Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The most inept coalition yet?

Rejected regina to the seanad for FG.
    Fianna failure's Jim O'Callaghan and others telling meehole to shove his junior ministry. Looks like meehole is under pressure from a lot of disgruntled heavyweights already as the lame duck government give 2 fingers to the west..

https://www.thejournal.ie/cabinet-go...37999-Jul2020/

"Micheál Martin’s government has faced significant anger from some western constituencies, made worse by the decision to appoint Fianna Fáil deputy leader Dara Calleary as Chief Whip – widely seen as a snub given the Mayo deputy’s seniority.

No TDs from west of the River Shannon have been appointed to lead a department."

Willie o'dea the latest fianna fail heavyweight to stick the boot into meehole. Didnt take long for things to get nasty..

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/poli...-dea-1.4294512

Fianna Fáil Limerick City TD Willie O’Dea is the latest party figure to attack Taoiseach Micheál Martin over his junior ministerial appointments.

Mr O’Dea, the former minister for defence, said he is “bitterly disappointed for the people of Limerick that the third city of the Republic and economic driver of the mid-west has been completely overlooked for either senior or junior ministerial appointments.

“I have been inundated with messages from people who feel let down and grossly insulted. “There are three government TDs out of four in Limerick City, yet Micheál Martin has felt it appropriate to insult all the people of Limerick City with this decision.

Comment

Still, it’s better than having the IRA army council run the country.

Comment

You're getting as bad as the Major.
        Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Ah here. No need for that :)
          Have a read of this.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/s...94619?mode=amp

Comment

Meh - it's a fairly heavily slanted opinion piece, strong on how-dare-they outrage and emotive language and lacking in any serious analysis. Tbh the way it gives the last government a free pass over housing and Maria Bailey (the only failure apparently being how they allowed SF to dominate the media narrative concerning these issues, rather than the issues themselve) actually plays right into the hands of a Sinn Féin narrative about the largest party being excluded from power, people not getting the change they voted for, the new coalition undermining democracy etc.

The reality is that SF are the largest single party in the Dáil now - they are the lead opposition and will have to be dealt with as such. A blanket response of "but the IRA" to any challenge they throw at the government isn't going to work - it will only make the government and its supporters look weak, unable to defend its ideas & policies. That, in combination with the infighting that has already started (poor oul' Dillie hasn't even got a junior post), will in the eyes of a growing percentage of the electorate make SF look like the ones who are more capable of governing.
            Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by mr chips View Post
              Meh - it's a fairly heavily slanted opinion piece, strong on how-dare-they outrage and emotive language and lacking in any serious analysis. Tbh the way it gives the last government a free pass over housing and Maria Bailey (the only failure apparently being how they allowed SF to dominate the media narrative concerning these issues, rather than the issues themselve) actually plays right into the hands of a Sinn Féin narrative about the largest party being excluded from power, people not getting the change they voted for, the new coalition undermining democracy etc.

The reality is that SF are the largest single party in the Dáil now - they are the lead opposition and will have to be dealt with as such. A blanket response of "but the IRA" to any challenge they throw at the government isn't going to work - it will only make the government and its supporters look weak, unable to defend its ideas & policies. That, in combination with the infighting that has already started (poor oul' Dillie hasn't even got a junior post), will in the eyes of a growing percentage of the electorate make SF look like the ones who are more capable of governing.
              Its a balance to the Una Mullally rubbish earlier in the week
              Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

Didn't see that - any link?
                Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by Major TNT View Post
                  Willie o'dea the latest fianna fail heavyweight to stick the boot into meehole. Didnt take long for things to get nasty..

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/poli...-dea-1.4294512

Fianna Fáil Limerick City TD Willie O’Dea is the latest party figure to attack Taoiseach Micheál Martin over his junior ministerial appointments.

Mr O’Dea, the former minister for defence, said he is “bitterly disappointed for the people of Limerick that the third city of the Republic and economic driver of the mid-west has been completely overlooked for either senior or junior ministerial appointments.

“I have been inundated with messages from people who feel let down and grossly insulted. “There are three government TDs out of four in Limerick City, yet Micheál Martin has felt it appropriate to insult all the people of Limerick City with this decision.
                  WOD has taken another few steps to the door marked "Exit", his time is up and MeHole has let him know, no more lies on affidavits.

Click image for larger version

Name:	WOD 3.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	2601264

Comment

At 7.35 am a passenger laden flight from covid ridden texas lands in dublin airport. None of the passengers have to obey a mandatory 14 day quarantine period.
                    Earlier this week texas reported 10,000 new covid cases IN ONE DAY.

Why are the fianna fail government allowing these dangerous flights into the country given that non essential travel from Ireland to the US is advised against by the HSE?

Comment

Comment

At 7.35 am a passenger laden flight from covid ridden texas lands in dublin airport. None of the passengers have to obey a mandatory 14 day quarantine period.
                        Earlier this week texas reported 10,000 new covid cases IN ONE DAY.

Why are the fianna fail government allowing these dangerous flights into the country given that non essential travel from Ireland to the US is advised against by the HSE?
                        leaving aside the wisdom of accepting flights at all, I think all are required to quarantine or self isolate for 14 days. How enforceable that is I dont know I would imagine a lot of it is on an honor system
                        Also I'd imagine most are Irish citizens & coming to see family

Comment

My brother is finally flying home from Spain this coming weekend, having spent over four months longer there than he intended to between lockdown and travel restrictions. I know he's currently healthy, but because of the flight itself - i.e. being in an enclosed space for three hours with people whose Covid status can't be ascertained - he will be camping here for a fortnight before he can take a step into the house at all, or visit any other family/friends (assuming he doesn't develop any symptoms over that time). It's definitely not how we would want things to be, but it was actually his suggestion and both of us were of the view that this is the most sensible approach. However, since the facilities are here to enable him to do that, it's not too great an imposition. I'm not sure how others would manage to do similar, or if they will even bother.
                          Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by Yatenga View Post

leaving aside the wisdom of accepting flights at all, I think all are required to quarantine or self isolate for 14 days. How enforceable that is I dont know I would imagine a lot of it is on an honor system
                            Also I'd imagine most are Irish citizens & coming to see family
                            There isnt much of a requirement for them to self isolate. Can you trust the maga headbangers anyway?
                            Guy handing out sheets of paper with vague info in arrivals, passengers from many covid ridden areas arriving, they MAY get a phone call to check up on them during their stay. Its far too lax.
                            The whole masks on buses thing is nonsense considering we're potentially importing the corona virus on every passenger plane that lands here..

Eamonn ryan is the minister for transport, he's gone into hiding by the looks of it.

Comment

There isnt much of a requirement for them to self isolate. Can you trust the maga headbangers anyway?
                              Guy handing out sheets of paper with vague info in arrivals, passengers from many covid ridden areas arriving, they MAY get a phone call to check up on them during their stay. Its far too lax.
                              The whole masks on buses thing is nonsense considering we're potentially importing the corona virus on every passenger plane that lands here..

Eamonn ryan is the minister for transport, he's gone into hiding by the looks of it.
                              And how do you propose stopping people travelling from NI - border checkpoints ....?
                              It has already been made clear on national airwaves that many have travelled south this way.
                              "I've got lots of potatos that need peeling and manure that needs shovelling" -M. Burns :_skull__rvmp_by_bad

Comment

Working...
                              X