Solid fuel stove

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solid fuel stove

I had for years an inefficient open gas fire but due to a leak somewhere under the house (which cost rather a lot to fix) the gas main had to be relaid all the way around the lhs of the property.

The gas fire has not been connected to the new mains supply as it's on the other side of the house completely and would cost another pile of cash to get that redone.

As a result I reckon for quite a bit less than the cost of reconnecting a poor fire I can take the gas fire out completely and get a multi fuel stove fitted. Probably a fire insert version.

Something like this

+

5 kw output
    Efficency - reduced overall running/heating costs
    Chimney sealed - no downdrafts
    Better BER and environmentally superior
    Simple to install

-

Fuelling and cleaning out ashes
    Chimney cleaning once a year

Are there any other concerns I should have? All views welcome.

Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
    Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

I'm in exactly the same position as you MR, was going to post a thread here too but you beat me to it. I'll be keeping a close eye to this thread.
    "Everything good about Ireland can be found in County Cork"....Lonely Planet Guide 2012

Comment

I've researched the idea quite a bit, but was hoping for a few other peoples views and input Grandpa.

There's a huge amount of conflicting info. out there.

Comment

you'll need the chimney lined before fitting the stove - unless you have already had this done?

In terms of heating - they're savage to throw out heat - very efficient. I don't know how the relative gas fire/stove installation costs work but am pretty sure that - aside from the fuel & chimney cleaning - there are no associated extra costs.
        "Just to be clear, Poite is an idiot" The Plastic Paddy 11-04-2012

Comment

Also intereest....building a house at the moment.
          Using Oil and Solid Fuel Stove to heat my rads and Solars for hot water.

Comment

That's one of the contentious ones MOM. "What Stove?" suggest up to 5kw output doesn't need the chimney lined.

My chimney is set up for an open fire, with a good flue, so is ready to go. I don't want to break out the existing fireback if possible.

Comment

They are brilliant - I have a huge open plan area and once the stove is on the place is really warm. Couldn't praise them highly enough - buy a decent one and make sure it's multi fuel. Cleaning is so easy, no dust etc.

Comment

I have a couple of these, got them installed last Nov/Dec. AFAIK there are some types which are only suitable for timber, and some which will take coal etc, so be sure about what you want to burn. I only use timber anyway - burns very efficiently and leaves very little in the way of soot/ash etc. Also means the chimney will need much less cleaning. Plus if you have the space you can grow your own willow for free fuel!

You'll find that they're rated for heat output according to the size of your room. You might want to go for the next Kw rating up from the size of room you want to heat - mine does the room fine, but doesn't really help in the hallway, which I thought it might. My house does have high ceilings (9 ft in the main living room, and a near double height sunroom) so this obviously is more of a factor for me - however we allowed for the total volume of space when calculating which output we'd need, and while it's still sufficient it's not much more than that.

Depending on the type of central heating system you have, you can get ones that have a back boiler - but if your system is pressurised, this can't be done cost-effectively as you'd need a second hot water tank and all the associated plumbing. However if it's an older (non-pressurised) system, this would very much worth investigating, as you'd be able to reduce your hot water/home heating bills simultaneously.

In the living room, I have the burner set out in front of the chimney breast rather than in the "fireplace", which means that the heat gets into the room more effectively. Here in the north though, there are regulations that the hearth of a newly installed stove like this must extend 30 cm from the front, so you may not be able to do this if the room isn't big enough. My living room is about 19'x16', so we were able to put in the bigger hearth there, but not in the sunroom which is about 15'x12'.

We opted for burners which have airflow control both at the top and at the bottom of the door. This means you can set the vents fully open to get the fire lit quickly, then gradually close them till it's smouldering nicely, giving you more constant heat and making your fuel last longer. Leaving the top one slightly open makes the air flow over the glass of the door, keeping it cleaner - no need to buy cleaning products, all you need is a damp cloth, dipped in the previous night's ashes, and rub away at the glass. Ours only gets cleaned every couple of weeks and it's just a 5 minute job, plus we don't have to clear out the ashes more than every three nights or so.
                Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by Bitter As A Lemon

Put in Solar panels last January or so. Feckingbrilliant didn't need anything else but them to heat the water from about midApril until around now.

Also have a refurbished Stanley which is attached to the rads. Heats the house fine.
                  Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Mr Chips, the bruner you have in the sun room, did you have to install some sort of flue system or did you have a chimney in your sun room already?

Comment

Quality responses folks. Many thanks [img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img]

Chippy, in my case the stove idea is only to supplement the existing central heating during the colder months, and ideally to keep costs down too. It'll be "stand alone". I've read about overnight burning with the fire kept way down by using the damper, and resulting in a warm downstairs all night - sounds great.

I'm au fait with "airwash" and "clean burning" too. Clever technology indeed. Top and bottom air control looks essential.

I found a handy ready reckoner online, and 5kw looks like it'll be plenty, and won't stress the chimney either.

I'll go multi fuel ok, but wood looks best as a preferred fuel.

Comment

Originally posted by mr chips
                        I have a couple of these, got them installed last Nov/Dec. AFAIK there are some types which are only suitable for timber, and some which will take coal etc, so be sure about what you want to burn. I only use timber anyway - burns very efficiently and leaves very little in the way of soot/ash etc. Also means the chimney will need much less cleaning. Plus if you have the space you can grow your own willow for free fuel!</span>
                        easy now..! [img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img]

He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

Originally posted by McCloud

Put in Solar panels last January or so. Feckingbrilliant didn't need anything else but them to heat the water from about midApril until around now.

Also have a refurbished Stanley which is attached to the rads. Heats the house fine.
                          Have two firebird panels being installed as I type, heartening to hear they are worth it, some people don't see the point in them.

Comment

Originally posted by McCloud

Sounds good McTash.

Lots of heat and hot water, affordable, and pretty green too [img]smileys/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

A 5 kw output seems very small to me. I had a 12 kw
                              stove installed a few tears ago in the living room (cost
                              €1,100 in total) and am delighted with it.

All of Mr Chips comments are valid but I'd like to add your
                              choice of fuel is also important. As pointed out, timber
                              leaves minimal amounts of ash but is bulky and provides
                              less heat than coal or peat.

I burn briquettes and find that the burn rate is much slower
                              than coal. When I light a fire at night the stove will still be
                              pumping out heat at noon the following day.

The one major disadvantage is the fine dust emitted and
                              the larger volumes of ask produced.
                              If your religion is worth killing for, please start with yourself.

Comment

Working...
                              X