Corona Virus...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yatenga View Post

Are they being flexible in allowing outside drinking? I know Ireland doesnt have the weather for it all the time, but it does seem clear that anything that can be done outdoors is just a lot safer then indoors, and best give people their social fix before winter when its just not possible. Putting on a sweater of a cool evening seems a small price to pay if socilaizing in a pub is your thing

Bars here in Virginia/DC area are open but for outdoor seating only and even then with restrictions
    No. Only pubs that can serve a substantial meal can open. Having an outside area makes no difference. If you don't serve food you stay closed. It means that the few pubs that can open are up the walls and people are having non socially distanced house parties leading to an increase in transmission rates. It's actually ridiculous and not doing anything to resolve the issue of house parties.

Comment

But I thought there’s only a one in a million chance of infection?
      Only fools and drunks argue over everything. If you don’t have a hangover the next day you’re not the drunk...

Comment

Originally posted by Oldschoolsocks View Post
        But I thought there’s only a one in a million chance of infection?
        Out and about in the open air amongst the general public the chance is one in a million, As said by actual experts on the subject.. But I'm sure you already knew that.

Its a completely different story indoors at a house party. If one person has it, then by the end of the night everyone at the party will have it. And according to NPHET that's why our numbers of infections are increasing.

Comment

Ahhhh...

So what’s the solution?
          Only fools and drunks argue over everything. If you don’t have a hangover the next day you’re not the drunk...

Comment

https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts...ispatches-1918

It’s hard to imagine what the world will look like when COVID-19 has passed. So in this episode, we look back to the years after 1918, at the political, artistic, and viral aftermath of the flu pandemic that killed between 50 and 100 million people and left our world permanently transformed.

This episode was reported and produced by Rachael Cusick, Tad Davis, Tracie Hunte, Matt Kielty, Latif Nasser, Sarah Qari, Pat Walters, Molly Webster, with production assistance from Tad Davis and Bethel Habte.

Special thanks to the Radio Diaries podcast for letting us use an excerpt of their interview with Harry Mills. You can find the original episode here. For more on Egon Schiele’s life, check out the Leopold Museum’s biography, by Verena Gamper.

I am the million man.

Comment

I do wonder in the event of a second wave, could covid fatigue and complacency result in people with mild symptoms not bothering getting tested this time
              "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

A few months ago there were real estate bods arguing that social distancing would drive up value of real estate (yep, really).

Fujitsu just announced that it will cut office space by 50% in the next 3 years, and its 80,000 office staff in Japan will work from home as standard.

I hope whoever is running the numbers for various governments are modelling what impact an implosion in commercial real estate will have on banks, because it's ****ed.
                "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
                  A few months ago there were real estate bods arguing that social distancing would drive up value of real estate (yep, really).

Fujitsu just announced that it will cut office space by 50% in the next 3 years, and its 80,000 office staff in Japan will work from home as standard.

I hope whoever is running the numbers for various governments are modelling what impact an implosion in commercial real estate will have on banks, because it's ****ed.
                  I was talking to a fella on Saturday who works for a major international asset management company,. Their specialty is corporate and retail real estate. As you will imagine, they are pretty screwed. He was telling me that from April to June, they managed to take 6% of retail rents worldwide. I asked him about corporate space, and his response was one word - "f**ked".
                  Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Honestly this was happening anyway to a certain extent. I'm sure the virus will accelerate things but a good chunk of people I know in Dublin were doing a day or two from home well before lockdown. Office space will shrink as hot desk and WFH models become dominant but it's not going to happen overnight.
                    "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

Agree Fitzy & Jenta
                      "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

i wouldn't like to change job currently but it will be normalised that you start a job and not see the inside of the office for some time. plenty IT people in dublin in that boat currently
                        "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

Starting a new job in a months time
                          looking at maybe "the spring" before I see the office and even then max 2 days a week. Office may open before then but with no in person meetings which would be the only reason for me to go in (they will soon "allow" people go in but that's really only those who can't work from home)
                          I have to figure out how to coordinate picking up a laptop but that's pretty much it
                          I have been working from home since March so no change for me really

Comment

Originally posted by Jenta View Post
                            Honestly this was happening anyway to a certain extent. I'm sure the virus will accelerate things but a good chunk of people I know in Dublin were doing a day or two from home well before lockdown. Office space will shrink as hot desk and WFH models become dominant but it's not going to happen overnight.
                            It was more on a case by case basis though, and it was the exception rather than the rule. Offices were still the place to go to, and probably had 70% occupancy at any one time.

You've gone from that to pretty much zero occupancy in a few months. For the most part, productivity has stayed the same, and in some cases increased.

​​​​​​I think there will still be a places for offices, but they will be the exception rather than the rule. Covid has propelled the WFH movement 10 - 15 years imho.

All that being said, I think companies do need to think about younger employees who may not have space and need mentoring etc. There is also the mental side of it - as someone said recently "I don't know if I'm working from home or living at work". There is a ton of stuff we will need to agree with employers in the coming months and years (dedicated no meetings times / H&S at home / isolation worries) that is going to be a huge challenge.
                            Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post

It was more on a case by case basis though, and it was the exception rather than the rule. Offices were still the place to go to, and probably had 70% occupancy at any one time.

You've gone from that to pretty much zero occupancy in a few months. For the most part, productivity has stayed the same, and in some cases increased.

​​​​​​I think there will still be a places for offices, but they will be the exception rather than the rule. Covid has propelled the WFH movement 10 - 15 years imho.

All that being said, I think companies do need to think about younger employees who may not have space and need mentoring etc. There is also the mental side of it - as someone said recently "I don't know if I'm working from home or living at work". There is a ton of stuff we will need to agree with employers in the coming months and years (dedicated no meetings times / H&S at home / isolation worries) that is going to be a huge challenge.
                              Agreed with this, I spent some time working from home due to illness a few years ago and nearly lost my mind. You don't realise how important social contact is until it is gone. I have done some volunteer stuff with a local mens shed and all the retired members looking back said the social aspect of the work is what they missed the most. The work in the mens shed made them feel valued again.
                              When things go wrong, blame McGahan

Comment

Shirking from home is hell. Everyday is a ****ing Wednesday that's 14 hours long. Give me the inane monotonous interest of watching things change as I travel to and from work and the odd bit of the unexpected in an office environment any day.

Work is for work. Home is for not work.
                                I am the million man.

Comment

Working...
                                X