No announcement yet.

Corona Virus...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have flights booked on Ryanair in April, holding out for them to cancel, they haven’t yet, as have no wish to go with changed date in the future and seemingly they’ve also put in sneaky algorithm that adds on a few quid if you’re changing them for ‘free’
    Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

reading on a travel page that they've effectively cancelled all flights but just wont confirm it while pushing people to rebook. not taking bookings on any flights for weeks. so unless they fly empty planes (if they are even allowed ) they will eventually cancel
      "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

hotel acknowledged cancellation but said will take 10 days to 2 weeks to process which i dont mind. lots of complaints online that ryanair refund option not working on site where cancellation of flight confirmed. not sure about aer lingus
        "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

It’s not a turn around- we’ve basically seen warning, advice, insistence, enforcement... each future stage being flagged as each decision was released. It’s like each part was tightening, presumably with case monitoring at each stage. He said they will review in three weeks- by that stage there should be a clearly different profile to Italy- if not, Christ knows.
          And yet they went from having an approach that was queried by the WHO and others, for being too lax, to lockdown. Time will tell if they left it too late when the infection/mortality rates are known and compared to similar sized countries
          "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Hugged Rugger View Post
            Anyone have flights booked in coming weeks? Aer Lingus offering me credit+10% but if flight later cancelled I won't get refund. Ryanair still on free change of flight only. Neither publishing lists of cancelled flights but not taking bookings on existing flights so feel I should hold out for cancellation and refund
            My wife was flying to England next week with Ryanair and her flight was cancelled last Friday and there was a refund option. So maybe they are leaving it till 2 weeks from flight before cancelling. Not sure. Also said it would take up to 20 days for refund to be paid into account.
            Life is good

Comment

On RTÉ: Former senior official at the World Health Organization Anthony Costello said the UK did not follow WHO advice to mobilise communities, test for cases, trace their contacts and quarantine at the start of the outbreak.

The Professor of Global Health and Sustainable Development at University College London said his feeling is that the UK moved too slowly, but welcomed the moves by Boris Johnson last night.

He said the lockdown is important, but in Europe we have a "staggered epidemic" - where the UK is about two weeks behind Italy and Ireland is even further behind.

"There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Comment

Originally posted by Waterfordlad View Post
                On RTÉ: Former senior official at the World Health Organization Anthony Costello said the UK did not follow WHO advice to mobilise communities, test for cases, trace their contacts and quarantine at the start of the outbreak.

The Professor of Global Health and Sustainable Development at University College London said his feeling is that the UK moved too slowly, but welcomed the moves by Boris Johnson last night.

He said the lockdown is important, but in Europe we have a "staggered epidemic" - where the UK is about two weeks behind Italy and Ireland is even further behind.

I’m not sure what Costello is basing his opinion on, but from the start cases and their contacts were tested and traced, and quarantined. After a period of time the tracing and testing contacts stopped because the numbers were too large and widespread to make it an effective use of resources- but associates of cases were given advice directly about monitoring for symptoms etc. A cursory survey of the media from a few weeks ago would show people being taken to and released from quarantine. I know, second hand but from three independent sources, all of whom get daily NHS information feeds, that in my local hospital there were two cases in quarantine four weeks ago.

There is any amount of misinformation out there, and in a situation where no one knows the answer there are inevitably plenty of people willing, for whatever reason, to suggest they do. I have opinions, like many others, that I’ll try to base on what evidence I can glean, and defend these until the data change my view- but I certainly wouldn’t insist that I am right, that would be foolish- just as it would be to hold a position I knew to be false. Some of the nonsense that’s out there isn’t repudiated lest the repudiation give the story more credence and it distracts people from what they should be doing to orchestrate a massive and every changing response to the most cataclysmic event in our life time. This is exactly what happens when people face uncertainty, fear and panic- I think it is irresponsible of people who should know better than to fuel that in the media, even if they have a contrary view- there are channels through which this can be done.

Comment

It’s not a turn around- we’ve basically seen warning, advice, insistence, enforcement... each future stage being flagged as each decision was released. It’s like each part was tightening, presumably with case monitoring at each stage. He said they will review in three weeks- by that stage there should be a clearly different profile to Italy- if not, Christ knows.

A couple of weeks ago he was boasting about shaking hands with Corona patients in hospital, and stating explicitly that restricting movement and transport would not happen.

The herd immunity policy has been abandoned, and its now well documented that it was abandoned when they realised the magnitude of their error.

The administrations inaction and failure to prepare will thousands of lives.
                  "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Jagawayagain is far too rational. There's politics feeding into 'scientific' strategy and it's common sense to factor in political self interest skewing judgement, let alone honesty.

Comment

Originally posted by tippete7trees View Post
                      Jagawayagain is far too rational. There's politics feeding into 'scientific' strategy and it's common sense to factor in political self interest skewing judgement, let alone honesty.
                      Munster fans is the only place I make sense, and you can see how limited even that is.

Comment

What are your thoughts on the materiality of the offside line in rugby?
                        I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                          or the three year crop-rotation plan

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                            Fake rules. Referee witch hunts.

Comment

Originally posted by Sulla View Post
                              Have flights booked on Ryanair in April, holding out for them to cancel, they haven’t yet, as have no wish to go with changed date in the future and seemingly they’ve also put in sneaky algorithm that adds on a few quid if you’re changing them for ‘free’
                              If it any help. A mate was due to fly to London last Saturday. Like yourself he had no interest in changing and was just going to lie the loss. It cost €37 each for 2. €12 over and €25 back on the Sunday.
                              Then at 8pm on Friday he got an email stating the flight was moved to 9pm Saturday night. Original time was 7.05am.
                              Under EU Reg 261 he is now getting €500 back. €250 each so hold on and keep that regulation in mind.

Comment

I’m not sure what Costello is basing his opinion on, but from the start cases and their contacts were tested and traced, and quarantined. After a period of time the tracing and testing contacts stopped because the numbers were too large and widespread to make it an effective use of resources- but associates of cases were given advice directly about monitoring for symptoms etc. A cursory survey of the media from a few weeks ago would show people being taken to and released from quarantine. I know, second hand but from three independent sources, all of whom get daily NHS information feeds, that in my local hospital there were two cases in quarantine four weeks ago.

There is any amount of misinformation out there, and in a situation where no one knows the answer there are inevitably plenty of people willing, for whatever reason, to suggest they do. I have opinions, like many others, that I’ll try to base on what evidence I can glean, and defend these until the data change my view- but I certainly wouldn’t insist that I am right, that would be foolish- just as it would be to hold a position I knew to be false. Some of the nonsense that’s out there isn’t repudiated lest the repudiation give the story more credence and it distracts people from what they should be doing to orchestrate a massive and every changing response to the most cataclysmic event in our life time. This is exactly what happens when people face uncertainty, fear and panic- I think it is irresponsible of people who should know better than to fuel that in the media, even if they have a contrary view- there are channels through which this can be done.
                                Just curious. From approx when do you think they abandoned efforts to confirm/trace etc...? Approx.
                                The whole world cries out peace, freedom and a few less fat bastards eating all the pie.

Comment

Working...
                                X