• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eagles killed in Kerry

<div id="post-18933">
    <h2>
    </h2><h2>Killing Norwegian Eagles in Kerry

The recent TV documentary on the reintroduction of eagles into Irish society reminded me of the most bizarre story I’ve read this year.</font></h2>
    <div>

A few months back the Norwegian Ambassador to Ireland, Öyvind Nordsletten, pleaded with the people of Kerry, politely mind you, to stop f**king killing their eagles.

As pleas go it caught the eye. It was a page stopper for readers as they say in the newspaper industry.

Norway flew the eagles (first class, Air France) to Ireland three years back for breeding purposes because birds of prey had become about as rare in Hibernia as an Anglo Irish Bank executive peering forlornly out of the back window of a Paddy Wagon, often referred to as a mother’s heart in Mexico City – because there’s always room for one more.

Up to 2007 the raptors, refered to as ‘iolaire sùil na grèine’ or eagle of the sunlit eye, were extinct on this island as they were hunted down, poisoned, shot and had their eggs stolen, in, you guessed it, Kerry, last century.

Leaving aside that Nordsletten may as well have been pleading with Hamas to build a synagogue on the Gaza Strip, the question remains. Why would anyone want to kill these magnificent creatures?

Most people accept that the golden eagle, the osprey, unless in Thomond Park, the white-tailed eagle, red kite and goshawk would be a most welcome introduction to any countryside.

The ultimate bird of prey, they swoop down on their quarry from altitude, like Roy Keane over Alfie Haaland, and snaffle him. They’re intelligent creatures also as their first instinct is to attack and pluck the eyes out of anyone involved with Fianna Fáil, Jedward, Boyzone, Westlife or Chris de Burger.

As said, most people are enthralled by iolaire sùil na grèine. However, in Kerry they have a different view of eagles and life in general. In the Kingdom, on spying an eagle, they find themselves overwhelmed with a sudden impulse to murder it.

So why would anyone want to kill the glorious Haliaeetus albicilla you ask. Freud, who had opinions on Paddy and his various eccentricities, might be the man to answer that. However, it is my view the above behaviour is the ultimate outcome of our ambiguous attitude toward first cousins sleeping with first cousins.

You can get away with this lark for a few generations but somewhere down the line a batch will emerge with that strange light in their eyes.

Moreover, this batch will want to settle in Kerry where they will be plagued with voices in their heads, and these voices, not unlike the voices Jack Nicholson was hearing in The Shining, will compel them to kill eagles – for no other reason than they exist – and to elect Jackie Healy-Rae &amp; sons.

We saw an example of this slacked-jawed, craven ignorance in 2007 when the birds arrived in Ireland from Norway. Our feathered friends from the Land of the Midnight Sun were greeted with a lot of media interest on their return to our shores from their ten-decade exile.

However, around 100 farmers were protesting at their arrival at Kerry airport. I can understand protests at war criminals or Louis Walsh arriving in the country, but I ask you; what breed of arsehole would converge at an airport to protest at the arrival of eagle chicks?

Who organised the protest? How did they convince the farmers to march?. Were they handing out “Down with eagle chicks – they’re quare looking hawks” car stickers in Killarney? Honk your horn if you hate eagles – and that sort of thing.

Over the last three years at least 13 of the 55 eagles reintroduced into Ireland have been poisoned in the Kingdom. It is believed that one bird was shot in Northern Ireland – probably by a retired UDA or Provo type pining for the good old days when a man could lend a purpose to his life murdering Catholics and Protestants.

Meantime, south of the border down Kerry way, the farmers – torm

Already a thread here. Toby.
    If your religion is worth killing for, please start with yourself.

Comment

[QUOTE=Tobyglen]<div id="post-18933">
      <h2>Killing Norwegian Eagles in Kerry

The recent TV documentary on the reintroduction of eagles into Irish society reminded me of the most bizarre story I’ve read this year.</font></h2>
      <div>

A few months back the Norwegian Ambassador to Ireland, Öyvind Nordsletten, pleaded with the people of Kerry, politely mind you, to stop f**king killing their eagles.

As pleas go it caught the eye. It was a page stopper for readers as they say in the newspaper industry.

Norway flew the eagles (first class, Air France) to Ireland three years back for breeding purposes because birds of prey had become about as rare in Hibernia as an Anglo Irish Bank executive peering forlornly out of the back window of a Paddy Wagon, often referred to as a mother’s heart in Mexico City – because there’s always room for one more.

Up to 2007 the raptors, refered to as ‘iolaire sùil na grèine’ or eagle of the sunlit eye, were extinct on this island as they were hunted down, poisoned, shot and had their eggs stolen, in, you guessed it, Kerry, last century.

Leaving aside that Nordsletten may as well have been pleading with Hamas to build a synagogue on the Gaza Strip, the question remains. Why would anyone want to kill these magnificent creatures?

Most people accept that the golden eagle, the osprey, unless in Thomond Park, the white-tailed eagle, red kite and goshawk would be a most welcome introduction to any countryside.

The ultimate bird of prey, they swoop down on their quarry from altitude, like Roy Keane over Alfie Haaland, and snaffle him. They’re intelligent creatures also as their first instinct is to attack and pluck the eyes out of anyone involved with Fianna Fáil, Jedward, Boyzone, Westlife or Chris de Burger.

As said, most people are enthralled by iolaire sùil na grèine. However, in Kerry they have a different view of eagles and life in general. In the Kingdom, on spying an eagle, they find themselves overwhelmed with a sudden impulse to murder it.

So why would anyone want to kill the glorious Haliaeetus albicilla you ask. Freud, who had opinions on Paddy and his various eccentricities, might be the man to answer that. However, it is my view the above behaviour is the ultimate outcome of our ambiguous attitude toward first cousins sleeping with first cousins.

You can get away with this lark for a few generations but somewhere down the line a batch will emerge with that strange light in their eyes.

Moreover, this batch will want to settle in Kerry where they will be plagued with voices in their heads, and these voices, not unlike the voices Jack Nicholson was hearing in The Shining, will compel them to kill eagles – for no other reason than they exist – and to elect Jackie Healy-Rae &amp; sons.

We saw an example of this slacked-jawed, craven ignorance in 2007 when the birds arrived in Ireland from Norway. Our feathered friends from the Land of the Midnight Sun were greeted with a lot of media interest on their return to our shores from their ten-decade exile.

However, around 100 farmers were protesting at their arrival at Kerry airport. I can understand protests at war criminals or Louis Walsh arriving in the country, but I ask you; what breed of arsehole would converge at an airport to protest at the arrival of eagle chicks?

Who organised the protest? How did they convince the farmers to march?. Were they handing out “Down with eagle chicks – they’re quare looking hawks” car stickers in Killarney? Honk your horn if you hate eagles – and that sort of thing.

Over the last three years at least 13 of the 55 eagles reintroduced into Ireland have been poisoned in the Kingdom. It is believed that one bird was shot in Northern Ireland – probably by a retired UDA or Provo type pining for the good old days when a man could lend a purpose to his life murdering Catholics and Protestants.

Meantime, south of the border down Kerry way, the farmers – torment
      Gwan Joe!!

Comment

These gigantic raptors need to kill and eat a whole sheep every day.
        I don't blame the impoverished sheep farmers for killing the rapacious flying monsters.
        Our dog disappeared 2 months ago and we found dog bones in a nest.
        Though we live in Douglas and Point is still the main suspect.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsMcGahan
          I don't blame the impoverished sheep farmers for killing the rapacious flying monsters.
          Be the hokey, is Oyvind aware of this turn of events?
          Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by ustix
            You never wondered why there's no sheep in Norway?

And other rogue Scandinavian countries?

Comment

Never did I wonder as to the whereabouts of the indigenous sheep of Norway. I met few rogues in my days and nights wandering north of the the northern shore of Ireland.
              Many is the hungry wolf did I encounter.
              My regards to Mr McGahan.

Gwan Joe!!

Comment

These gigantic raptors need to kill
                and eat a whole sheep every day.I don't blame the
                impoverished sheep farmers for killing the rapacious flying
                monsters.Our dog disappeared 2 months ago and we found
                dog bones in a nest.
                Be the hokey, is Oyvind aware of this turn of
                events?
                You never wondered why there's no
                sheep in Norway?And other rogue Scandinavian countries?
                People (well, sheep, but you know what I mean)-trafficking
                to the sex trade in Cardiff, Swansea, Neath, Invercargill,
                Dunedin, Christchurch and Auckland.
                Ceterum censeo INM irrumandum esse.

Comment

Perhaps it's more down to their larger carnivores. The main culprit is the Lynx, then the brown bear, then the wolf and later on down the line the golden eagle.
                  I've seen more lambs lost to open drains and than birds of prey.

Comment

What class of an animal was that fella there under your name

The finest, I'm only posting from this from a blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Tobyglen

What class of an animal was that fella there under your name

The finest, I'm only posting from this from a blog.
                      I see. A fine thread title you chose.
                      Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by Boo-boo

Perhaps it's more down to their larger carnivores. The main culprit is the Lynx, then the brown bear, then the wolf and later on down the line the golden eagle.
                        Birds of prey are careful to avoid jamming themselves into open drains.
                        Lambs never see the danger.

Comment

Originally posted by Boo-boo

Birds of prey are careful to avoid jamming themselves into open drains.
                          Lambs never see the danger.
                          Isn't there a grant from the EU when a lamb get's stuck down a drain and if not. Why not? theres a grant for everything else.
                          To the lazy, everything is impossible. To the brave, nothing is impossible.

Comment

I don't know much about birds of prey but I'll say this about
                            Kerry people being animals: There is an area in Tralee - A
                            Magic Triangle which encompasses The Abbey Inn, Sean Ó'Gs
                            Drinking Consultants, and New Yorker that has driven many a
                            Kerry man to insanity

Comment

Originally posted by scourge
                              I don't know much about birds of prey but I'll say this about

Kerry people being animals: There is an area in Tralee - A

Magic Triangle which encompasses The Abbey Inn, Sean Ó'Gs

Drinking Consultants, and New Yorker that has driven many a

Kerry man to insanity
                              and a short drive it is for your average Kerryman.

Comment

Working...
                              X