Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Irish General Election 2020: It's Show Time!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I was listening to Martin on the Last Word this evening he is even more out of touch then even Leo. Apparently has no memory about his last time in gubberment.......
    Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Originally posted by McCloud View Post
      Well I was listening to Martin on the Last Word this evening he is even more out of touch then even Leo. Apparently has no memory about his last time in gubberment.......
      Still going to be the next Taoiseach though..........

Comment

Originally posted by AwayFromHome View Post
        I live outside the state and have done for a long time. I don't have any plan to move back. I don't have a vote in the Dail. I am in the very odd situation however where my taxes are an income for the Irish state but I don't have any need of the services of the Irish public sector. This doesn't bother me because I have the benefit of very good public services where I live. When I did live in Ireland I worked in the public sector in a number of different organizations. All of this is context to my view on the election.

The Irish public sector and political system is beyond dysfunctional. SkullinPints has a great list above of absolute grade A f8ck ups and that's just the random recollection of one person. Of course this generates a desire to throw the government out and I think that a government who has done all of that needs to be thrown out for the sake of sanity and democracy, but the really big problem is that the list would not be any different if Fianna Fail or SF or Labour were in charge. The whole system is simply not capable of delivering. Politicians are incapable of holding themselves to account, the civil service and public sector more generally don't have the management capacity to deliver on the range of services required by citizens - this is not neglect like the Tory gov't in the UK, this is just sheer incompetence of individuals and incapacity of systems.

I don't see how this cycle is broken but I think it is really painful to see that the opportunity of the crash has been lost and we are back to a cycle of auction politics between tweedle dum and tweedle dummer. I feel sorry for my family who have to pay for services that will never be provided and for the quality of life impacts that everyone in the country bears on a daily basis as a result. Nothing will be different on February 10th.

It won't change until people actually expect it to. I'm convinced there's a historical, post Imperial legacy in Ireland (and visible in other places like India) where corruption and incompetence are accepted because Government has always been an external imposition. "If they leave us alone, we'll leave them alone" seems to be the folk attitude.

And as long as emigration acts as a release valve for the disaffected, it will go on.
        "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by McCloud View Post
          Id say it was a case of selective amnesia and blaming the "global financial crisis" (FFS) to be fair Cooper did tackle him head on on the fact that we were only one of 3 countries in the world that required a bailout
          "I've got lots of potatos that need peeling and manure that needs shovelling" -M. Burns :_skull__rvmp_by_bad

Comment

Originally posted by SkullinPints View Post

Id say it was a case of selective amnesia and blaming the "global financial crisis" (FFS) to be fair Cooper did tackle him head on on the fact that we were only one of 3 countries in the world that required a bailout
            Well, don't you know that the house of cards wouldn't have fallen down without the global financial crisis...........

Comment

The day might not be that far off of a SF Taoiseach and a SF first minister NI. I for one want to welcome our new Fenian overlords.
              Stand up for the Ulcer men

Comment

God forbid
                "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

My vote is long gone from Limerick City but I would encourage all who will vote in the city to consider giving the Green Party candidate Brian Leddin a first preference. He'll be familiar to many of the long term posters on the site. He's a decent, committed, intelligent and hard-working guy. Progressive climate action is vital, even on a small scale. He would be an excellent representative for the city in the Dáil.
                  "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

The Greens are anti the M20. That's going to lose them a lot of votes in Limerick and Cork.

Leddin has a chance, but I don't see him making it. 2 x FF, 1 x FG and more than likely 1 x SF is my prediction.
                    Last edited by Wallyman; 30th-January-2020, 20:54.

Comment

Who has the best chance of taking the last seat ahead of SF.

Comment

Originally posted by Wallyman View Post

Well, don't you know that the house of cards wouldn't have fallen down without the global financial crisis...........
                        If you didnt know that you may as well commit suicide - to misquote ourformer Dear Leader
                        "I've got lots of potatos that need peeling and manure that needs shovelling" -M. Burns :_skull__rvmp_by_bad

Comment

Originally posted by Jenta View Post
                          My vote is long gone from Limerick City but I would encourage all who will vote in the city to consider giving the Green Party candidate Brian Leddin a first preference. He'll be familiar to many of the long term posters on the site. He's a decent, committed, intelligent and hard-working guy. Progressive climate action is vital, even on a small scale. He would be an excellent representative for the city in the Dáil.
                          Is he related to Joe Leddin?
                          "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Waterfordlad View Post

Possibly a cousin I think.
                            "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

Originally posted by Waterfordlad View Post

Yeah, his cousin. His family has a pretty broad sprectrum in politics. His parents are former independent mayor Kathleen Leddin and former (late) FG mayor Tim Leddin and his (late) uncle Frank was a former Labour mayor.

Comment

Originally posted by Wallyman View Post
                                The Greens are anti the M20. That's going to lose them a lot of votes in Limerick and Cork.
                                I can't fathom this policy at all. Economically, it's a complete no-brainer for the mid-west and south and, from a sustainability perspective, cars are on the way to becoming a much cleaner form of transport. I admire the Greens for their commitment to an ideology but sometimes they just shoot themselves in the foot.

Comment

Working...
                                X