Au Pairs - help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Au Pairs - help

Afternoon guys, just wondering if anyone has any experience with Au Pairs?
    It's becoming an option for us as Mrs. Weetabix is due to go back to work in the New Year and we're just looking in to all the avenues of the rather depressing world of childcare.

Needless to say there are tonnes of people with opinions on child minders out there, but very little help if you are thinking about an au pair.

Anyone know 1st of all where to even start to look? I know Google will gimme thousands of suggestions, but has anyone got any experience of any good agencies for example? Any help at all will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Rule 1. Don't let Mrs. Weetabix pick the au pair!
    Romani ite Domun

Comment

Be very careful with Non EU au pairs. Legal nightmare especially if something goes wrong. There's a guy in Aughrim who has a reputable company the name of Sean Kavanagh www.skdublinaupairs.ie

Comment

Get a really hot chick .... Scandanavians often look ther part.
        "Just to be clear, Poite is an idiot" The Plastic Paddy 11-04-2012

Comment

Originally posted by Weetabix

Anyone know 1st of all where to even start to look? I know Google will gimme thousands of suggestions....

Don't start there - or at least don't get caught.... "It's all right love - just doing some research on Au Pairs".

Proper agency at least gives you some come back. I would avoid getting too young a lady - danger of the whole home sick thing. For your first au pair would suggest getting someone who has done it before and preferably in Ireland - at least she will know what the story is.

Would also suggest being pretty clear up front about the T&C's - when is she "on duty" and when "off". What she can and can't do etc. Not that you want to be too fussy - it just works best if both sides know the rules. You can always agree exceptiosn etc.

Also suggest she has her own space - you don't want her sitting down watching the Late Late with you becasue she has nowhere to go on her evening off and you were planning to chill out on the sofa.

Comment

Hi , We have had aupairs now for two years and it has worked out very well for us.
            Try and get someone in their early twenties 18 or 19 is a bit young.

There is a website called au pair world which is where we found ours . It cuts out the agency fees and means you can have an online chat or a phone conversation with prospective au pair before you choose. An agency will just send you who ever they hava available and are not necessarily looking to meet your needs.

You need to be caer about what you expect them to do how much child care how much cleaning or light house work etc.

You should really treat them as a member of the family rather than as staff. Just think how you would like your daughter to be treated in similar circumstances.

The down side is of course that there is someone else living in your house with you . I remeber once coming in knacckerd from work and all i wanted was a beer and a movie but the au pair needed to talk. An hours converstaion in english with someone who is learning english is tough work ! You get used to it though.

The first month or two is hard. The girl will be lonely as it takes time for them to make friends and you can expect ameltdown around week six.

Finacially it works well and the bit of cleaning certainly makes for a cleaner house and a happier Marriage.
            I would definitely recommend it.

When I enter the Millennium Stadium next Saturday I will be wearing my red jersey. The colour of blood, of pride, of raw meat, of bitter tears. The colour of victory and defeat, of loyalty, of love, of fear, of life and death. The colour of Munster.

Comment

Theat website is
              <cite>www.aupair-world.net</cite></span>

When I enter the Millennium Stadium next Saturday I will be wearing my red jersey. The colour of blood, of pride, of raw meat, of bitter tears. The colour of victory and defeat, of loyalty, of love, of fear, of life and death. The colour of Munster.

Comment

Originally posted by manofmunster
                Get a really hot chick ....
                Scandanavians often look ther part.
                in a french maids outfit
                The Source for this post is The Internet

Comment

Currently looking to go down this route for the first time, any tips or hints that would help? We've a large house so room isnt a problem and while we are in the country at the moment we have a spare car so moving around isnt an issue either. We're hoping that this will make life a little less stressful for a few months till the summer. We've had a Spanish student with us for 3 months before Christmas so we're familiar with having another person in the house.
                  "Everything good about Ireland can be found in County Cork"....Lonely Planet Guide 2012

Comment

Get a photo first
                    The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
                    - Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

Comment

Big house, spare car I'll be your au pair
                      Ta an draoicht ar ais aris

Comment

Juxtapose car and spare and thats a nice lyric
                        The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
                        - Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpasimpson View Post
                          Currently looking to go down this route for the first time, any tips or hints that would help? We've a large house so room isnt a problem and while we are in the country at the moment we have a spare car so moving around isnt an issue either. We're hoping that this will make life a little less stressful for a few months till the summer. We've had a Spanish student with us for 3 months before Christmas so we're familiar with having another person in the house.
                          We have been very lucky over the last few years. My wife picks them and its pure mental. The first one was a former Czeck tennis player. Unreal looking girl absolute stunner . At the time she used to get into Krystal for nada. Anyway the mother inlaw didnt take to her and she was a tad selfish with her time.
                          Not having learned her lesson the next one was german and 6''3 in height. More leg than a basket of chicken. A great girl, sound smart great english and was great for our young fella. She spent a year and was our best one so far. She did modelling, drinking , gym, loved rugby and was great craic.

3rd was a great girl 23 from Mexico. Very good with the young lad and strong enough to get him to work. His got mild cerebral palsy so he does exercises all the time. As a 23 year old she went out a good bit, did her travelling around Europe which was a pain until we improved the communication. She travelled when it suited us. She was paid 180 a week. mobile and 30 euro gym paid for. She had her flights to and from paid and a few short haul. She did a good bit of travelling with us also. She dirtied her bib a bit by being a bit selfish with her time and the travelling requests at the end but overall was a great success.
                          Current Nanny and the last one is also Mexican. (The one mistake we made was getting the two mexicans talking before she came) The current one is just turned 19 but sometimes trys to take things for granted. She has tried to push trough travel weekend but gladly the wife could well handle it. She's also been to the states Boston and New York with us and she wasnt a week back and she wanted more time off. She's supposed to be babysitting one night at the weekend and once during the week. I'd say she averages babysitting only max once a week.
                          The 19 year old is a bit immature. I wont miss her when she goes as she only thinks of herself lately. She doesnt know it but she is finishing soon. The gym is great as it gets them out of the house and also shortens the shower que.

Mexicans have a similar outlook as the Irish. The german girl was great and is still a friend of the family as is the first Mexican.
                          If you doubt that they dont have your child's safety and welfare at heart get them out.
                          My wife has a standard contract that I can send you.
                          We also pay for English language lessons which does help.
                          I'll get you a name of the website that my wifes uses later.
                          When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry

Comment

I've never really though of it as an option, and am lucky (or is that unlucky?) enough to have the parents in law 10 mins away: both retired and in their early 60s.

My question though for those of you who have done it: do you not find it a bit intrusive?

I can't imagine you'd be walking around in your jocks scratching yer nuts when Heidi is around.
                            Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

We've had a site recommended to us, www.aupair-world.net, which seems to be very popular, we're Skyping 2 girls tonight. I've had to leave herself at it as it was trouble waiting to happen! I never thought I'd say it but by last night i had to say that I'd had enough of looking at 21 year old girls!!!

Anyway we're well up for it and hope to us the next 3 months as a trial and if it works out then we might go long term in September. I'm changing car at the moment so we might leave my old one here for her to drive which would be handy. As it turns out there seems to be a good few au pairs around the locality and everybody we speak to have nothing but good things to say so fingers crossed.
                              "Everything good about Ireland can be found in County Cork"....Lonely Planet Guide 2012

Comment

Working...
                              X