i) the issue of the rates and whether or not they were preferential and (ii) the tactics employed to try to block the reporting of the former.

I think most people are pissed off more about the latter than the former.
            Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Originally posted by theghost View Post
              also one that is not above the law
              What laws is he accused of breaking?

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post
                The people who gave him the rates weren't the ones who sought the injunction.

There are two issues (i) the issue of the rates and whether or not they were preferential and (ii) the tactics employed to try to block the reporting of the former.

I think most people are pissed off more about the latter than the former.
                They did actively support the injunction. They also criticised Catherine Murphy for what she said and also criticised a senior department of finance official for questioning their attitude on being nationalised as well as their working methods. Alan Dukes who was originally appointed as a public interest director could not even describe what acting in the public interest meant.

Comment

Yes, I agree, but supporting it isn't the same as doing it.
                  Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

I note from young Jenny's post [no. 122] that "classroom sizes ..... have contined to rise". This is quite remarkable - presumably the builders must have used elasticated building materials. How was planning permission obtained for these expanding classrooms?
                    New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

Oh jesus dog is it just for the tiresome pedantry that you've come back here?
                      "Everything good about Ireland can be found in County Cork"....Lonely Planet Guide 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpasimpson View Post

Oh jesus dog is it just for the tiresome pedantry that you've come back here?
                        Who am I to say? Why not follow my posts for a while and then make up your own mind?
                        New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

His "private" banking affairs become a matter of public interest when it transpires that he may be the beneficiary of favourable treatment from the liquidators of a state run financial institution while that same state is seeing classroom sizes, homelessness and the number of people waiting on trolleys in hospital corridors continuing to rise.
                          In all fairness Jenta, that statement is fairly loopers.

You link his "preferential treatment" to a range of worsening social issues and then argue that his private banking affairs are consequently of public interest! Sorry - I just can't get my head around your logic.
                          "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
                          Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

The extra attention he has received this week was as a result of his attempts to bully people into agreeing not to report on matters discussed in the Dáil. Ironically if he hadn't bother seeking to enjoin RTE int he first place I'd imagine there'd be much less of a spotlight on him.

Before the whole injunction mess and back when Siteserv was still the major issue IBRC were under far greater public scrutiny than DOB.

Anyway if you can't fathom why people living in a country that has been struggling economically for the best part of a decade would be slightly irked by a billionaire tax-exile receiving favourable treatment from a state-run institution then public opinion might not be your strong suit.

The problems of the country are not his making, that he is a billionaire is irrelevant, tax exile is exactly what he should be, as it is the most advantageous thing for him to be, I have an issue with the rate being given, and that is the fault of the giver, not the receiver,.

I've a tracker mortgage, is that my fault? Should I give it back ? Does that give the public a right to see my accounts?

Comment

Originally posted by The Word Is Born View Post
                              A man named Laurence might beg to differ but he usually shies away from media attention these days.

FFS O'Reilly wanted a similar type control as DOB.

Comment

Is this the tribunals official account?

https://twitter.com/MoriartyTribun

Interesting reading again about denis o'briens antics that were detailed during the moriarty tribunal.
                                Siteserv just seems to be ESAT mark II

Comment

Working...
                                X