Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chief’s mate emerges from his cave again!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #31
    Originally posted by Old Dog





    There is a single, fatal, flaw to the poor bewildered loon's logic:- - if the games that he espouses are inherently good of themselves, then people will continue to play and watch them - and if they are not, they will not.


    Anyone who fears the that the present Irish Soccer team represents a realistic threat to Gaelic Games is either a looper or has a pretty poor opinion of Gaelic Football as a sport.

    Thats true for now ,but it might change. The GAA also need to get there own house in order, re the violence that has crept into their games, especially football....awful spectator sport.

    Comment


      #32
      I'm not denying there are problems in the GAA OD and rule changes could certainly improve the game of football for example. A limit on the number of consecutive handpasses would be nice. I'm glad the compromise series has been scrapped though, pretty boring once you take out the fights.
      Grandpa Simpson: The last time the meteors came, we thought the sky was on fire. Naturally, we blamed the Irish. We hanged more \'n a few.

      Comment


        #33

        Originally posted by Point
        Originally posted by Old Dog


        Then decide to scrap the ludicrous compromise series - because if the GAA headscontinue to let that game into Croke Park, then they'd be right damned hypocrites to ban rugby.


        At least with rugby, there would be 15 Irishmen who would not fall to the CP ground, without so much as a whimper ! [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]
        I think you'll find that pretty much all the Irish lads targetted fought back, which resulted in most of Irelands best players being sent to the line or being taken out like Tadgh Kennelly was. If you are marking a professional athlete who grabs you and wrestles with you from the second the ball is thrown in, without sanction, then there's only going to be one winner. You fight back and you and he will be sent to the line, then they can bring on another lad who is just as fast and strong as the lad he's replacing and you lose one of your best players. The Irish lads gave as good as they got in the fighting, but had nothing left then for the game. Just like the aussies wanted. Graham Geraghty had aussie players stand over him laughing when he was unconscious on the ground, high-fiving the lad who tackled him.
        Grandpa Simpson: The last time the meteors came, we thought the sky was on fire. Naturally, we blamed the Irish. We hanged more \'n a few.

        Comment


          #34
          Originally posted by Chief
          Originally posted by Point
          Originally posted by Old Dog


          Then decide to scrap the ludicrous compromise series - because if the GAA headscontinue to let that game into Croke Park, then they'd be right damned hypocrites to ban rugby.


          At least with rugby, there would be 15 Irishmen who would not fall to the CP ground, without so much as a whimper ! [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

          Graham Geraghty had aussie players stand over him laughing when he was unconscious on the ground, high-fiving the lad who tackled him.

          I thought you were pro GAA? You fell right into Point's trap [img]smileys/shock.gif[/img]


          My computer thinks I'm gay
          What's the difference anyway
          When all the people do all day
          Is stare into a phone

          Comment


            #35

            Originally posted by leftwinger

            Thats true for now ,but it might change. The GAA also need to get there own house in order, re the violence that has crept into their games, especially football....awful spectator sport.
            I think you'll find it's the most popular spectator sport in this country. Seriously lads, all this "goodwill" is making me feel warm and fuzzy.
            Grandpa Simpson: The last time the meteors came, we thought the sky was on fire. Naturally, we blamed the Irish. We hanged more \'n a few.

            Comment


              #36


              The jewel in the GAA's crown, Croke Park, has been used to showcase a competing game, played by probably the most celebrated and famous Irish rugby team ever in probably the most hyped up game ever in the most watched live game ever.


              To me, that looks like helping your competition, even on a one-off basis. I don't really get the dismissive posts thrown around this thread. Mr Greenan has made a reasonably valid point (admittedly long-winded and rambling).


              Why are so many of our Munster fans so grumpy?


              "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
              Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

              Comment


                #37


                Funny the IRFU never had a problem letting the soccer crowd use their grounds. They could be considered to be in competition as well?





                BTW I'm not claiming that LR is a or was a Jewel.
                Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

                Comment


                  #38
                  Originally posted by blackwarrior


                  The jewel in the GAA's crown, Croke Park, has been used to showcase a competing game, played by probably the most celebrated and famous Irish rugby team ever in probably the most hyped up game ever in the most watched live game ever.


                  To me, that looks like helping your competition, even on a one-off basis. I don't really get the dismissive posts thrown around this thread. Mr Greenan has made a reasonably valid point (admittedly long-winded and rambling).


                  Why are so many of our Munster fans so grumpy?


                  I hate to highlight the mega flaw in your reasoning but I must.


                  I watched the action on the pitch during the Ireland - England game, not the damned cabaret andanthems, nor thestands, the toilets, bars, the changing roomsor the bloody hot dog stalls. Like almost everywhere else, The grass was green,the goal posts were white with black trimmmings and the lines were white.


                  It could have been played in my lower field for all the attention that I (and thousands like me) paid to the surroundings. Cretins like Greenan may find Gaelic Football so turgid that they spend their time admiring the shiny steel stanchions and inadequate roofing in Croke Park - but true sports fans focus on the action on the pitch.


                  [PS I am not a Munster fan.]


                  New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

                  Comment


                    #39
                    Blackwarrior, can't you see? Everyone is very grateful to those backward d*ckheads the GAA for allowing real sport into taxpayer-funded Croke Park! Now thats what I call a goodwill dividend. Any minute now Point will show up and start talking about bl*wj*bs (the metaphorical kind).[img]smileys/rolleyes.gif[/img]
                    Grandpa Simpson: The last time the meteors came, we thought the sky was on fire. Naturally, we blamed the Irish. We hanged more \'n a few.

                    Comment


                      #40
                      Originally posted by Old Dog


                      It could have been played in my lower field for all the attention that I (and thousands like me) paid to the surroundings.

                      <!-
                      var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
                      var SymReal;

                      Sym()
                      {
                      window.open = SymWinOpen;
                      if(SymReal != null)
                      SymReal();
                      }

                      Sym&#079;nLoad()
                      {
                      if(SymReal&#079;nLoad != null)
                      SymReal&#079;nLoad();
                      window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
                      SymReal = window.;
                      window. = Sym;
                      }

                      SymReal&#079;nLoad = window.&#111;nload;
                      window.&#111;nload = Sym&#079;nLoad;

                      //->


                      There are thousands like you? Who didn't notice the surroundings? Oh yeah!


                      [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]
                      "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
                      Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

                      Comment


                        #41





                        Just for the record, that tongue in cheek post does not in any way represent my sentiments Chief.


                        When the decision was made I welcomed it and expressed my humble thanks to Saint Séan Kelly and the other delegates who had shown such generosity. But the constant moaning from throwbacks like Greenan has really sucked much of the goodwill out of the GAA's magnificentgesture. Also, I have no problem with the GAA receiving State Funding for Croke Park, as long as the other sports are funded in some pro-rata way.
                        New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

                        Comment


                          #42

                          Originally posted by Old Dog

                          I hate to highlight the mega flaw in your reasoning but I must.


                          I watched the action on the pitch during the Ireland - England game, not the damned cabaret andanthems, nor thestands, the toilets, bars, the changing roomsor the bloody hot dog stalls. Like almost everywhere else, The grass was green,the goal posts were white with black trimmmings and the lines were white.


                          @@@@SPAN style="font-weight: bold;">It could have been played in my lower field for all the attention that I (and thousands like me) paid to the surroundings.@@@@/SPAN> Cretins like Greenan may find Gaelic Football so turgid that they spend their time admiring the shiny steel stanchions and inadequate roofing in Croke Park - but true sports fans focus on the action on the pitch.


                          [PS I am not a Munster fan.]
                          [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img] The landed gentry have spoken!
                          Grandpa Simpson: The last time the meteors came, we thought the sky was on fire. Naturally, we blamed the Irish. We hanged more \'n a few.

                          Comment


                            #43

                            Originally posted by Point

                            Originally posted by Chief
                            I don't agree with most of what Mr Greenan says on a regular basis, but bear this in mind. The Ireland England game had the greatest TV audience @@@@SPAN style="text-decorati&#111;n: underline;">ever@@@@/SPAN> for an Irish rugby international. It also had the greatest attendance @@@@SPAN style="text-decorati&#111;n: underline;">ever@@@@/SPAN> for an Irish rugby international. Croke Park was the major factor in all of this. Do not insult my intelligence by telling me this isn't a MASSIVE tool for promoting rugby in this country. There was unprecedented media exposure leading up to, and in the aftermath, of the game. That said the genie is out of the bottle now, so we won't see that same level of hysteria again. Greenan is right in the sense that it is not the GAA's job to promote other sports. The reality on the ground here folks is that the major sports are competing for the hearts and minds of the kids. Maybe in an ideal world they would all hold hands and say "sure isn't it great that they play sport at all" but everyone wants to expand their market share as much as possible. Dunno if that makes Mr Greenan a bigot, but sure it seems most people are these days anyway. Rugby and the GAA can coexist quite happily, but after the CP deal has run its course it's every man for himself.

                            Better to wait until the euphoria has died down before making abetter judgement.


                            In anycase, the GAA are making €7m+ themselves for 4 days work. Greenan is inherently misguided though he reflects the insular nature of the GAA beast. I wonder how much the GAA get from foreign televising of their games ? What if they use part of that money to offset them GIVING their games free to any tv station abroad that will show them ? Would that not be a positive ?
                            Not sure what happened at the last TV deal but before that Setanta were paying more for GAA TV rights outside of the country than RTE were paying for the Irish rights.
                            *<!-
                            var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
                            var SymReal;

                            Sym()
                            {
                            window.open = SymWinOpen;
                            if(SymReal != null)
                            SymReal();
                            }

                            Sym&#079;nLoad()
                            {
                            if(SymReal&#079;nLoad != null)
                            SymReal&#079;nLoad();
                            window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
                            SymReal = window.;
                            window. = Sym;
                            }

                            SymReal&#079;nLoad = window.&#111;nload;
                            window.&#111;nload = Sym&#079;nLoad;

                            //->


                            Comment


                              #44

                              Originally posted by leftwinger
                              Originally posted by Old Dog





                              There is a single, fatal, flaw to the poor bewildered loon's logic:- - if the games that he espouses are inherently good of themselves, then people will continue to play and watch them - and if they are not, they will not.


                              Anyone who fears the that the present Irish Soccer team represents a realistic threat to Gaelic Games is either a looper or has a pretty poor opinion of Gaelic Football as a sport.

                              Thats true for now ,but it might change. The GAA also need to get there own house in order, re the violence that has crept into their games @@@@SPAN style="color: rgb(0, 255, 0);">since Summer 1887@@@@/SPAN>, especially football....awful spectator sport.
                              <!-
                              var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
                              var SymReal;

                              Sym()
                              {
                              window.open = SymWinOpen;
                              if(SymReal != null)
                              SymReal();
                              }

                              Sym&#079;nLoad()
                              {
                              if(SymReal&#079;nLoad != null)
                              SymReal&#079;nLoad();
                              window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
                              SymReal = window.;
                              window. = Sym;
                              }

                              SymReal&#079;nLoad = window.&#111;nload;
                              window.&#111;nload = Sym&#079;nLoad;

                              //->


                              Comment


                                #45
                                Originally posted by blackwarrior
                                Originally posted by Old Dog


                                It could have been played in my lower field for all the attention that I (and thousands like me) paid to the surroundings.

                                <!-
                                var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
                                var SymReal;

                                Sym()
                                {
                                window.open = SymWinOpen;
                                if(SymReal != null)
                                SymReal();
                                }

                                Sym&#079;nLoad()
                                {
                                if(SymReal&#079;nLoad != null)
                                SymReal&#079;nLoad();
                                window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
                                SymReal = window.;
                                window. = Sym;
                                }

                                SymReal&#079;nLoad = window.&#111;nload;
                                window.&#111;nload = Sym&#079;nLoad;

                                //->


                                There are thousands like you? Who didn't notice the surroundings? Oh yeah!


                                [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]





                                I was referring to the TV viewers, you eejit! [img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img] (I couldn't get a ticket!)


                                New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X