No announcement yet.

Corona Virus...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm pretty sure cases have been rising in the US pretty much constantly. I read last week that Florida broke the US record for most daily cases 3 days in a row. It's a sh1tshow over there and it's only going to get worse with Trump in charge.

German cases aren't climbing. They've had one (admittedly huge) cluster in a meat factory in North Rhine Westphalia (see the above posts). Their numbers are actually still quite low. Local clusters are to be expected and have been previously flagged by authorities as a possibility.

Beijing is the same, it's a local outbreak. The virus isn't going away and this is how we'll have to live with it. Local outbreaks will happen and those localised areas will see restrictions. Chinese officials have already said that the Beijing outbreak is under control.

Comment

I know death figures depend hugely on the method of reporting but I still see it as encouraging that US deaths don't seem to have stayed as consistently high as their cases. It could be a sign that more vulnerable people are taking increased care. It could also be a sign that treatment has become more effective.

Of course it could just be that Trump has fired his previously loyal "death reports" guy and replaced him with a chimpanzee.
      "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

Originally posted by Jenta View Post
        I know death figures depend hugely on the method of reporting but I still see it as encouraging that US deaths don't seem to have stayed as consistently high as their cases. It could be a sign that more vulnerable people are taking increased care. It could also be a sign that treatment has become more effective.

Of course it could just be that Trump has fired his previously loyal "death reports" guy and replaced him with a chimpanzee.
        This has been remarked on not just in the US. Some of the theories are:

- Care of patients has improved - in my view likely.

- More people tested - if greater testing of lower risk people who have minimal symptoms then the death rate percentage will reside. - Again quite likely

- Virus has mutated and become less potent - no idea but I think there is probably some truth in terms of summer months and lower viral load.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	EbJDIFDXgAsAyQl?format=jpg&name=large.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	2600710

Comment

Originally posted by The Last Stand View Post

This has been remarked on not just in the US. Some of the theories are:

- Care of patients has improved - in my view likely.

- More people tested - if greater testing of lower risk people who have minimal symptoms then the death rate percentage will reside. - Again quite likely

- Virus has mutated and become less potent - no idea but I think there is probably some truth in terms of summer months and lower viral load.

Agree with 1st 2 points, re mutation who knows and unfortunately it probably wont be til flu season here Sept/Oct before that will become clearer. Australia/NZ experience in coming 2-3months may give an indicator.
            On improved care there has been huge sharing amongst medical community in the absence of definitive studies. Dexmethasone has been used in many ICUs for 2 months. Lessons were learnt from Italy and Spain.
            On improved testing this is a mantra from the off from Dr Mike Ryan of WHO who has been vocal from the start about importance of testing and tracing in reducing incidence. Apparently according to an idiot/POTUS it is a bad thing to test people and find out they are positive. I have to admit seeing the pics of the rally with no masks on Saturday I felt like chanting 'Lock them In'

Comment

Originally posted by Wallyman View Post
              I'm pretty sure cases have been rising in the US pretty much constantly. I read last week that Florida broke the US record for most daily cases 3 days in a row. It's a sh1tshow over there and it's only going to get worse with Trump in charge.

German cases aren't climbing. They've had one (admittedly huge) cluster in a meat factory in North Rhine Westphalia (see the above posts). Their numbers are actually still quite low. Local clusters are to be expected and have been previously flagged by authorities as a possibility.

Beijing is the same, it's a local outbreak. The virus isn't going away and this is how we'll have to live with it. Local outbreaks will happen and those localised areas will see restrictions. Chinese officials have already said that the Beijing outbreak is under control.
              The US is really just shifting geographies. Its a vast country. The NE has largely contained, cases and deaths in NY, NJ, Massachusetts are way down, DC and Maryland, Virginia also down
              Seattle did a good job as did SF
              Problem is south, and places like Texas, Arizona, also other parts of California
              There are big, big problems here. Dysfunctional public healthcare, uninsured populations and high populations with aggravated risk profiles (obesity, diabetes etc) were always going to make it hard. Add in absence of Presidential leadership, and worse a president who is actively undermining efforts, politicizing things like mask wearing, testing and stay at home orders. Some (but not all) Republican governors are following suit. There is no Federal leadership for testing and contact tracing, states are facing big revenue shortfalls impacting their ability to respond. Congress dithering on State relief.
              Some rural states started stay at homes relatively early but then abandoned them right when their cases started increasing (Trump said open up). And, politically there is no appetite for more of them. Its really up to individuals.
              We are going to have a long wave here.
              The inquests on this will go on for a long time - American hubris is in for a tough ride.

The absence of social capital, and trust in institutions is crippling the US response

Comment

The graphs in ick's post above are fairly frightening for India, the States and Brazil. India doesn't have a good enough health infrastructure and will struggle. Brazil has a limited health infrastructure and a callous and stupid President trying his best to obstruct his states management of the virus. The States should be able to manage the pandemic but has the worst President in its' history.

Despite his aides claims that he was joking he's not denying that he really asked his staff to reduce testing so as to keep the numbers down.

For reference, the USA ranks 26th in the rate of testing per head of population, behind countries such as Russia, the UK, Spain, Portugal and Belgium, and just ahead of Ireland - not exactly "testing more than any other country".

Maybe he thinks that the 120k+ who died of Covid did it to spite him and stop his re-election.

Comment

Meanwhile here in the UK we are now being told "1 metre plus" for social distancing. I mean, WTAF?

I can soak up the atmosphere of a gammon filled Weatherspoons, but not go for a swim in an outdoor pool.

What a pile of utter ****e.
                  Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post
                    Meanwhile here in the UK we are now being told "1 metre plus" for social distancing. I mean, WTAF?

I can soak up the atmosphere of a gammon filled Weatherspoons, but not go for a swim in an outdoor pool.

The inconsistency is a bit maddening. Gyms and pools here are supposed to open next week but not sure how they will operate.

on inconsistency, they are now talking about 5000 for outdoor gatherings from September. But 5000 in Donnybrook is different to 5000 in Thomond Park, Lansdowne Road and Croke Park.

Comment

Originally posted by ick View Post
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	EbJDIFDXgAsAyQl?format=jpg&name=large.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	2600710
                      It's almost like electing governments based on a combination of populism and nationalistic fervor is a bad idea.
                      "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

Hope the people who voted for Sinn Fein remember that next time out.

Comment

While I would agree that there is a worrying undercurrent of nationalism to a lot of Sinn Fein's vote, the party leadership and their policies are on a different planet to the stupidty-first style of ethno-nationalism espoused by the likes of Trump, Bolsonaro or Modi. In particular, aside from that one anti-vaxxer, there is no apparent dedication to rejecting scientific expertise.

I don't think anyone can honestly say that Ireland would now be in the position that Brazil or India find themselves if Sinn Fein had formed a Government in February.

Comment

Originally posted by Jenta View Post
                            I don't think anyone can honestly say that Ireland would now be in the position that Brazil or India find themselves if Sinn Fein had formed a Government in February.
                            Jeez Jenta I dunno. They haven't managed the Covid-19 crisis at all well in the North, they weren't at work (but nonetheless well paid) in either NI or Westminister, for 3 years of critical Brexit negotiations, while the most important existentialist legislation for NI, since the foundation of the state was being hashed out without their input. They are a classic populist, nationalist protest party imho....

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

Originally posted by Daithi View Post

Jeez Jenta I dunno. They haven't managed the Covid-19 crisis at all well in the North, they weren't at work (but nonetheless well paid) in either NI or Westminister, for 3 years of critical Brexit negotiations, while the most important existentialist legislation for NI, since the foundation of the state was being hashed out without their input. They are a classic populist, nationalist protest party imho....
                              and they're still clearly ambivalent on the need for non-jury courts. Perhaps understandable from their point of view in relation to trials of subversives, but now that their war has ended how can they ignore the need for fair trials without intimidation in relation to gang-related crime?

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post

One generates a lot of money for the economy, one doesn't. Zero f*cks given over here to health and well being, just spend spend spend.
                                The whole world cries out peace, freedom and a few less fat bastards eating all the pie.

Comment

Working...
                                X