Comic Book Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by B.A. View Post
    Just started that recently myself. It's my first venture into comics. I'm guessing a lot of the characters are spin-offs from other series. There are already mentions of the league of justice and John Constantine.
    At the start, yes, it tries (maybe a bit too hard?) to plug into the larger DC universe (as it existed at that time; its been "rebooted" at least twice, maybe three times since then), but as the series progresses and builds its own mythology this becomes less of an issue.

Comment

Anyone read anything good lately? In a bit of a lull for my comic reading
      I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
        Anyone read anything good lately? In a bit of a lull for my comic reading
        Well, Saga, Vol. 4, was released in December, so now it's just a question of finding an excuse to get the wife and kids out of the house for an afternoon so that I can read the bloody thing.

Other than that, I have my eyes on a few new series (The Wicked + The Divine by Kieron Gillen and Trees by Warren Ellis, in particular*), but I don't really feel I can invest money in new comics when I don't have the time to read them.

I mean, time for reading, of any description, has sort of been in short supply these past couple of years. Since the boys came along. Funny that...

*Also, Matt Fraction (who writes the ongoing and very good Hawkeye series) has a new series called Sex Criminals that looks, ahem, interesting; it's about a women who can stop time. As long as she's having sex.

The wife and kids would definitely need to be out of the house before I dared to read that, even though apparently it's all very tasteful, as well as being very, very funny.
        Last edited by at henry; 5-January-2015, 13:51.

Comment

Two that I've really been enjoying lately;

Jonah Hex

Southern Bastards (which is absolutely astounding and gritty)

I've also been reading a few of the Star Wars newer ones ahead of the movie release. I read Mark Millars' Superior recently too and it was a great quick read. Completely gone off the whole superhero end of comics, the encyclopaedic background knowledge you need for most story arcs has bored the arse off me since I started reading comics.

Nothing has held a candle to the Sandman and Preacher so far though.
          I am the million man.

Comment

Just finished The Sandman Overture..

Incredible stuff, and incredible artwork..

So sad I finished it..
            He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

I'm about to start "The Boys" this evening, after listening to Garth Ennis on a Scroobius Pip podcast.
              I've only read "Preacher" from his other works, so I have high expectations. Anyone read it?
              Rumours are there's a possible tv show coming down the line for that too.

Roger Roger. What's our vector, Victor?
              --------------------------------------------------------------------
              RIP Anthony Foley - The greatest of great Munster men.
              --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

The boys is a great story, you'll enjoy it
                I am the million man.

Comment

Any suggestions where to start with the sandman comics? Looking for something new as a bit marvel and batmanned out at the moment.
                  The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
                  - Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

Comment

Originally posted by Upfront_1979 View Post
                    Any suggestions where to start with the sandman comics? Looking for something new as a bit marvel and batmanned out at the moment.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-11-29 at 20.27.18.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	2486574

Work your way from there Uppy, theres about 75 in the series prior to the Overtures which I havent read.

As an aside, East of West is getting better and better the more I read it.
                    I am the million man.

Comment

Read Punisher Max - excellent
                      Deadpool and Cable - gave up, crap and complex beyond necessary
                      East of West - still going strong
                      Letter 44 - also going strong
                      Huck - not sure about it yet
                      Injection - Half set in Dublin, no idea whats going on 80% of the time
                      Southern Bastards - Still great
                      War Stories - Very hard read.

Anyone else got something new/good to add?
                      I am the million man.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	lucifer_book_one.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	2487501

have you read this stuff yet?
                        it's quite good..

I also just finished Marvel's Civil War, Secret Invasion and Dark Reign......
                        Civil War is excellent... Secret invasion gets a bit tedious, but its all Marvel consuming...
                        Dark reign is quite good..
                        He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

The Lucifer TV show looks to be very Entertaining.

Comment

Anyone read Locke and Key?
                            I am the million man.

Comment

I read the first story in it. I enjoyed it. Not mindblowing, but still quite good. I found it threw some small nice touches that really made it stand out.

Of course I can't remember much of it now, but I'd say it's worth giving a go.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrenda View Post
                                I read the first story in it. I enjoyed it. Not mindblowing, but still quite good. I found it threw some small nice touches that really made it stand out.

Of course I can't remember much of it now, but I'd say it's worth giving a go.
                                Thanks Mrenda, I've about 30 pages of the first volume read and it looks (visually) very polished and tidy.
                                I am the million man.

Comment

Working...
                                X