Map of Europe at Night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Map of Europe at Night

Click image for larger version  Name:	large-satellite-image-photo-of-europe-at-night.jpg Views:	0 Size:	192.4 KB ID:	2592099

I don´t know if zooming in works too well with this image, the original is here.
    https://www.mapsland.com/maps/europe...e-at-night.jpg

Just offhand the size of the different cities in Ireland must be;
    Dublin
    Belfast
    Cork
    Derry
    Limerick
    Galway
    Waterford...

whats underneath Lough Neagh? Portadown, Craigavon area....? looks densely populated...

Click image for larger version  Name:	Ireland_At Night.jpg Views:	0 Size:	209.2 KB ID:	2592100
    He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Yeah it's Craigavon. Built as a commuter town, now famous for it's roundabouts.
    Commemorate Nevin Spence here -
    http://www.mycharity.ie/event/munste..._nevin_spence/

Comment

Brightly lit motorway and A road corridors on the approach to big towns and cities distort the apparent size. There's no way Ennis is bigger than Sligo, it's the well-lit motorway that makes the difference in apparent size.
      Last edited by rathbaner; 23-January-2020, 10:09.
      Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2020.

Comment

Easy to see from the lack of lights on the West Coast, why it is so good for stargazing, especially down in Kerry where I go every summer.

Comment

I can see my house.
          Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
          Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Is Belgium on fire?
            "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

Originally posted by Jenta View Post
              Is Belgium on fire?
              Where TF have you been? Welcome back.

Comment

You must have the Trump thread on ignore! I still dip in and out of that fairly regularly.
                "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

Originally posted by Jenta View Post
                  You must have the Trump thread on ignore! I still dip in and out of that fairly regularly.
                  I just can't take any more of him.

Comment

Originally posted by rathbaner View Post
                    Brightly lit motorway and A road corridors on the approach to big towns and cities distort the apparent size. There's no way Ennis is bigger than Sligo, it's the well-lit motorway that makes the difference in apparent size.
                    The CSO disagree with you.

Ennis pop 25360, area 22.7km
                    Sligo pop 19452, area 15.4km

Motorways are only 36m wide and only lit at the junctions. Ennis is without a doubt bigger than Sligo.
                    Last edited by Wallyman; 23-January-2020, 21:10.

Comment

Originally posted by i_like_cake View Post
                      Click image for larger version Name:	large-satellite-image-photo-of-europe-at-night.jpg Views:	0 Size:	192.4 KB ID:	2592099

I don´t know if zooming in works too well with this image, the original is here.
                      https://www.mapsland.com/maps/europe...e-at-night.jpg

Just offhand the size of the different cities in Ireland must be;
                      Dublin
                      Belfast
                      Cork
                      Derry
                      Limerick
                      Galway
                      Waterford...

whats underneath Lough Neagh? Portadown, Craigavon area....? looks densely populated...

Click image for larger version Name:	Ireland_At Night.jpg Views:	0 Size:	209.2 KB ID:	2592100
                      What border?
                      Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by Wallyman View Post

The CSO disagree with you.

Ennis pop 25360, area 22.7km
                        Sligo pop 19452, area 15.4km

Motorways are only 36m wide and only lit at the junctions. Ennis is without a doubt bigger than Sligo.
                        Wow!. That's an amazing stat. But I'm familiar with both towns and just can't believe that Ennis is bigger. It must be something to do with Sligo town limits not including important suburbs, rather like the way Dooradoyle/Raheen are not part of Limerick City but clearly form part of the city, otherwise why would they have ever been built?.

And the M18 is lit the whole way past Ennis IIRC, as is the N68 and N85 which run the other sides, whereas Sligo has only the N4.

But it is the CSO And I guess we have to believe it.....

But then look at the central belt in Scotland. Dublin has more people than Glasgow and Embra combined but Dublin looks four times smaller. like wee litte Berlin .. hang on, no its definitely motorway streetlighting distorting the size of cities.
                        Last edited by rathbaner; 24-January-2020, 17:28.

Comment

Most of the bright lights around Limerick are bonfires and high jinks from fun loving campers who appreciate the craic etc to be found every day in this locality.
                          Stand up for the Ulcer men

Comment

The Netherlands/Belgum and northern Italy use a heck of a lot of lights
                            "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Working...
                            X