Major investment in NTL and Chorus

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Major investment in NTL and Chorus

@@@@SPAN id=news_content>@@@@SPAN =storyline>Major investment in NTL and Chorus@@@@/SPAN>
    @@@@/SPAN>

UPC, the parent company of NTL and Chorus has announced a €300m investment plan for the television and telecommunications providers.

The funding will be used to upgrade the group's services and networks.

The plan includes the upgrade of cable networks to support digital TV, voice and broadband, the roll-out of high definition and DVR services, an upgrade to the national digital channel capacity as well and the upgrading of its national MMDS network to digital.

HD! Eggsellent! But if they're only starting now...
    Munster - Incessant Perfervidity
    "Ireland Will Choke" - Jeremy Guscott

Comment

=Higher prices..

Comment

irishtimes.com - Last Updated: Tuesday, May 4, 2010, 14:19
        <H1>UPC to spend €3m on rebranding</H1>
        <DIV style="CLEAR: left"></DIV>
        CIARAN HANCOCK, Business Affairs Correspondent

Cable TV and broadband provider UPC is dropping the NTL and Chorus brand names as part of a major rebranding exercise launched today.

UPC plans to spend €3 million over the next three months on a high-profile media campaign – fronted by broadcaster Craig Doyle - to publicise its rebranding.

It is also lighting up a number of buildings in Dublin, Galway and Cork, including Busáras and Boland’s Mills.

The company also announced plans to upgrade its fibre-power broadband speeds to 100 megabytes per second from August, which will give it the fastest service in the Irish telecoms markets.

“This will be available to all the homes we have cabled within the next 18 months,” UPC Ireland’s chief executive Robert Dunn told The Irish Times today. He declined to reveal the pricing structure for the service.

Mr Dunn also confirmed that UPC had received the final approvals to acquire assets from broadband rival Broadworks, which was in liquidation. This will give it access to about 6,600 homes in west Dublin and Meath. The Competition Authority cleared the deal on April 21st.

At the end of 2009, UPC Ireland had 504,800 TV subscribers, 148,100 broadband customers and provided telephone services to 60,000 homes.

Comment

I've been using their digital tv, bb, dvr and telephone service at home for a good while now.

It's good value.

Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
          Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

100 mb per second, surely there isnt enough internet to download to warrant that speed for a home user
            Im here to spread the word..common sense is not just for animals

Comment

Originally posted by Duffman
              100 mb per second, surely there isnt enough internet to download to warrant that speed for a home user
              I think mine is 3mb [img]smileys/redface.gif[/img]
              Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
              Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Originally posted by Mebawsa Ritchie
                I think mine is 3mb [img]smileys/redface.gif[/img]
                Sure Multinational corporations get by daily on 3mb lines. (leased lines)
                Im here to spread the word..common sense is not just for animals

Comment

Chorus still trying to get their crap together. That's gas.
                  "This was the performance Ireland had been threatening all championship but had only managed to produce in fits and starts. Defeats at the hands of France and Wales had put paid to their title aspirations, never mind a Grand Slam, but yesterday’s emphatic 24-8 win shows that this is a team moving in the right direction."

The Irish Times after Ireland beat England at Lansdowne Road on 19/03/11

Comment

I've been using their digital tv, bb, dvr and telephone
                    service at home for a good while now. It's good value.
                    +1 - No complaints from me - the bb in particular is fast
                    (3mb) and I have no problems with the TV or phone. I
                    regulalry hear from friends with sat dishes that reception
                    was poor in bad weather e.g. heavy rain, fog and
                    hailstones.

I suspect the 100Mb bit above is a bit of spin - it may be
                    'available', but at what cost? Everything's available - if you
                    have the shekels!

BTW - anyone else have ESPN Classic? What a channel! In
                    the last 2 weeks, they've showed Lions tour matches from
                    '93 and 97 as well as Tri-nations from 2000. Last night I
                    +'d 5 matches which are on at 0200-ish between now and
                    Sat.....getting to watch them will be the problem now...!
                    Trust is good; control is better. V I Lenin.

Comment

having competition in the marketplace is required... if Sky were the only multi-channel option in this country their charges would be far highe, at least UPC being nationwide means there has to be some sort of sanity in pricing.

Though the UPC site drives me 'round the bend with the lack of information on what's included in the packages for MMDS customers. Last info I got from them just listed 3 new price bands without saying what the difference in channel-set in them was [img]smileys/sad.gif[/img]

Plato: \"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.\"

Comment

I think mine is 3mb [img]smileys/surprised.gif[/img]ops:
                        Sure Multinational corporations get by daily on 3mb lines. (leased lines)
                        Mine is currently about 50 odd mb/s. (it varies from 50 to 80)

the more you have the more you enjoy it.
                        "If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards - checkmate!" Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Working...
                        X