No announcement yet.

Comic Book Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have only heard good things about transmetropolitan.you who here has read it?

Roger Roger. What's our vector, Victor?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    RIP Anthony Foley - The greatest of great Munster men.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Anyone read anything good in the recent past? Vacation is around the corner and I'd like a few new titles to read through
      I am the million man.

Comment

I'm reading some Jo Nesbo novels at the moment - on holiday from Saturday so stocking up. Good Scandanavian detective thrillers
        "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Anyone read Savage Town yet?

there was a review, more about the author that the Novel, in the times yesterday.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/a...rish-1.3225423

Comment

Originally posted by i_like_cake View Post

Just finished The Sandman Overture..

Incredible stuff, and incredible artwork..

So sad I finished it..

Anyone read Swamp Thing at all? Do the early volumes hold up well these days?

Comics "these days" of course is the reason im looking back having failed to get into a few of the modern superhero series and knowing there are masterpieces already there ive not read

Started Sandman recently (after a false start on tablet i ordered vol 1 - 3 TPB) and enjoying it and picked Overture up today in waterstones and it looked gorgeous so bought it (along with a hard back graphic novel version of American Gods).

Should I finish Sandman before reading Overture?

Constantine mentioned in Volume 1 of sandman which i had already been thinking of picking up and when i started looking into it Swamp Thing seems tied in so was thinking of just starting with Moores Swamp thing and going from there with all three
            Last edited by Hugged Rugger; 15-March-2018, 15:10.
            "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

Don´t touch Overture until you finish The Sandman... There also is another set of Stories in a volume called Sandman Endless nights. Another beautiful book with incredible illustrations. You should try and find that on Hardback. It was written 20 years after the Sandman series ended. The book is divided into seven chapters, each devoted to one of the Endless.
              Overture comes after Endless Nights.

Swamp thing is excellent. I am a big fan, well I was, I haven´t read it in a long time. But with the Sandman I reread it every few years.
              He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

Cheers, I just hadnt heard of overture and there was one there so impulse buy. ill put it to the end of the shelf and hold off so and try and get endless nights. ill order swamp thing vol1 and see how i get on with it. some reviews of the TPB were disappointed they hadnt given better quality paper or retouched the art but that was a while ago so maybe current versions are deluxe format
                "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

In fact Looking through what I have ordered and sandman vol 2 was one of original tpb releases not deluxe reprint... Tempted to get the deluxe glossy version
                  Last edited by Hugged Rugger; 15-March-2018, 22:59.

Comment

I bought the sandman, absolute editions.
                    There are 5 volumes.. After having the comics and graphic novels, and losing half of them, I bought these things. They are way too heavy to lose and anyone that wants to read them can do it upstairs..

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
                    He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

That would be nice but budget doesnt stretch to 80 quid a book unfortunately.

looking at book depository and they've good value on the TPB's in general, better than amazon

Comment

Enjoying swamp thing volume 1 have to say. Thinking of putting sandman on hold and reading a few of the (edit) Moore/gaiman titles chronologically
                        Last edited by Hugged Rugger; 4-April-2018, 14:45.

Comment

So while I'm buying hardcopies of swamp thing, hellblazer and sandman, I'm also trying to get a bit of batman in on the iPad. After repeated efforts to decide on the best reading order since I stopped reading, I've decided to skip a few years and try and pick up in rebirth and focus on main batman ongoing series for now. Maybe some detective comics if necessary and want to see what the Watchmen tie in will be. But With references to some characters dying and other batfamily events I've been flicking through Wikipedia to try and fill in some gaps....

Click image for larger version

Name:	MI_wall.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	2494020

Theres somethin g to be said for serial stories with guest stars without having to read one episode from each of another 5 series to figure out what's happening where even the collected versions are confusing
                          Last edited by Hugged Rugger; 11-April-2018, 00:16.

Comment

So planning ahead and getting a wish list together in book depository. unfortunately it seems the trade paper backs of swamp thing are a bit hard to come by once Alan Moore's Run ends with Book 6. the next few collections dont seem to be available, then theres a large chunk of issues not collected at all before three collections of the end of volume 2 (also unavailable)

still give me a few to read and theres lots of constantine there too before i get back to sandman.

Comment

So, Animal Man. Grant Morrison. There's some daft crazy genius **** going on there. Bought volume one on Amazon (comixology) digital edition for about 7.50 (cheaper than the DC portal). Read it all this evening. Fantastic stuff.
                              Last edited by Hugged Rugger; 26-July-2018, 23:56.

Comment

Have since read volumes 2 and 3 completing the Morrison run. Really enjoyable stuff.

Read crisis on infinite Earth's (well read most and watched a few synopsis videos on YouTube)

Knew story but Just had never read it and wanted to knock off list as it was being referenced occasionally in some of 90s stuff I'm reading. It was an impressive event in comics and a Decent read except for some of the gee whizz dialogue

Has anyone read jack kirbys fourth world / new God's? I'm considering it but That's pushing 1000 pages and while that's not in itself too offputting, the fact it starts in the series 'supermans pal Jimmy Olsen' is a bit off-putting , a comic I never expected to read (and I suspect the gee whizary will be heavy going)

Comment

Working...
                                X