X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trouble in the Limerick Cumman

07/03/2007 - 3:31:25 PM

Limerick councillor alleges 'dirty tricks'

A Fianna Fáil general election candidate has accused members of her own party of staging a campaign of dirty tricks against her.

Limerick County Councillor Noreen Ryan claims she was not invited to a recent meeting where the possibility of running a fourth candidate in the General Election for Limerick East was discussed.

In a statement to the media, the county councillor, who was selected to run in Limerick East alongside Minister for Defence Willie O'Dea and Deputy Peter Power, claims running a fourth candidate in this constituency would "damage the party campaign".

Cllr Ryan says that the letter requesting a fourth candidate be added to the ticket was written after a meeting was held "behind closed doors" and she was not invited.

"The fact that some members of Fianna Fáil would call this meeting and not inform all the county councillors indicates that a campaign of dirty tricks is going on against me," she said.

"I have now written to the party leader An Taoiseach Bertie Ahern TD asking him to have the National Executive investigate the matter," she added.

Meanwhile Fianna Fáil Councillor Eddie Wade, who lost his Dáil seat in 2002 to Deputy Power, confirmed this week that a letter has been sent to the Taoiseach asking for his name to be added to the election ticket.

Cllr Wade however, strongly rejects claims that a meeting was held "behind closed doors" to discuss this matter, insisting that it came up during a party meeting, which took place before last week's monthly meeting of Limerick County Council.

"I have been a member of Limerick County Council for 27 years and it is standard practice to have a party meeting before full council meetings. What can I do if people don't show up for these meetings?" said Cllr Wade.

"It is completely out of order to suggest that any special meeting took place or that there was a meeting behind closed doors. We don't operate like that and we have never operated like that," he added.

Cllr Wade, who won a second seat for Fianna Fáil in the Limerick East constituency in 1997, has made no secret of the fact that he was disappointed not to be included on the party's ticket in the upcoming election.

"I've made no secret of the fact that I was disappointed and I'd be delighted to be added to the ticket but mostly for the people who are looking for me to be included. I didn't bring this up it was my party members who suggested writing the letter," said Cllr Wade
    Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

If only FF could select one good candidate ... rather than 4 mediocre ones (Willie is a hard worker though!).

Comment

they're prbably trying to get eddie wade back in the mix,after he went independent.dont think they should,dont have a whole lot of faith in the guy.

as it happens noreens my no.1 vote at the moment(willie doesnt really need it!)
      g\'wan bruff!!

``The answer is not heavy- handed regulations that crush the entrepreneurial spirit and risk- taking of American capitalism. That\'s what\'s made our economy great.\"
      -Barack Obama

\"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics\"
      -thomas sowell

Comment

"Fianna Fáil Councillor Eddie Wade,confirmed this week that a letter has been sent to the Taoiseach asking for his name to be added to the election ticket."

Why has it gone to the Taoiseach? Surely he's far too busy running away from killer helicopters to be bothered to deal with such trivial local issues.The letter should have been sent to the FF NEC.

New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

Eddie Wade[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]..[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]..[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]....separated from Jackie Healy-Rae at birth.

Didn't he create a record in Dáil Éireann for speaking for all of 12 seconds or something during his 5 year term last time? And still managing to put in an expense account higherthan mostMinisters of State.

Think Noreen Ryan should have been given the nod at No. 2, Power has done feckall but push glossy pamphlets of himself through letterboxes since he got in, only made it 'cos WillieO was pushed into using tactical voting strategy last time.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoof Hearted

Eddie Wade[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]..[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]..[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]....separated from Jackie Healy-Rae at birth.

Didn't he create a record in Dáil Éireann for speaking for all of 12 seconds or something during his 5 year term last time? And still managing to put in an expense account higherthan mostMinisters of State.

Think Noreen Ryan should have been given the nod at No. 2, Power has done feckall but push glossy pamphlets of himself through letterboxes since he got in, only made it 'cos WillieO was pushed into using tactical voting strategy last time.

Think that about covers the whole of the FF party. The amount of pure s**te shovelled through my letter box from FF locals saying they are working for the local community is mind boggeling.
            Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Fills up the gaps in the Recycling bag well though....Mr. Binman probably sells it all back to them at knockdown rates. Waiting for one to arrive through the litterbox with a half eaten pizza crust attached to the grinning F'er's mugshot.

Comment

the co clare candidates are a bit slow off the mark .. I've only had rubbish from Timmy dooley and pat breen so far. and dooley's the only one who came door-knocking when I was at home.. and that was last summer !

so far i haven't seen one candidate say anything sensible about clare issues, or ennis in particular - rubbish danger to society A&E at hospital & lethal water supply ! [img]smileys/mad.gif[/img]

they all got mad efficient last year stuffing forms into letterboxs for electoral register updates .. I filled in the form with mynew address .. and where am i registered.. still at my parents place ..[img]smileys/confused.gif[/img]
                Plato: \"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.\"

Comment

Gawd love her. Touring around Limerick for the past 6 months or so in a Focus festooned with FF logos/slogans. Not eaxactly well liked in the area.

Question; is a car that is decked out in FF colours/regalia a workplace?[img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]

The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

Originally posted by The Word Is Born
                    Gawd love her. Touring around Limerick for the past 6 months or so in a Focus festooned with FF logos/slogans. Not eaxactly well liked in the area.

Question; is a car that is decked out in FF colours/regalia a workplace?[img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]

No - more likely to be a tax-free haven.
                    New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

ah,i wouldnt bet against noreen pulling a surprise,she well liked out east limerick.if willies transfers go her way instead of power(dont particularly like the guy,something...i dunno,about him),then she could be there or there abouts.if eddie would just do the decent thing and pull out altogether,she'd have an even better chance. even though hes quite local to me,id never give the guy a vote
                      g\'wan bruff!!

``The answer is not heavy- handed regulations that crush the entrepreneurial spirit and risk- taking of American capitalism. That\'s what\'s made our economy great.\"
                      -Barack Obama

\"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics\"
                      -thomas sowell

Comment

Eddie Wade is a nice guy, bit of a loon though. Big GAA man too.
                        Would never vote for him though.
                        Shameless self promotion time ladies and gents!
                        Munster: Early Season
                        Munster: Escape from Pool of Death
                        Munster: HEC Champions 2007/2008
                        Munster: Full Season Highlights.

Comment

Originally posted by lahinch_lass

the co clare candidates are a bit slow off the mark .. I've only had rubbish from Timmy dooley and pat breen so far. and dooley's the only one who came door-knocking when I was at home.. and that was last summer !

so far i haven't seen one candidate say anything sensible about clare issues, or ennis in particular - rubbish danger to society A&E at hospital & lethal water supply ! [img]smileys/mad.gif[/img]

they all got mad efficient last year stuffing forms into letterboxs for electoral register updates .. I filled in the form with mynew address .. and where am i registered.. still at my parents place ..[img]smileys/confused.gif[/img]

LL, you need to listen to ClareFM and read the (county) papers. Been full of both Breens, Meaney, with the odd bit from Daly &Taylor-Quinn - on what you you mentioned above + renewable energy, bio-fuels, Ennis bypass, etc. Not that I am registered in Clare anymore.

Re. your registration - you sure that your form was processed? You should be able to check with the council. I did a follow-up on ours recently (had some contradictory mail on it)and I must say they're quite efficient and friendlyin Nenagh. But someone did try and delete us from the register.......[img]smileys/shock.gif[/img].

Comment

Originally posted by mike11

But someone did try and delete us from the register.......[img]smileys/shock.gif[/img].

'twas Lowry's henchmen - I saw them myself.

Someone must havetold them thatyou were going to vote for one of the triplets!

Comment

Bruffian, I've metthe E-Lim TDs at various times. Willie and Jan both impress me, and I believe Noonan is quite well respected (mainly for his work on the public accounts ctte), esp in the Dail. Couldn't see anything about either O'Malleyor Power. I've also had the dubious pleasure of meeting Noreen (or does she spell it Noirin?)....... I know I shouldn't be advising you, but think you should stick to supporting Willie; he might like to top the poll again.

Comment

Working...
                              X