Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Irish General Election 2020: It's Show Time!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Green Party is like a watermelon, green on the outside but red on the inside.

Comment

Living in Limerick and just got a leaflet in the door asking me to vote,in order of choice,Micheál Martin and Michael McGrath!!!
      The early bird catches the worm but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by Jenta View Post

I can't fathom this policy at all. Economically, it's a complete no-brainer for the mid-west and south and, from a sustainability perspective, cars are on the way to becoming a much cleaner form of transport. I admire the Greens for their commitment to an ideology but sometimes they just shoot themselves in the foot.

AS I understand their objection has two legs. Firstly rail should be invested in ahead of roads and secondly it would be better to for the economy and regional development as a whole build a Galway to Wexford/Waterford connection that would intersect with the Dublin-Cork motorway around Cashel. This would create a slightly less motorway connection between Cork and Limerick.

If I were them I'd be advocating for a couple of very high profile public transport projects that support regional development (A Galway-Limerick-Cork Express train with spurs to places like Shannon/Ennis, Cobh, Mallow, Cashel, Ballinasloe etc) would give a vision of a connected west coast acting as an economic counterbalance to Dublin and not having all infrastructure be road based. There should be no reason in the world why somebody should not be able to live in Limerick city and be working in either Galway or Cork with a 2 hour daily commute via train. (I'm not saying this would be everyone's cup of tea but for many it would beat 1.5 hours a day in car). That network could be extended in time to connect out to Tralee, Athlone, Waterford and Sligo.

All of the following should be no more than slightly more than an hour by train from each other
        Cork-Waterford
        Cork-Tralee
        Cork-Limerick
        Limerick-Waterford
        Limerick-Tralee
        Limerick-Galway
        Limerick-Kilkenny
        Kilkenny-Athlone
        Athlone-Sligo

And slightly more than an hour
        Limerick-Athlone
        Galway-Sligo

Most of that (a Kilkenny to Sligo line via Athlone and a Limerick to Athlone line are obliviously brand new so may be longer) should be achieveble by 2030 along with DART underground, extension of the DART to Navan and Cellbridge. The change in spread of economic development and quality of life would be enormous. Charge cars to enter city centres, make buses EVs and expand service hugely in all urban areas.

Comment

Originally posted by tippete7trees View Post
          The day might not be that far off of a SF Taoiseach and a SF first minister NI. I for one want to welcome our new Fenian overlords.
          Maybe in time SF can prove themselves as a party who are capable of putting the good of the people before their own self interest but they are far from it now in my opinion. Mary Lou is a good speaker but would I like to see a SF Taoiseach or a coalition with SF no thanks .

Comment

@ AwayFromHome. What the Greens don't seem to understand is that most of the traffic on the road isn't point to point. It's commuters heading North to Limerick and South to Cork. If you build a link to the M8, then you still have these people clogging up the current 19th century road and the towns along it, meaning that the N20 will still need to be upgraded and these towns will still need to be bypassed. Might as well not waste money on the M8 link and just build the M20 (which is what will be recommended by TII after they've done their analysis). And if you build the M20 you have motorway from Cork to Galway (and Tuam). Its the missing link.

As to your rail idea. What you're proposing would cost huge multiples of the cost of the M20. Tens of billions. You would need to build a completely new line from Charleville to Galway (and probably all the way from Cork). The recently proposed cost of upgrading the line between Cork and Belfast to high speed is €50bn. The 140 mile (similar length) HS2 phase one in the UK will cost around £16bn if it ever gets built.

Your ideas are grand, but there's not a snowballs hope in hell that they get built, especially not by 2030, when you consider the ambition, the cost and the ridiculous planning system we have in this country.

If the M20 does get built, it won't open until around 2028 and that was reactivated 2 years ago.
            Last edited by Wallyman; 31st-January-2020, 14:15.

Comment

I can't fathom this policy at all. Economically, it's a complete no-brainer for the mid-west and south and, from a sustainability perspective, cars are on the way to becoming a much cleaner form of transport. I admire the Greens for their commitment to an ideology but sometimes they just shoot themselves in the foot.

The whole switch to diesel on the back of CO2 data was their baby.

They are well intended but pretty hopeless ultimately.
              Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
              Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

HSR is only economically viable in Ireland if you don't let Irish construction companies anywhere near it.

Here is a statistic about the construction cost per kilometer of high-speed lines (HSL) in France in 2014 (in millions of euros).

Comment

My vote is long gone from Limerick City but I would encourage all who will vote in the city to consider giving the Green Party candidate Brian Leddin a first preference. He'll be familiar to many of the long term posters on the site. He's a decent, committed, intelligent and hard-working guy. Progressive climate action is vital, even on a small scale. He would be an excellent representative for the city in the Dáil.
                  Is/was Brian Leddin a Munsterfans poster?

I'm giving him my #1 by the way. There.
                  "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
                  Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

cars are on the way to becoming a much cleaner form of transport.
                    Cleaner than what?

Comment

Originally posted by Wallyman View Post
                      The Greens are anti the M20. That's going to lose them a lot of votes in Limerick and Cork.

Leddin has a chance, but I don't see him making it. 2 x FF, 1 x FG and more than likely 1 x SF is my prediction.
                      Is the party manifesto against the motorway or just the Walter Mitty head of the party?

A total Yurtman, and I don't mean that in the sense that he is funny. I mean if he had his way we would all be living in Yurt tents under the stars
                      I am the million man.

Comment

Anyone who thinks rail as a regular mode of transport is more economically viable for people in the real world is a bigger dreamer than The Greens

Trains in this country are for two types of people, pensioners and millionaires.
                        I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post

Cleaner than what?
                          Than what they have been. More and more cars are and will be electric, and electricity generation is from more and more renewable sources. In the longer term, hydrogen will replace electric cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
                          Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

Originally posted by blackwarrior View Post

Than what they have been. More and more cars are and will be electric, and electricity generation is from more and more renewable sources. In the longer term, hydrogen will replace electric cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Cars aren't, and never will be, cleaner than Public Transport per person travelling.

Hydrogen makes water vapour, a greenhouse gas. Not as bad as CO​​​​​2​ or Methane, but a greenhouse gas nonetheless.

Comment

That's no longer true Piquet. Hydrogen is only a viable alternative when produced from renewable sources, but the vast, vast majority of hydrogen (about 95%) is currently produced using fossil fuel. Moreover, it's an extremely inefficient process - if the aim is to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, you'd be better off burning petrol or diesel directly than using oil to produce hydrogen to then burn in a road vehicle. In fact, this is even true when the hydrogen is produced from renewable sources - in terms of overall "well to wheel", a BEV will travel further per unit of energy on electricity derived from solar/wind/wave (which accounted for on average one third of electricity demand in Ireland over the course of 2019) than per unit of energy derived from renewably produced hydrogen, if you can access it.

That's before considering the significant infrastructural demands for safely and effectively transporting and storing hydrogen, as it's very hard to stop leaks and equipment becomes brittle over time. EVs even compare well when it comes to refuelling times - it takes about 10 minutes to refill a FCV's hydrogen tank, but it then takes a further 20 minutes for the system to repressurise sufficiently to refill another. So one pump can refuel two cars per hour. Most EVs coming onto the market now will rapid charge to 80% in half an hour or less - at the higher end of the market, the latest offerings from Tesla and Porsche can do it in half that - and multiple charge points can operate simultaneously. If you're one of the majority who are in a position to leave home with a fully charged battery each morning anyway, charging is virtually a non-issue, and if your household is one of the growing number with rooftop solar panels then the more you charge at home (or at work, if there's rooftop solar and a workplace charging is available), the further above the 33% average proportion of zero-emission your mileage rises. For example, once we get to the point of replacing one of our cars, even an old Nissan Leaf with a degraded battery will still enable mrs chips to drive her daily 30km round trip commute on 100% renewable, zero emission electricity.
                              Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Are you both saying the same thing, that hydrogen ain’t all it’s sometimes cracked up to be?
                                "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Working...
                                X