Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

France for Holidays

Folks,

The West Coast of France has popped onto the list as possible destinationsfor de summer holidays. Would be taking the car and ideally would not want to drive more than a day...

Anyone any recommendations for good campsites or self catering aparts or gites along the west coast

web links would be helpfl if ye have them

Many thanks
    \'For he that hath no stomach for this fight, let him depart\'.
    Henry V - Battle of Agincourt 1415

Fly drive appears to be better value.

Comment

I would strongly recommend a visit to La Rochelle and the island of Ille de rey.Absolutley beautiful place.We were there in April with nothing booked and had no problems getting accomodation.A lot of the hotels are 2* but very clean.You can get large family rooms for 60/80 euro a night.hotelscomparison.com is a good site for cheap hotels.

I distrust Camels and anybody else that go for 7 days without a drink

Comment

The in-laws go back here, year after year.

http://www.levieuxport.com/

Comment

Originally posted by thisyear?

Folks,

The West Coast of France has popped onto the list as possible destinationsfor de summer holidays. Would be taking the car and ideally would not want to drive more than a day...

Anyone any recommendations for good campsites or self catering aparts or gites along the west coast

web links would be helpfl if ye have them

Many thanks

Ferries are very expensive during the summer. We flew to Nantes last year and hired a a C4 for 3 weeks. We saved about €1,000 compared to going by ferry.

I have stayed in La Grande Metairie in Carnac on several occassions and it is a top site in a beautiful area. I have also stayed a few times in the Vendee (roughly the coast between Nantes and Bordeaux) and again a beautiful area.The area around Biarritz is also good so basically any place along the French Atlantic Coast.

Have a look at www.campinglife.co.uk

or www.keycamp.ie

If you want to book directly with a campsite yourself have a look at

http://www.les-castels.com/

You will find that some of the top sites have no availability at this stage as many people like myself book a year in advance.

Beware that prices vary significantly between companies (I am talking about some holidays being double the price for basically the same holiday) so it is well worth your while doing some research.

I have booked with www.frenchlife.co.uk for the last seven years but now make my own travel arrangements while still booking accomodation through them. They are part of the same group as www.campinglife.co.ukThe latter website is more up to date.

Comment

thisyear?

If you are UK based I would use French Life or Camping Life and take an inclusive Ferry Package with them. Poole Cherbourg is a nice crossing but the ferry you take is really dependent on where you are based.

Comment

If you were to take Britanny Ferries into Roscoff and drive down you could reach Bordeaux by late afternoon, allowing for a few pitstops along the way.There are some lovely sites all down the coast. La GrandMetairieis a lovely site, two or three hours from Roscoff. A few hours further down in the Vendeé is St Jean De Mont which has a few sites that are very good. There are dozens of sites between thereLes Sables D'Olonne, all reachable, comfortably, in less than a day. Further down two hours or so north of Bordeaux is Royan which has a rake of sites as well.

A lot will depend on the ages of your children. La Grand Metairie was great for smallies. Ours were 3 and 6 when we went there but that was 12 years ago.

Le Bois Masson in St Jean de Monts is great for teenagers but it was bought by one of the Tour Operators (Haven, I think) and from some reports has disimproved in the last few years.

The further south you go, the hotter and the more dependable the weather.

Look up the various brochures, Keycamp, Campotel, Canvas, Haven etc and contact the Sites directly. Availability could be an issue at this time of the year.

Three years ago we booked ferry and site separately and got three weeks for what it had cost for two weeks the previous year going through one of the tour operators.

Drop me a pm if you need any details.

Comment

We have booked the vendee region cork - roscof ferry+ mobile home for two weeks and you really need to ring around. The was a huge difference between going on the 11th of august (4100 euro) vs the 18th (2300).

My computer thinks I'm gay
                What's the difference anyway
                When all the people do all day
                Is stare into a phone

Comment

TY, we camped on Ile d'Oléron a couple of years ago. It is a lovely island, very friendly peopleand frequented far more by French than foreigners (cf. Ile de Rey). The site we stayed on was lovely, but as we were one of only 2 non French families on the site, the kids found it difficult and we ended up moving to Dordogne earlier than planned. We stayed on the North-eastern side of the island, while there are a multitude of good campsites on the south-west side, most of which are on or close to the fabulous long beaches. The NE side is more sheltered while the SW side gets plenty of surf. Only real negative about the island was that the prices were higher for everythingcompared to the mainland by about 20%.

One word of advice on coastal campsites in France. Beware when they say only 2 minutes from the beach. That usually means 5 minutes in the car ! Especially in some parts of Vendée.

Comment

Haven and the rest of them rip off Irish people. If you were to book the campsite through them from an English address it would be significantly cheaper. It is possible, however,to book online on http://www.levieuxport.com/which would be considerably cheaper as you cut out the middleman.

Comment

TY - If you can, get hold of the Alan Rogers guide bookto camping in France it is excellent. It details all the better campsites and gives very accurate descriptions of them, warts and all. We have used it a few timess. Gives all the contact details for the sites allowing you to book directly. We saved a packet by doing this on sites where all the big package companies also had set ups.

Comment

Excellent folks

Thanks a mill for the tip offs

Will have a ferret through them when I get a minute

p.s I am based in UK and we have no childers - that I know about!
                        \'For he that hath no stomach for this fight, let him depart\'.
                        Henry V - Battle of Agincourt 1415

Comment

We stayed in St. Jean de Mont in July last year & booked through www.wakeupinfrance.co.uk You should also check out www.holiday-rentals.co.ukWe used http://www.holidayautos.co.uk/for car hire with no problems.
                          Vincit Qui Patitur

Comment

Working...
                          X