The most inept coalition yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Major TNT View Post

Barry Cowen didnt think much of the Gardai or the Laws when he had a feed of drink, drove, did a u turn when he saw a check point, and said the guards were lying about what transpired. All on a provisional license.

Dont even get me started on the Moriarty tribunal which found an FG Minister corruptly took bribes to divert the 3rd mobile phone license to an FG donor...
    The concern is that with Sinn Fein this a feature not a bug like it is for FF or FG
    They have to address it.
    You seem to think they have a lot to offer the Irish political scene. That's arguable. What's not arguable is that there is a need for a legit opposition. For Sinn Fein to fill that need they need to demonstrate that the IRA, or any non accountable body, are not calling the shots
    simply pointing out the faults of others is not enough

Comment

Originally posted by mr chips View Post
      That's ok, but there is a thread about Sinn Féin where you can discuss those concerns without diverting from the overall thread topic. This thread is about the new coalition government, so keep it relevant to that in here please.
      If the thread is about the coalition governments ability, then surely it is pertinent to discuss the opposition in same thread given they are claiming to be the alternative to same. Perhaps you are allowing your personal political views to interfere with your role as a moderator.

Comment

That's a nonsense reply. Firstly, you're not discussing the opposition, you're just repeating the same "yeah, but Sinn Féin are bad" no matter the topic at hand. It's vacuous, boring, and contributes nothing. If you're going to participate in political discussions, at least bring something of substance to it. Secondly, while my politics lean to the left I've made my views on SF and people like Adams in particular pretty clear many times on this forum. For what it's worth, my party of choice is the Greens and if I lived in the south I'd still be more likely to vote for them than any other party, in spite of the likes of Eamon Ryan. Perhaps you are allowing your far-right views to cloud your thinking?
        Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Far-right? That’s incredibly insulting. Are you calling me a racist or a fascist or both? I’d report the post but since your a biased mod probably no point.

Comment

Ah, so misrepresenting someone's political views isn't a reasonable thing to do after all? Glad you cleared that up. I don't actually think you're far right, but I've as much reason for calling you that as you have for calling me a Sinn Féin supporter. Or biased, for that matter.
            Tis but a scratch.

Comment

The fight back begins maybe it's beginning to remind me of a certain Gerry Collins moment. Don't burst the party!!
              Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Originally posted by Viigand View Post
                My concern is SF is an organization that doesn’t believe in the legitimacy of the Irish state, and are part of a paramilitary organisation that views the Courts, the Gardai and the Irish Army enemies rather than essential organs of the Irish Republic.
                Apparently you are now seeing that a large number of voters don't agree with you. This is by the way without SF even having to shout from the sidelines. So who is at fault the government or the opposition for this result?

Comment

Originally posted by McCloud View Post

Apparently you are now seeing that a large number of voters don't agree with you. This is by the way without SF even having to shout from the sidelines. So who is at fault the government or the opposition for this result?
                  30% of Irish voters would vote SF.

I'd say at least 50% of them don't remember the atrocities, probly more
                  Only fools and drunks argue over everything. If you don’t have a hangover the next day you’re not the drunk...

Comment

Originally posted by McCloud View Post

SF is the most politically astute movement in the last few decades of Irish politics- the base they have built north and south makes the other parties look flabby and out dated. I really had hoped that Varadkar would usher in a new age in Irish politics, surfing the wave of increasing secularism and self-confident independence- and that it would force a new FF into life- between them making SF an irrelevance for a generation. Instead, this current modge is simply making SF more electable.

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

SF is the most politically astute movement in the last few decades of Irish politics- the base they have built north and south makes the other parties look flabby and out dated. I really had hoped that Varadkar would usher in a new age in Irish politics, surfing the wave of increasing secularism and self-confident independence- and that it would force a new FF into life- between them making SF an irrelevance for a generation. Instead, this current modge is simply making SF more electable.
                      I agree with you and as OSS said above there are a lot of voters in the south who have no memory of the terrorism that occured over years in NI and will so vote according to what they hear and see today.

Comment

The anti SF arguments here are irrelevant virtue signaling, the voting patterns prove it and the opinion polls back it up.

Here's how to ensure SF are kept out of government and it's really simple:

1. Stop prioritising the profitability of banks, vulture funds and landlords over young working people.
                        2. Build more homes NOW
                        3. Stop undermining the health service

That's it!

Fianna Fail could adopt those policies this morning and deliver on them inside 2.5 years. But they won't. They supported FG for the past 10 years and now they're in coalition with them on an agreed platform that will deliver nothing but the same old same old, else why would FG be in there?

As a result, FF will be destroyed and replaced by Sinn Fein at the next election.

There's no mystery about this and all the hand wringing in the world will not change it.
                        Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by rathbaner View Post
                          The anti SF arguments here are irrelevant virtue signaling, the voting patterns prove it and the opinion polls back it up.

Here's how to ensure SF are kept out of government and it's really simple:

1. Stop prioritising the profitability of banks, vulture funds and landlords over young working people.
                          2. Build more homes NOW
                          3. Stop undermining the health service

That's it!

Fianna Fail could adopt those policies this morning and deliver on them inside 2.5 years. But they won't. They supported FG for the past 10 years and now they're in coalition with them on an agreed platform that will deliver nothing but the same old same old, else why would FG be in there?

As a result, FF will be destroyed and replaced by Sinn Fein at the next election.

There's no mystery about this and all the hand wringing in the world will not change it.
                          what is virtue signalling?
                          Only fools and drunks argue over everything. If you don’t have a hangover the next day you’re not the drunk...

Comment

Originally posted by Oldschoolsocks View Post

what is virtue signalling?
                            Virtue signalling is a pejorative neologism for the conspicuous expression of moral values.

Craw thumping, in layman's terms.
                            Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by rathbaner View Post

Virtue signalling is a pejorative neologism for the conspicuous expression of moral values.

Craw thumping, in layman's terms.
                              Pretty much 99% of what is said in this forum is virtue signalling
                              if you are whining about scrum resets but not out there coaching or campaigning for rule changes you are virtue signaling

Comment

The 'build more houses NOW' thing is simplistic rubbish. As the CIF said earlier this year, quite simply there aren't enough construction workers in the country. There are literally thousands units through the planning process waiting to be built.

Then you have members of opposition parties (including SF TDs) objecting to large housing developments on their own doorsteps.

Despite being very slow ramping up there were 21k homes built last year and it would have been 24k this year if Covid hadn't struck. SF would not have been able to do this any faster as, despite their rhetoric, as it's not physically possible to do it.
                                Last edited by Wallyman; 4-August-2020, 13:16.

Comment

Working...
                                X