Corona Virus...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wallyman View Post

There are no cancer screening services. There has been little to no inpatient services for the last three months. Private consultants couldn't see their patients because of the way the government took over the private hospitals, which remained empty for the whole course of the contract.

It most certainly isn't only down to people not willing to go to the hospital. And a lot of that fear is down to the terrible government messaging that was basically scaremongering rather than just telling people the facts.
    did the private hospitals remain empty ?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/heal...deal-1.4253879

"...Minister for Health Simon Harris said there was a “bit of a myth” that private hospitals were empty. He said in April the Bon Secours Hospital in Cork had 82 per cent occupancy, UPMC Whitfield in Waterford 55 per cent, the Mater Private Hospital Cork 57 per cent and the Mater Private Hospital in Dublin 60 per cent.

However, a group of fully private consultants who have not signed a State contract to work only in the public system maintained that across the private hospitals on May 12th, occupancy levels were 34 per cent and some had no in-patients...."
    Only fools and drunks argue over everything. If you don’t have a hangover the next day you’re not the drunk...

Comment

Originally posted by Oldschoolsocks View Post

did the private hospitals remain empty ?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/heal...deal-1.4253879

"...Minister for Health Simon Harris said there was a “bit of a myth” that private hospitals were empty. He said in April the Bon Secours Hospital in Cork had 82 per cent occupancy, UPMC Whitfield in Waterford 55 per cent, the Mater Private Hospital Cork 57 per cent and the Mater Private Hospital in Dublin 60 per cent.

However, a group of fully private consultants who have not signed a State contract to work only in the public system maintained that across the private hospitals on May 12th, occupancy levels were 34 per cent and some had no in-patients...."
      TBH I'd believe the consultants before the HSE

Comment

Originally posted by McCloud View Post

I don't get the idea that there will be a vaccine. We do not have one for Aids after how many years same for SARS in fact we do not have a vaccine for flu. Just a shot for last seasons flu. I suspect (hope) that just like HIV we or the people working in this area will develop efficient treatments for those inflected by this virus.
        I get the idea that there will be a vaccine. We do have one for Measles after how many years same for Polio in fact we even irradicated Smallpox. I suspect (hope) that just like Measles we or the people working in this area will develop efficient vaccines for those at risk of being infected by this virus.

Before comparing HIV to a Coronavirus read this https://www.healthline.com/health/hi...w-close-are-we

Flu is the king of evolution, every year it comes back slightly mutated, slightly different. Pharmaceutical Companies have to make educated guess on what flu strain is going to do the rounds each year.

We would have had a vaccine for SARS if it had stuck around long enough. People with SARS didn't become contagious until after symptoms appeared, so easier to track, trace and eliminate outbreaks. The Oxford University Vaccine work is using an edited version of their original SARS vaccine. That's why they were able to get out the gate quickly this time around. At least one vaccine will work, whether by making you immune or reducing the severity of symptoms.
        Last edited by Jackie Brown; 20-June-2020, 10:23.
        Commemorate Nevin Spence here -
        http://www.mycharity.ie/event/munste..._nevin_spence/

Comment

TBH I'd believe the consultants before the HSE
          That’s fine, so so on May 12th the consultants said there was 34 % occupancy

does that mean all of the private hospitals were empty on all days since the we locked down. And does empty mean that occupancy was zero?

Only fools and drunks argue over everything. If you don’t have a hangover the next day you’re not the drunk...

Comment

Everywhere was quiet. Not just because of public / private. There was massive cancellations of public lists before the hospital's even had to cancel anything. One day our A&E, mid week, had no patients when I had the system open and I thought there was a crash. Again not influenced by whether you have insurance or not. People did not want to be in hospitals. Now I know that's not across the board and there will be fall out from this. There is definitely people who were cancelled who could have been seen but theres not a simple answer to who did or didn't make the right choice
            "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

Originally posted by Hugged Rugger View Post
              Everywhere was quiet. Not just because of public / private. There was massive cancellations of public lists before the hospital's even had to cancel anything. One day our A&E, mid week, had no patients when I had the system open and I thought there was a crash. Again not influenced by whether you have insurance or not. People did not want to be in hospitals. Now I know that's not across the board and there will be fall out from this. There is definitely people who were cancelled who could have been seen but theres not a simple answer to who did or didn't make the right choice
              And there's the root of the problem with our medical system for me:
              People in hospitals that don't need to be there
              Pensioners in GPs for prescription refills

For sure there are other problems, but they're the biggies

Comment

Damning from The Economist

Welcome to the newsletter highlighting The Economist’s best writing on the pandemic. We have three covers this week. In our UK edition we analyse why Britain has come to have the highest overall death rate of any country in the rich world. Britain was always going to struggle with covid-19. London is an international hub, Britons are fatter than their fellow Europeans and the United Kingdom has a high share of ethnic-minority people, who are especially vulnerable to the disease. Yet the government has been slow to increase testing, identify a contact-tracing app, stop visits to care homes, ban big public events, provide health workers with personal protective equipment, and require people to wear face coverings on public transport. The painful conclusion is that Britain has the wrong government for a pandemic.

Comment

I went for my state sanctioned walk about 5 this evening.

Pretty much everyone on our road has a drive, so very few people need to park in the street. In a normal day, pre Covid, you'd get maybe 6 - 8 cars parked on the street. At weekends, may 12 - 14 if people had visitors etc.

Today there were 37 cars parked on the road.

I hope to feck the virus is dying down, because if it isn't then in 3 - 4 weeks it'll be horrendous again.

Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

People are far too cavalier with the loosing restrictions. Only a matter of time before it flares up again.

Comment

Professor Sam McConky

“So the risk of just someone in the street in the community unexpectedly showing up with it is around the one in a million per day, which is great.”
                      https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/...9-1006429.html

In Ireland, you're extremely unlikely to catch Covid 19, even with people being 'cavalier'. It may flare up again, but the procedures are in place to ensure that there won't be another lockdown.

Comment

You might think that. I have no confidence in the so-called procedures when I see pub guidelines being rolled out by Bord Failte and the publican lobby.

Comment

Originally posted by Viigand View Post
                          You might think that. I have no confidence in the so-called procedures when I see pub guidelines being rolled out by Bord Failte and the publican lobby.
                          When Sam McConky is saying this, then I fully believe it. He was one of those calling for the strongest of lockdowns at the start. If he's relaxed about it, then I definitely am.

Oh and I've yet to see the surge that was definitely happening because of people thronging to DIY stores and garden centers, or people having house parties, or people not social distancing in supermarkets or all the numerous other reasons.

The virus is practically non existant in the general population (as stated by NPHET), which is why the opening up has been accelerated.
                          Last edited by Wallyman; 20-June-2020, 23:21.

Comment

When Sam McConky is saying this, then I fully believe it. He was one of those calling for the strongest of lockdowns at the start. If he's relaxed about it, then I definitely am.

Oh and I've yet to see the surge that was definitely happening because of people thronging to DIY stores and garden centers, or people having house parties, or people not social distancing in supermarkets or all the numerous other reasons.

The virus is practically non existant in the general population (as stated by NPHET), which is why the opening up has been accelerated.
                            But FEAR is such a thrill for many Wm, that they'll miss it when it's gone.

Some people get off on crises, the more fear & hardship the better, they'll be feeling a little deflated by all this good news and positive indicators of the decline of the disease in the community.

I mean how can they alarm themselves & their neighbours if we can get back to normal!?

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post
                              I went for my state sanctioned walk about 5 this evening.

Pretty much everyone on our road has a drive, so very few people need to park in the street. In a normal day, pre Covid, you'd get maybe 6 - 8 cars parked on the street. At weekends, may 12 - 14 if people had visitors etc.

Today there were 37 cars parked on the road.

I hope to feck the virus is dying down, because if it isn't then in 3 - 4 weeks it'll be horrendous again.

It does seem to be. There haven't been many surges post lock down, though it's the systems with better testing that have managed to spot them.

The WHO has been very sceptical about the idea that the virus is becoming more benign, so perhaps its masks etc that are making the big difference?

The variable that I think is difficult to account for at the moment is work. If we look at how transmission clusters have happened at parties, events and work places, it does seem to be prolonged exposure that ups the numbers.

I suspect we'll need to see what happens when people are back in the same room for hours on end....
                              "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by Daithi View Post

But FEAR is such a thrill for many Wm, that they'll miss it when it's gone.

Some people get off on crises, the more fear & hardship the better, they'll be feeling a little deflated by all this good news and positive indicators of the decline of the disease in the community.

I mean how can they alarm themselves & their neighbours if we can get back to normal!?

I think that's quite a harsh take on people having pretty reasonable worries. You're heaping an awful lot of speculation on their psychology.

As far as I can see, it remains the case that the vast majority of people haven't contracted this illness, the WHO say it hasn't become more benign and is still the same virus.

Lockdown has limited spread, and it seems that since those restrictions have eased, numbers have stayed gradually under control. There have been a couple of flare ups, but there does seem to be a factor that's limiting spread. Could be masks, could be distancing, could be that lots of people are still not back in workplaces where they have long term exposure to people with infection.

Beyond that we really don't know, and I'm not sure that based on that anyone should be so strident.
                                "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Working...
                                X