No announcement yet.

Corona Virus...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah - and I realise I'm at risk of only posting about the bad stuff, for which I apologise. I know so many of us have been checking up on friends and people we're not as close with who are maybe more vulnerable etc, making sure people's spirits are up, they're ok for supplies and so on. I even had the guy who's been doing contracting work for me ring me this morning to check I was doing ok! And I was really impressed to read about the move Gary Neville and Ryan Giggs made across the water in terms of their chain of hotels, telling all staff BEFORE the big rescue package for businesses was announced that their jobs were safe and making the hotels available to NHS staff free of charge.
    Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2020-03-23 at 13.18.27.png
Views:	81
Size:	214.2 KB
ID:	2596786
      I am the million man.

Comment

Declared active cases is pretty mich a function of how many we can test, and we're pretty behind in the testing stakes, which means the only reliable stat unfortunately is fatalities and even that relies on the comparable infected demographics to be used as an effective indicator.

However, the UK has much, much higher fatalities, despite lower active and recovered cases in proportion to population. This suggests -
        1. They are doing a lot less testing (proportionally)
        2. Their situation is much worse that the 'active' stats indicate (which is what most people are looking at)

This does have a long way to go, but one thing that scares me is given our close proximity, their 'herd immunity' approach (which frankly, given the numbers, I suspect is now the de facto approach regardless of intent), will mean they run the risk of continuously reinfecting us even if we contain well, until their slope comes right down.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post

End. Of. Days.
          When things go wrong, blame McGahan

Comment

Originally posted by B.A. View Post

End. Of. Days.
            I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post

I reckon their chicken gravy is more effective than hand sanitizer
              "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

the sheer stupidity of people congregating in groups at the weekend was breathtaking. it seems like everybody had to go to their favourite spot for some exercise whereas all the safe exercise you need can be got right outside your front door by going for a walk and using social distancing guidelines. ok in an urban setting its a bit more difficult but still doable. unfortunately I think it will inevitably take a big rise in fatalities to make people take this seriously.
                ive heard also first hand evidence of teens coming up coughing into elderly peoples faces for a dare or a laugh, also kids spitting on shopping trolleys etc, sometimes I despair of certain members of our society and their lack of common decency and manners. little ****ers better not try that with me.
                Still there's a light I hold before me
                You're the measure of my dreams
                The measure of my dreams.

Comment

It's only a matter of time before some fairly Draconian measures are announced. I've feeling Johnson is going to lockdown the UK tonight.

Was talking to a friend from Derry today, he was telling me about groups of kids generally being dicks. He said he hopes the the Army are deployed soon.

We are well beyond the looking glass when a Derry nationalist is looking for the British Army on the streets ...
                  Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Lockdown it is, about time.
                    Commemorate Nevin Spence here -
                    http://www.mycharity.ie/event/munste..._nevin_spence/

Comment

Can we have the same here please?

Comment

Some turn around by Boris. Hope it’s not too late

stay safe all our UK-based posters
                        "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Waterfordlad View Post
                          Some turn around by Boris. Hope it’s not too late

stay safe all our UK-based posters
                          It’s not a turn around- we’ve basically seen warning, advice, insistence, enforcement... each future stage being flagged as each decision was released. It’s like each part was tightening, presumably with case monitoring at each stage. He said they will review in three weeks- by that stage there should be a clearly different profile to Italy- if not, Christ knows.

Comment

Tube and trains still running. Construction sites still open. How are they going to check if you've had you "one a day" exercise? I haven't seen a police officer on my street in at least 5 years. ​​​​

These are half arsed measures which will no doubt be flouted. I can guarantee that they will have to use the army before anyone takes any notice.
                            Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Anyone have flights booked in coming weeks? Aer Lingus offering me credit+10% but if flight later cancelled I won't get refund. Ryanair still on free change of flight only. Neither publishing lists of cancelled flights but not taking bookings on existing flights so feel I should hold out for cancellation and refund
                              "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

(won't get refund if I take the credit offer)
                                "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

Working...
                                X