Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Corona Virus...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    As the immortal Con said, "A man that would misuse an apostrophe is capable of anything"

    Comment


      i would hope it is sensibly applied.

      Comment


        Originally posted by Piquet View Post
        Jag, my point was that all equations are exponential, given that they all contain exponents. All else being equal, a cubic graph increases more than a quadratic one.
        Certainly, but that isn’t the technical meaning of an exponential growth - as distinct from a power function etc etc. The importance of this is that the estimated rate of growth/ decline and the consistency of that change will be very different depending on which mathematical function is used to fit the data- and hence will give very different predictions for some future point. There’s a general misuse of the term exponential in the media, which some people seems to thing means big, fast, or accelerating, etc which entirely misses the key point about exponential growth - which is that it is infinite, compared with other functions, which ‘saturate’- that is reach a maximum.

        In terms of quadratic and cubic, and ‘all things being equal’, a quadratic will give someone like a chance in angle somewhere along a straight line, a cubic will have a second point of inflection- so you get a potentially have a different shape from both. So imagine you are climbing a hill- one with a steady ascent to the summit is linear (ish), having a plateau part way up is a quadratic, but if there is another hill to climb before the summit is reached, the time you have to model it with a cubic function, otherwise you can’t reach the summit.

        I’d still much prefer to be watching rugby.

        Comment


          Originally posted by B.A. View Post

          Lads, in the immortal words of Adele King, zip up your Mickeys
          It’s not an argument- if it was I’d desist- were just clarifying what we mean- I doubt there’s any bad feeling in either side- and if it helps people understand a bit more then I think that’s ok. That said, I will zip up carefully avoiding my foreskin.

          Comment


            Originally posted by Piquet View Post
            As the immortal Con said, "A man that would misuse an apostrophe is capable of anything"
            Even an old highfield man like myself would agree with that.

            Comment


              The point of inflection is the important thing. We need to be reaching one soon.

              Comment


                https://2kmfromhome.com/

                Might be of use to some of you.
                Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

                Comment


                  Maybe Boris is right about Brexit.

                  https://www.irishtimes.com/news/irel...taly-1.4214229

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by glorob View Post
                    Ouch. There’s a comment made above about Dyson and why it’s crazy of the UK to seek new manufacturers etc. Apparently, for Respirators for Covid need a far narrower range of function than those normally used in ICU etc., and thus it may well be sensible to design and build a covid specific device.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

                      Ouch. There’s a comment made above about Dyson and why it’s crazy of the UK to seek new manufacturers etc. Apparently, for Respirators for Covid need a far narrower range of function than those normally used in ICU etc., and thus it may well be sensible to design and build a covid specific device.
                      From Supermarket giant Carrefour in France:

                      "To support French production, we have decided to stop the sale of fruit and vegetables from abroad where there is a French alternative available".

                      Comment


                        Imperial College released their latest report yesterday.

                        https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imp...26-03-2020.pdf

                        They have modelled numbers worldwide:

                        https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imp...scenarios.xlsx

                        The striking thing on the current model is how reducing social contact is a massive game changer. Obviously later models will differ ....
                        Last edited by fitzy73; 28th-March-2020, 20:57.
                        Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

                        Comment


                          Hugh Linehan has posted his mam with a song to cheer us up at this time of great stress.
                          Last edited by Piquet; 28th-March-2020, 17:02. Reason: Typo

                          Comment


                            I am sincerely, desperately and definitivley sick of all that ****! On the german tv, a doctor explained the price of a surgery mask jumped from 0.70€ to 10€ THE piece. And now, on Sky News, they just explained the price of a respirator in Trump's and Bazos' wonderful country jumped from 25000$ to 45000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                            Months ago, a famous german economist explained we are no more in the era of capitalism, but in an era of "profitism"...
                            Do you really think the things will change after the crisis?.. I cannot do anything else than hopping so. But I am convinced there won't be any change. There is no hope in the human greedy nature.
                            I hope those speculators and profiteers who take benefit of the death of innocents will be caught and hung by the ********! That's all they deserve!

                            Stay safe, guys, and take care of your familiies.
                            The Scots (originally Irish, but by now Scotch) were at this time inhabiting Ireland, having driven the Irish (Picts) out of Scotland; while the Picts (originally Scots) were now Irish (living in brackets) and vice versa. It is essential to keep these distinctions clearly in mind (and verce visa).

                            Comment


                              Same dax, stay safe
                              Gwan Joe!!

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by JN.Allezdax.com View Post
                                I am sincerely, desperately and definitivley sick of all that ****! On the german tv, a doctor explained the price of a surgery mask jumped from 0.70€ to 10€ THE piece. And now, on Sky News, they just explained the price of a respirator in Trump's and Bazos' wonderful country jumped from 25000$ to 45000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                Months ago, a famous german economist explained we are no more in the era of capitalism, but in an era of "profitism"...
                                Do you really think the things will change after the crisis?.. I cannot do anything else than hopping so. But I am convinced there won't be any change. There is no hope in the human greedy nature.
                                I hope those speculators and profiteers who take benefit of the death of innocents will be caught and hung by the ********! That's all they deserve!

                                Stay safe, guys, and take care of your familiies.
                                You too, Allezdax, the profiteering is dreadful- but there is also a huge amount of humanity and kindness- when this ends, and it will, I hope those who have sought to profit from others’ tragedy will be isolated by us all.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X