Corona Virus...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Viigand View Post
    I assume you see what’s happening in the US states that reopened too quickly?
    They never had it under control as we have, especially in the more mid-western states, I'm sure we may have local spikes but nothing like things were at the start
    Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

Fingers crossed it all remains simmering away this winter rather than growing faster than we have seen.

Given how much our way of life has changed in 7 months I would be hesitant to hold any convictions about what will or wont be happening in the next 7 months.

I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post

It's what people who don't like governments call governments. Or the bits of government they don't like.

In the US for instance, people who don't like Big Government don't consider a military budget bigger than the next ten biggest globally combined, 1.4 million active servicemen, 800k+ reservists and another 1.6 million people supplying them to be Big Government.

It's a bit of a moveable feast.
        Always enjoyed how the popular support for having such enormous numbers in the armed services generally comes from the same crowd who claim they need a whole pile of rifles in their house in case Big Government turns tyrannical.

Tyrannical against white folks too obviously, they're all for the army on the streets when it's them colourded folks kicking up a fuss.
        "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

The steep rise in cases in Israel centred around a beach resort seems like bad news for the UK. Beaches in England seemed to be pretty packed over the weekend.
          "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

Originally posted by Jenta View Post
            The steep rise in cases in Israel centred around a beach resort seems like bad news for the UK. Beaches in England seemed to be pretty packed over the weekend.
            Beaches in England have been pretty packed since the middle of May.

Comment

Originally posted by Wallyman View Post

Beaches in England have been pretty packed since the middle of May.
              They really haven't. A few days here and there in May, for sure, but the weather turned at the end of May and it pissed down for the last three weeks. It's been glorious this week, hence they are packed again. Traffic levels at maybe 80% of normal, and some kids (including mine) are back to school.

The "proper" opening up this week will feed in to the figures in about 3 weeks time. We will know then whether the relaxation was a good idea (or not).
              Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldschoolsocks View Post

No worries Daithi, but I don’t see how anyone could see what happened as an attempt to create a ‘big government, police state’...

Actually, while we’re at it. think I know what a police state is, what is ‘big government’ ?
                OK, I'm being a bit provocative in my language but still:

The HSE taking over the private hospitals was classic big government in action imho. Well run efficient hospitals, taken over in a (probably justified) panic, at huge expense to the taxpayer, and woefully run & underused under HSE management.

Who is paying for this? The taxpayer, (& their children!!), patients and those who'll be on longer waiting lists because of the suspension of care during this period.... classic big government.

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

So 6 out of 8 people may not generate antibodies rather their T-cells do the heavy lifting as far as immunity goes.

​​​​​https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ty-coronavirus
                  Commemorate Nevin Spence here -
                  http://www.mycharity.ie/event/munste..._nevin_spence/

Comment

Originally posted by Daithi View Post

OK, I'm being a bit provocative in my language but still:

The HSE taking over the private hospitals was classic big government in action imho. Well run efficient hospitals, taken over in a (probably justified) panic, at huge expense to the taxpayer, and woefully run & underused under HSE management.

Who is paying for this? The taxpayer, (& their children!!), patients and those who'll be on longer waiting lists because of the suspension of care during this period.... classic big government.
                    That’s the thing though Daithi, how am I to know what’s hyperbole, what’s just exaggeration and what is accurate?

I don‘t know enough about hospital occupancy and who decides how occupied to say whether they were 30% occupied and what that means, but what I have read online says on one particular day one particular private hospital was 34% occupied on one particular day, while others had a higher %occupancy, so I don’t know how your statement aligns with that.

I don’t know enough about how much medical services cost to know if the government got good value on what they paid to effectively rent the private hospitals.

Nor do I know enough about consultants contracts in general to know why the private consultants wouldn’t sign up to what was on offer.

What I do know is that the government in place at the time made a plan based on the information and model they had at the time, they communicated the plan clearly and executed it.

Was it perfect? No
                    Were there **** ups? Yes
                    In general was their plan successful? Well that can’t be judged yet.

in all honesty though I find the ‘big government’ and ‘land grab’ and ‘empty hospitals’ and ‘suspension of constitutional rights’ narratives fascinating. I don’t see it at all...
                    Last edited by Oldschoolsocks; 25-June-2020, 17:21.
                    Only fools and drunks argue over everything. If you don’t have a hangover the next day you’re not the drunk...

Comment

Looks like the great British public have taken Boris’s actions rather than words to heart..

and flocked in their droves to the beaches..

Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

Originally posted by Sulla View Post
                        Looks like the great British public have taken Boris’s actions rather than words to heart..

and flocked in their droves to the beaches..
                        merely checking their eyesight!
                        I am the million man.

Comment

They will fight it on the beaches...very Churchillian of them.

Comment

On Twitter

"From my 83 yr old mother in law.

I know I shouldn't have done this, but I am 83 years old and I was in the McDonald's Carrickmines drive-through yesterday and the young lady behind me leaned on her horn and started mouthing something because I was taking too long to place my order. So when I got to the first window I paid for her order along with my own. The cashier must have told her what I'd done, because as we moved up she leaned out her window and waved to me and mouthed "Thank you.", obviously embarrassed that I had repaid her rudeness with a kindness. When I got to the second windows showed them both receipts and took her food too. Now she has to go back to the end of the queue and start all over again, Don't blow your horn at old people, they have been around a long time."

Comment

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...egy-poll-finds

Swedes have made a bolliqs of it it seems (according to insiders in the FBI)
                              Stand up for the Ulcer men

Comment

Originally posted by Daithi View Post

Sweden 319 deaths per million versus Ireland's 304 deaths per million.

Even a blind liberal can see at that rate we ain't getting a lot of value for the extra locking down measures that are being imposed on our economy and on our civil liberties....
                                An update:

Sweden 523 deaths per million. Ireland 350 deaths per million.

Comment

Working...
                                X