Corona Virus...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stay safe Mr Chips
    "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Originally posted by mr chips View Post
      One of my nieces qualified as a doctor. Yesterday. She now starts work four months earlier than normal. Talk about being chucked in at the deep end.

If you think it's bad in the south, be grateful that you don't live in NI, where the First Minister and Education Minister chose to be "led by the science" only so long as it adhered to the decisions being made in Westminster, rather than risk being perceived to reflect the approach in Dublin. Because, you know, that's Dublin and we're different. Both of these are of course in the DUP - something which should be completely irrelevant at a time like this, but somehow still isn't. They have put us all at greater risk for the sake of political optics rather than be cognisant of the clear difference in circumstances resulting from living on a separate bloody island from Britain while sharing an imaginary border with an administration adopting a different strategy from London's, one which is more appropriate to a geo-bound territory with the same overall population spread and patterns of intersocial contact. They've even made an utter balls of the eventual decision to close schools, which it turns out isn't really a proper closure at all and will not, as things stand, result in the kind of social distancing required. It's a sh1tshow.
      I'm a teacher in Belfast and the whole thing is a farce. They've known this was coming for 3 months and yet it seems no one has actually thought about what we would do. There should have been a joint North-South strategy put in place. We are a small island with a small widely dispersed population. This shouldn't be rocket science to contain and isolate. Look at what Singapore have managed to do.
      Commemorate Nevin Spence here -
      http://www.mycharity.ie/event/munste..._nevin_spence/

Comment

Many countries in Europe are reinstating border control. Maybe the Republic should do the same. or would this be out of the question?

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie Brown View Post

I'm a teacher in Belfast and the whole thing is a farce. They've known this was coming for 3 months and yet it seems no one has actually thought about what we would do. There should have been a joint North-South strategy put in place. We are a small island with a small widely dispersed population. This shouldn't be rocket science to contain and isolate. Look at what Singapore have managed to do.
          Govt sponsored App in Singapore to help with community tracing

https://www.tracetogether.gov.sg/?fb...Yo_buqARLceWGw
          Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

Waterford is very quiet thankfully - what are other areas like?

"There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

A friend send me this earlier. Watch to the very end.

https://vimeo.com/398651424
              Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Heartbreaking stuff
                Only fools and drunks argue over everything. If you don’t have a hangover the next day you’re not the drunk...

Comment

Originally posted by Rebel Yell View Post
                  For the poster who contiues with the vendetta on Ff/FG and blaming various for every natural disaster under the sun please STOP.
                  I am an ED nurse who previously would have little time for Leo or Simon. However I along with all the colleagues I have spoken with are v reassured as to how they are handling this unprecedented crisis. Please lay off!!!
                  We as a nation can be proud so far. The head of WHO Medical is an Irishman we have truly excellent medics leading us and steady hands in Dr Leo Varadkhar (who understands all the nuances) Simon Harris who is following advice and Simon Coveney who has medics in rhe family and been a steady pair of hands.

Our nation with minor exceptions has followed advice and the response of the public has been incredibly generous. The much maligned public service in particular social welfare doing huge work in a shortspace of time.
                  In hospital we have admin clerical it cleaners hcas porters maintenance nurses and drs all pulling together to get us through.
                  For those working in the private sector unbelievable hardship but so much generosity from those whose finances may be changed for years to come.
                  We get our nations health right and then we will get together again to support our private enterprises.

Apologies if this comes across as a sermon or rant but it is easy with all the negatives around us to lose sight of the inherent good in people.
                  Neither a sermon nor a rant, but a very reassuring and valuable insight RY. Thank you!

Míle buíochas and wishing you and all the very best.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post
                    A friend send me this earlier. Watch to the very end.

https://vimeo.com/398651424
                    Heartbreaking.
                    "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

https://www.buzzfeed.com/alexwickham...virus-approach

This, if accurate, seems to verify what I suspected was happening in Westminster. Conflicting advice, rowing factions and a decision ultimately made ideologically.
                      "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
                        https://www.buzzfeed.com/alexwickham...virus-approach

This, if accurate, seems to verify what I suspected was happening in Westminster. Conflicting advice, rowing factions and a decision ultimately made ideologically.
                        On 4th March the Chinese Ambassador to Ireland was quoted as saying "Our experience is that at the early stage we need to make some hard decisions in terms of if mass gatherings need to be held or not".

Mr Xiangdong added that the health threat can only be handled by countries working closely together and by "hard decisions" being taken on travel, public gatherings and screening. (As reported in the Irish Independent at the time).

There would appear to be no European Government that has learned from the Chinese experience in relation to Covid 19. However, it may well be they have realised that what was imposed in China to suppress the virus simply could not be done here at an early stage.
                        Last edited by glorob; 21st-March-2020, 12:20.

Comment

Originally posted by glorob View Post

On 4th March the Chinese Ambassador to Ireland was quoted as saying "Our experience is that at the early stage we need to make some hard decisions in terms of if mass gatherings need to be held or not".

Mr Xiangdong added that the health threat can only be handled by countries working closely together and by "hard decisions" being taken on travel, public gatherings and screening. (As reported in the Irish Independent at the time).

There would appear to be no European Government that has learned from the Chinese experience in relation to Covid 19. However, it may well be they have realised that what was imposed in China to suppress the virus simply could not be done here at an early stage.
                          I’d say it’s much more a column a answer. That is that no European government learned from the Chinese experience. Probably because SARS and MERS and Ebola seem like distant memories in space and time and seemed to just pass us by.
                          Only fools and drunks argue over everything. If you don’t have a hangover the next day you’re not the drunk...

Comment

Originally posted by Oldschoolsocks View Post

I’d say it’s much more a column a answer. That is that no European government learned from the Chinese experience. Probably because SARS and MERS and Ebola seem like distant memories in space and time and seemed to just pass us by.
                            But look around Ireland, the UK, Europe and beyond and you will still see plenty of examples of feckless behaviour. It is as if some people have either not copped on to, or are incapable of grasping, the severity of what we all face. Only 2 or 3 weeks ago there would have been many, many more in that group.
                            Last edited by glorob; 21st-March-2020, 13:03.

Comment

But look around Ireland, the UK, Europe and beyond and you will still see plenty of examples of feckless behaviour. It is as if some people have either not copped on to, or are incapable of grasping, the severity of what we all face. Only 2 or 3 weeks ago there would have been many, many more in that group.
                              Ok gotcha now, there’s been tons of reckless personal behaviour alright, however I find it crazy that the schools stayed open so long, that bars and cafes were allowed to remain open, that flights from affected areas were allowed to either leave or land, that Cheltenham was allowed to go ahead, and so on and that’s where I feel that European governments did not learn from the Chinese experience.

but for sure a modern European population will have difficulties in remaining under lockdown for a substantial period of time.

Comment

Incapable, I would say.

One of the things I've noticed here is that people I know from the Philippines, China, Lebanon, Syria, Africa etc have a far clearer understanding of how fragile things can be. Personal experience of flooding, earthquakes, fire, volcanoes, food shortages, war, unrest, violence....

We see, I think, in the rhetoric around refugees that many Europeans have totally lost any sense of just how bad things can get when the world around you goes to ****.

And that breeds a sense of reckless immunity.

I was talking to a Kenyan girl about this the other day, and the phrase she used was "that's because you're all too busy worrying about crazy white person ****". And she's spot on.
                                "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Working...
                                X