Corona Virus...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Oldschoolsocks View Post

I don't really understand your point in bold.
    It's to do with govt's confused attitude to enforcement of covid19 restrictions.
    Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by rathbaner View Post

It's to do with govt's confused attitude to enforcement of covid19 restrictions.
      oh right, but I'm not sure the two are connected.

Apparently if a Train Driver feels the need they can call control who will organise the Gardai to be at the next station to deal with any situation, so that's fine right?

I'm not sure what the bit about the Gardai being able to enter your house bit is? what is that and is it new?
      Only fools and drunks argue over everything. If you don’t have a hangover the next day you’re not the drunk...

Comment

Originally posted by tippete7trees View Post
        https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...mmunity-emails

I have a vague memory of a herd of pandemic experts on here telling us Sweden was the business in how to manage the oul covid.
        https://edition.cnn.com/2020/08/20/e...ntl/index.html
        I am the million man.

Comment

Here in the UK mask wearing on public transport is a bit of a standing joke. Most people wear them getting on and off, but pull them down as soon as they are are actually onboard. I'd say my local shop is about 75% complaint for wearing masks.

I was talking to a friend in Portugal who was telling me the Portuguese police do random checks on public transport, both in uniform and in plain clothes. No mask fully on (no mouth riders) on public transport and it's a 120 euro fine on the spot. No ifs, no buts, pay up. She was saying there is near 100% compliance for wearing masks.

Funny that.
          Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldschoolsocks View Post

I'm not sure what the bit about the Gardai being able to enter your house bit is? what is that and is it new?
            Yes. The govt, according to newspaper reports, want to appear tougher on enforcing the restrictions. But instead of doing simple things which could help support public confidence in the measures, for example, having Garda foot patrols get on random Dublin buses and travelling a stop or two to check mask compliance among passengers, they are proposing sweeping new powers to enter people's homes without a warrant on the pretext of checking that you aren't sneaking neighbours and friends in for a chat.

It's a hallmark of this govt that simple tasks to support the national effort seem beyond it.

Comment

Yes. The govt, according to newspaper reports, want to appear tougher on enforcing the restrictions. But instead of doing simple things which could help support public confidence in the measures, for example, having Garda foot patrols get on random Dublin buses and travelling a stop or two to check mask compliance among passengers, they are proposing sweeping new powers to enter people's homes without a warrant on the pretext of checking that you aren't sneaking neighbours and friends in for a chat.

It's a hallmark of this govt that simple tasks to support the national effort seem beyond it.
              Also to give the Garda power to enter someones home will need new legislation and seeing as Leinster house is on holiday (when not golfing) they will not be able to do that either.
              Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Originally posted by McCloud View Post

Also to give the Garda power to enter someones home will need new legislation and seeing as Leinster house is on holiday (when not golfing) they will not be able to do that either.
                True and i'd be astonished it such a law survived a Dail vote or if it did, a legal challenge.
                Last edited by rathbaner; 22-August-2020, 21:32.

Comment

Originally posted by McCloud View Post

can the Gardai not already enter your home without a warrant in some circumstances ?
                  Only fools and drunks argue over everything. If you don’t have a hangover the next day you’re not the drunk...

Comment

True and i'd be astonished it such a law survived a Dail vote or if it did, a legal challenge.
                    All they have to do is make sure that Seamus Woulfe is one of the Judges that hears the referral to the Supreme Court.

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post

All they have to do is make sure that Seamus Woulfe is one of the Judges that hears the referral to the Supreme Court.
                      Ha,ha

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

Big Phil has issued a grovelling apology this morning.

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post
                          Big Phil has issued a grovelling apology this morning.
                          Which means nothing to be honest. Is it true as alleged he was in Holland golfing last week?
                          Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Jeez, between the HSE, Nphet & our politicians & gov the messaging around the latest c-19 guidelines has been even more all over the place than big Phil on his famous trip home, and that's saying something!!

Seriously, surely they should be able to communicate these measures better at this stage!?

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

Top FDA official says would resign if agency rubber-stamps an unproven COVID-19 vaccine

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN25H03H

A top U.S. health regulator who will help decide the fate of a coronavirus vaccine has vowed to resign if the Trump administration approves a vaccine before it is shown to be safe and effective, Reuters has learned.

Peter Marks, director of the Food and Drug Administration’s Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research, made the statement in response to concerns raised on a conference call late last week of government officials, pharmaceutical executives and academics who serve on a vaccine working group organized by the National Institutes of Health, according to three sources familiar with the matter.

When contacted by Reuters, Marks confirmed the account.

Scientists, public health officials and lawmakers are worried that the Trump administration will pressure the FDA to authorize a COVID-19 vaccine in advance of the November presidential election, even if data from clinical trials do not support its widespread use.

Marks told Reuters he has not faced any political pressure and that the FDA would be guided by science alone. Should that change, “I could not stand by and see something that was unsafe or ineffective that was being put through,” Marks said.

“You have to decide where your red line is, and that’s my red line,” he said. “I would feel obligated (to resign) because in doing so, I would indicate to the American public that there’s something wrong.”

He added that he would equally object if someone sought political gain by holding up approval of a vaccine that was shown to work, and that was safe.

Michael Caputo, assistant secretary for public affairs at the Department of Health and Human Services, which oversees FDA and NIH, said the government aims to identify a safe and effective vaccine by January 2021.
                              "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

An anti-facemask activist has been arrested in Co Wicklow for a public order offence while hanging up signs directed against public health advice on Covid-19.

The woman, who is aged in her early 50s, has attended several anti-lockdown protests in recent months.

Gardaí in south Dublin received several complaints from members of the public about a group of people hanging large banners over the edge of the footbridge on the N11 at Kilmacanogue.

Gardaí attended the scene just before 4pm where, according to footage shared on social media, they began removing and seizing the banners over the objections of a small group of protesters.

A garda asked one of the protesters for her name and address under the Public Order Act which she refused to give.

She called the gardaí “traitors to the Irish people” and warned them they will “go viral”. The footage, which was shot by the woman, appears to show a brief scuffle involving the her and a garda before she is placed under arrest.

It is understood she was arrested under Section 24 of the Public Order Act which allows gardaí to arrest a person who refuses to give their name and address if they suspect an offence has been committed.

“Gardaí were alerted to an incident on the N11 flyover footbridge at Kilmacanogue as a result of a number of complaints received from members of the public earlier this afternoon, Friday, 28th August, 2020 shortly after 4pm,” a Garda spokeswoman said.

“Gardaí attended the scene and arrested one female (early 50s) under the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act, 1994. She is currently in Bray Garda station.”

The Garda spokeswoman said investigations are ongoing.

Gemma O'Doherty seemingly, as much as I can't stand her I'd rather he be anonymous than get any publicity like this
                                "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

Working...
                                X