Broadband advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broadband advice

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows much about broadband dongles in Ireland? Im going home for 3 weeks and need to have reliable wifi, can I just buy a dongle and pay as you go? Are they reliable? Will it run out quickly if Im on zoom calls? Do I need 4g network for it to work? Thank you
    \"Only Pienaar, Botha and Ferris would be in contention for a place on our first 15. That\'s a fact.\" - Tickettout\'s take on Ulster April 2011.

Do you mean a 4g dongle?
    Perhaps you could just set your phone up as a Wi-Fi hot-spot. Providing your phone is up to it and has good 4g signal capture. If accessing 4g in Ireland via your current sim will be expensive just buy a 4g data sim card from a telecom operator once in Ireland.
    I don't know about payg but I think I paid 20€ for a 60gb data sim from 3 last year.
    Put the sim in your phone, switch on it's Wi-Fi hot-spot option. Connect your pc to your phone's wifi.
    Was in deepest Connemara with a 3g signal but often less and was able to stream Netflix to my pc.
    Last edited by lilleexile; 27-July-2020, 10:40.

Comment

You can certainly buy a dongle, the question is how much data will you use. I've seen a few suggestions that Zoom uses a good chunk of data - up to 1gb per hour.
      There are loads of SIM only data deals, but check the T&Cs as some allow you to tether, and some don't.

Unless you are in a really isolated place, you should be able to get at least 3.5G, which is fine for video. You'll get 4G in pretty much all urban areas.
      You can check a coverage map here: https://coveragemap.comreg.ie/map
      Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post
        You can certainly buy a dongle, the question is how much data will you use. I've seen a few suggestions that Zoom uses a good chunk of data - up to 1gb per hour.
        There are loads of SIM only data deals, but check the T&Cs as some allow you to tether, and some don't.

Unless you are in a really isolated place, you should be able to get at least 3.5G, which is fine for video. You'll get 4G in pretty much all urban areas.
        You can check a coverage map here: https://coveragemap.comreg.ie/map
        optimistic Fitzy and completely dependant on carrier. I'm in an area that gets barely 3g on VFone and 3, and barely a signal with Eir yet shows up as good coverage. also the conection may show as 3g but speed is pitiful. Most urban areas ok but onec outside of those its very hit and miss
        The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
        - Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

Comment

Working...
        X