SymReal = window.;
    window. = Sym;
    }

SymReal&#079;nLoad = window.&#111;nload;
    window.&#111;nload = Sym&#079;nLoad;

//->

<H1>Report calls for more women civil servants in senior roles</H1>

Miriam Donohoe, Political Staff

The number of women holding senior positions in the Civil Service should be increased and more "work-life balance" measures encouraged, according to a new report commissioned by the Government.

The report raises concern at the low number of women and disabled candidates seeking promotion in the Civil Service due to a belief that flexible working patterns would not be compatible with more responsibility.

The Civil Service Equality Initiatives Report, which was discussed by Cabinet this week, reveals that only 33 per cent of assistant principal posts are held by women. While this is in keeping with current targets, higher targets need to be set, the report states.

It also urges that women should hold a minimum of 27 per cent of principal officer positions. This figure is currently 22 per cent.

The report, to be published shortly, states there are concerns among civil servants that part-time working patterns are incompatible with duties of higher grades.

It also found a widespread perception among staff that flexible working is not viewed positively by managers.

"There was also a view that flexible working could be interpreted as showing a lack of commitment to the job."

The report calls on all Government departments and offices to undertake a review to pinpoint areas which are suitable for flexible working and to identify obstacles to flexible working.

All departments should set out measures to achieve gender balance in strategy statements, the report says.

Staff returning to work from career breaks or other leave should be given the opportunity to express their views on suitable assignments.

It suggests that Government departments use "return-to-work" interviews and questionnaires to gather this information.

The report acknowledges that many departments are taking positive measures to deal with issues that limit opportunities for those taking up work-life balance opportunities.

"The variety of schemes which the Civil Service now offers and the fact that officers up to principal level are now availing of the option to work part-time sends out a strong signal that the service attaches importance to the provision of work-life balance schemes as a way to recruit and retain skilled and experienced female staff."

lets introduce more inefficiency and bureaucracy into the system[img]smileys/c&#111;nfused.gif[/img]

Comment

And a modicum of good scents!

Comment

Why 27%, why not 17%, why to 77%.... feckin mad....

If they want senior positions stop taking 9 months off at time to drop sprogs and stop acting the goul for a week out of every month...

Comment

Originally posted by Fullback

If they want senior positions stop taking 9 months off at time to drop sprogs and stop acting the goul for a week out of every month...
          Did anyone else just get a sudden flashback to the 1950s?
          Hope Not Hate

Comment

Incoming.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            Romani ite Domun

Comment

You mean that they won't have to sleep with me in orderto obtaincareer progression up the ranks any more? [img]smileys/shock.gif[/img]

That's really great news, thanks!
              New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

We need mucho sprogs to fund our enormous pensions - so, as King Lear would say, let copulation thrive
                Last edited by Old Dog; 8th-April-2012, 20:08.
                New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

Its a proven fact that the children produced by civil servants all end up doing orts degrees and smoking pot soI cant see that working.

My computer thinks I'm gay
                  What's the difference anyway
                  When all the people do all day
                  Is stare into a phone

Comment

Seriously though 27%... why not 27.1% or 26.58%....

Comment

Originally posted by neiljung

Staff returning to work from career breaks

like people leaving the civil service to work in the private sector?

Comment

Originally posted by Slaptarse
                        Originally posted by neiljung

Staff returning to work from career breaks

like people leaving the civil service to work in the private sector?

[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

Comment

Or taking term-time leave during the summer. Or leaving a permanent job to take a 2 year contract in another area before returning to the original job.[img]smileys/smile.gif[/img]
                          Shameless self promotion time ladies and gents!
                          Munster: Early Season
                          Munster: Escape from Pool of Death
                          Munster: HEC Champions 2007/2008
                          Munster: Full Season Highlights.

Comment

It's really quite bizzare when you think about it.

The traditional concept was that public servicestaff were employed to perform the many tasks loosely described as "serving the public"but in the new PC era, it turns out that the job must be suited to the member of staff's needs and whims, and not to the requirements of the public (who pays the wages) - or the manager who must ensure that public offices are "manned" adequately during working hours.

It can be summarised in something that I overheard a clerical officer saying on the phone to a pal recently - "I can't talk to you now Sharon 'cause I'm on my tea break - I'll call you back when I'm back at work" [img]smileys/c&#111;nfused.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Cathal
                              Or leaving a permanent job to take a 2 year contract in another area before returning to the original job.[img]smileys/smile.gif[/img]

I don't think that's possible, my understanding is you have to have a business plan to take up another role within Ireland

Comment

Working...
                              X