Geothermal Heat Pumps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Geothermal Heat Pumps

LAds doing a study on these at the moment jus wondering what ye make of them anyone have any costs etc. Gud installers in the limerick region?do they work?

Very interesting thread here - having read it, I just can't decide which way to jump!
    New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

have a look at www.sei.ie
      "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

The problemappears to bethe payback time, it would need to be a lot cheaper for it to be a nobrainer.

Comment

The biggest problem with them is that your heating bill is tied to electricity prices. At the moment, heat pumps are generally only competitive when the alternative fuel source is oil or wood or LPG. They don't compete well with natural gas boilers for example.

The other big issue is that they are really only suitable for underfloor heating systems, despite what some contractors say. If this is not up to scratch (screed type, pipe layout, insulation, etc ) then you'd be very quickly throwing away any savings the heat pump may give you.

Comment

I had one installed when I was rebuilding a traditional cottage in The Wesht.

I have small kids and it gets very cold and wet here during the rainy season (September to July). I had been living in a typical 1980s bungalow with picture windows and shag all insulation. We burned a lot of oil and always ran out a week before we thought it possible and always on a Sunday lunchtime. It was a real pain. Oil was getting more and more expensive too.

The system (pipes in the field) cost me a lot, twice the price of an average oil fired CH system for a comparable house - (3 bed detached bungalow) . I didn't pinch on insulation either.

The result?
            Cons
            It's not especially cheap to run, I don't think I have saved a great deal on running costs compared with oil.

I am dependant on the ESB grid for heat (same with oil I s'pose as oil pumps are electric)

Each room is on its own thermostat so you tend to set them once and then forget about them until you wake up on a warm day (it happens) and it's way too hot. So you get lazy about being efficient.

Pros
            The house is incredibly cosy. I leave the halfdoor open to the garden about 330 days a year, no kidding, unless the wind is blowing directly in through the doorway- rare because of the orientation of the house.

No internal doors are ever closed except for privacy as there are NO draughts.

Always got hot water, no immersion panics.

i'm not burning any oil whatsoever. (Unfortunately due to poor management the ESB is happily doing that for me!!)

I was talk of the village, people called from all around to see the heat system that burnt nothing.

We have a small open fire which we light for atmosphere and extra comfort on very cold nights.

On reflection:
            I got this system to avoid paying for oil which I expected to rise in cost fairly rapidly. I thought that as i had the capital to invest now, i would reap the benefits later - over the coming 20 years - as the oil ran out and the cost of it rose. I also wanted to avoid shouting at my kids to CLOSE THE f**kING DOOR, which i had been doing before we moved to our present house.
            However I didn't foresee the invasion of Iraq by the global oil industry which has slowed the rise in cost, nor did i foresee the stupidly dogged way the ESB has stuck with oil so that now the cost of electricity has been pegged to the cost oil.
            I wasn't aware of the climate change arguments at the time. But I would guess that sooner or later an Irish government will have to do something about it. Climate change is really about burning oil.

I spoke to an energy advisor once and asked him about it but he more or less f**ked me out of it and told me heat pumps were OK in countries where you had lots of cheap nuclear and hydro electricity but were really crappy here because of the mule-headed ESB and government.

I also installed my system before wood-pellets came on the scene and they do look promising.

Nevertheless. I have to say I am delighted with my heating system and while it is more expensive than i thought it would be, it's not so expensive that I have thought about rationing it like I did with oil. It has added to the quality of life of my kids in subtle ways and is the envy of our neighbours.

If you decide to go with it then make sure you double the standard insulation and make sure you inspect the insulation after to make sure it's done - it really is common for builders to skip it as they really don't think it's important.

Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2019.

Comment

Thanks for that, Rathbaner - it'svery informative.

P.S. Have you considered installing your own micro wind turbine? Since last week, they don't need planning permission and you can get the new SEI grant for them.

New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

Great post Rathbaner.

Comment

There isa memberofthis site who works in the industry, and in the Limerick region. I will pm Rathbaner with his user name so he can pm him, and I would be surprised if he would not be delighted to add to this thread, but it may have disapeared into the recesses by the time he comes back on and am not sure how frequently he logs on here.
                  Unrepentant Langer

Comment

Originally posted by Paulie Walnuts
                    There isa memberofthis site who works in the industry, and in the Limerick region. I will pm Rathbaner with his user name so he can pm him, and I would be surprised if he would not be delighted to add to this thread, but it may have disapeared into the recesses by the time he comes back on and am not sure how frequently he logs on here.

Does he cover West Cork? If so, please do the needful? Thanks.

Comment

Had geothermal fitted into a new house within the last few months. We moved into the house 2 months ago and the heat from it is excellent. The entire house is kept at a comfortable temperature by thermostats in each room. We have underfloor heating downstairs and we put in radiators upstairs. Both appear to work well but the underfloor heating is far superior. There is a steady supply of hot water but it needs a boost from the electricity each night (on the night rate meter).

We used a company called Pure Energy from Bruff. Found them good to deal with.

There are lots of other costs that you may need to consider: a jcb and driver for a day to dig the channels for the pipes. The pump needs to be put into some outhouse and needs to be weather proofed.

So far so good. The cost of running the pump is more than expected but still a lot cheaper than oil. Of course you probably know that there is a €4,300 grant from SEI towards the installations costs. This is paid on completion of the project but you must apply to SEI before you do any work or make any payment to the installers.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Dog

Originally posted by Paulie Walnuts

Does he cover West Cork? If so, please do the needful? Thanks.

Paulie, we are looking into this currently please PM me their details. Thanks.
                        Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

cheers lads interesting view from rathbanner. keep all info comin. and pauile thanks for ur contact jus pm'd him.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Dog

Thanks for that, Rathbaner - it'svery informative.

P.S. Have you considered installing your own micro wind turbine? Since last week, they don't need planning permission and you can get the new SEI grant for them.

Is there any website I can read up a bit more on this?

Also, DIY underfloor heating systems can be bought on Ebay, if people fancy DIY.

Comment

http://www.sei.ie/might be the place to start if you are looking for info.
                              Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Working...
                              X