Banned for Discussing Property

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Banned for Discussing Property

I was just banned from askaboutmoney.com for discussing property, the official reason was that I "rudely resigned".

I wrote a fairly banal piece summarising four points from this survey from the CSO, quoting some stats, both good and bad about house prices. My piece was deleted without notice, and I queried the mod about this afterwards by PM, he responded to look at discussion rules, I responded by thanking him for his vague answer ( the main rule is that you can't query mods on the thread), and said I didn't plan to write on the site if he was the quality of mod., I used no bad language or very offensive comments beyond saying that his tone was very omnipotent, my manner was rude though.

It seems thatI stumbled on a thorny subject on the board, discussionof property prices was stopped until just recently, and a number of members have been banned. I mostly don't like listening to people outbidding eachother about how bad property could get myself, but a fairly civilised debate should be ok, and their are some genuinely bad stats etc. out there.

The thing that gets me is that I mostly defended the bulk of property prices, but referred to the scale of employment in construction, and that some jobs would have to go etc., that wasthe worst of whatI said, I also said I thought that the best case scenario was prices stagnation to modest risesfor a while alongside far lower construction output.

The main gripe for me was that the attitude of the mod was completely appalling,. It's a great site for picking up info. on financial matters.

I wasn't on this site for a while, I'll have to come back here more often again[img]smileys/sad.gif[/img]

Is the MOD there a Born Again Communist????? Think he might be a Chartered Accountant to boot and you cant be showing him up with your real knowledge of the Property market[img]smileys/razz.gif[/img]

Comment

The annoying thing about the whole thing was that it is probably the most pathetic banning I've ever heard of, I should have done a James Dean[img]smileys/redface.gif[/img]

Comment

I left when they killed the 'Current Sentiment in the Irish Property Market' thread. There's a huge crowd of exiles on www.thepropertypin.com and to a lesser extent on boards.ie

Both of those sites will allow you debate openly. AAM doesn't allow you.

Kiva - Loans That Change Lives

Comment

Next time someone complains about my moderation, I think they should be sent for one months penal servitude on askaboutmoney ! They'd learn fairly fast how lucky they are here ! [img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]

Pedantic would be the kindest word I would use for them. I had an argument with one of them over compassion in some social welfare issue(whereas he had a hang 'em high philosophy [img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]).

Comment

Originally posted by daveirl
            I left when they killed the 'Current Sentiment in the Irish Property Market' thread. There's a huge crowd of exiles on www.thepropertypin.com and to a lesser extent on boards.ie

Cheers Dave, I might check that out.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragusa
              Is the MOD there a Born Again Communist????? Think he might be a Chartered Accountant to boot and you cant be showing him up with your real knowledge of the Property market[img]smileys/razz.gif[/img]

Right wing more than left, Ragusa !

Comment

No Point you're definitely ok! People only have minor complaints about things here, AAM resembles North Korea at times.
                Kiva - Loans That Change Lives

Comment

Clon can you post what you had intended to post here ?

Comment

Originally posted by Point

The mod asked for a thread with some facts etc. on construction, with sources. I summarised four points from the above linked CSO report, which from memory were ( they aren't that sexy):

1 Ireland outputs 20 houses per thousand of population in 2005, the average for the rest of Europe was 5. At the same time untilabout 3 years ago our housing stock per 1000 of population was one of the lowest, just above Poland and Slovakia, and that the Census of 2006 showed that our stocks were now only a par with Britain, and still behind much of Europe. So some catchup has been going on.

2 We have approx. 350,000 employed in construction, or in the service sector dependent on contruction, their was a table comparing the rest of Europe and our employment levels were 50% higher per capita than in Britain. This implied about 116,000 jobs, which I said was very worrying.

The other points were to do with affordability, the table in the report showed that the %age of net take home pay (after tax) that was taken up by mortgage payments was no worse now than 10 years ago, but I warned that the table was based on rates of 3.3%, and rates had risen to over 4.5% now and going higher.

After I complained he added rules to say you can't PM the mod on the topic, on top of the previous rule of not discussing the mods decisions with people, a later rule was added saying that a summary of certain posts would be added to the mods first post and the mod could delete that persons post if they wished, an inaccurate summary of my point 1 was added, noe one elses post was dealt with this way.

The main gripe was the attitude of the mod. really stunk, I probably stumbled upon a sensitive topic for him without really being aware of it.

I did say that prices might barely rise, but that jobs would have to be lost in construction over the next few years( that was the most bearish part).

Comment

You are a saint compared to AAM mods, by the way Point[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

Comment

Welcome back Clon - I missed you - and the weekly "TV on the Box" thread has gone to the dogs completely. [img]smileys/confused.gif[/img]
                        New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

Think this should be made a sticky and required reading for every poster on mf[img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img]
                          Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Originally posted by Clon

The mod asked for a thread with some facts etc. on construction, with sources. I summarised four points from the above linked CSO report, which from memory were ( they aren't that sexy):

1 Ireland outputs 20 houses per thousand of population in 2005, the average for the rest of Europe was 5. At the same time untilabout 3 years ago our housing stock per 1000 of population was one of the lowest, just above Poland and Slovakia, and that the Census of 2006 showed that our stocks were now only a par with Britain, and still behind much of Europe. So some catchup has been going on.

2 We have approx. 350,000 employed in construction, or in the service sector dependent on contruction, their was a table comparing the rest of Europe and our employment levels were 50% higher per capita than in Britain. This implied about 116,000 jobs, which I said was very worrying.

The other points were to do with affordability, the table in the report showed that the %age of net take home pay (after tax) that was taken up by mortgage payments was no worse now than 10 years ago, but I warned that the table was based on rates of 3.3%, and rates had risen to over 4.5% now and going higher.

After I complained he added rules to say you can't PM the mod on the topic, on top of the previous rule of not discussing the mods decisions with people, a later rule was added saying that a summary of certain posts would be added to the mods first post and the mod could delete that persons post if they wished, an inaccurate summary of my point 1 was added, noe one elses post was dealt with this way.

The main gripe was the attitude of the mod. really stunk, I probably stumbled upon a sensitive topic for him without really being aware of it.

I did say that prices might barely rise, but that jobs would have to be lost in construction over the next few years( that was the most bearish part).

[img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img], that would nearly get you a doctorate here ! [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

Very interesting info though, I think you are right that it may be fairly sensitive for the AAM mods (maybe they havea bit of property investment themselves ?).

The Construction jobs is a key one, I wonder how many non-nationals working in construction ? There will surely be a percentage who will leave once they are able to work in Germany, France etc. ?

Comment

[img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img], that would nearly get you a doctorate here ! [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

Very interesting info though, I think you are right that it may be fairly sensitive for the AAM mods (maybe they havea bit of property investment themselves ?).

The Construction jobs is a key one, I wonder how many non-nationals working in construction ? There will surely be a percentage who will leave once they are able to work in Germany, France etc. ?

The report said only about 10% are foreign nationals, which sounded very low to me, so their could still be problems there. The mod's full time job would probably be sensitive to bad news coming from his site alright ( I checked up after the banning),I googled his mod name (his first name) and the site name and a lot of stories about his finance and accounting roles came up, I'd better leave the story at that though.

Comment

Working...
                              X