Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Irish General Election 2020: It's Show Time!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Probably because every alternative is even more left wing.

Comment

Originally posted by desert man View Post
      I will be voting for FG. They performed well during Brexit and were calm, measured and practical while also not buckling to the pressure from the British. They also did a decent job during the last 2 terms. The 2 major blots being the board or Irish water and Maria Bailey fiascos. Still, there's no credible alternative.
      • Inability to rein in the HSE expenditure
      • Childrens Hospital Fiasco
      • National Broadband Rollout fiasco
      • Cork Events Centre fiasco
      • Pensions for all as long as you are a politician (immediately) or civil servant at 65 -
        • (But we wont take Apples 13 billion or whatever portion is due to this state )
      • Pensions levy Lies from Noonan (back in 2011 - 1 year was what was said - kept until 2015) - No mention of reimbursing the private pension pots that were raided
      • Almost zealot like avoidance of any state or local involvement in housing construction
      • Insurance Costs that are now affecting all from motorists to businesses closing shop
      • Varadkers glib soundbites - the man cant seem to help himself
      • The PSC card f**k up - Doherty is an absolute idiot
      • I will say Coveney seems to have been the only one who can claim any degree of kudos in the face of a brexit sh!tstorm in UK

"I've got lots of potatos that need peeling and manure that needs shovelling" -M. Burns :_skull__rvmp_by_bad

Comment

Originally posted by SkullinPints View Post
        • Pensions for all as long as you are a politician (immediately) or civil servant at 65 -
          • (But we wont take Apples 13 billion or whatever portion is due to this state )
        • Pensions levy Lies from Noonan (back in 2011 - 1 year was what was said - kept until 2015) - No mention of reimbursing the private pension pots that were raided
        • Almost zealot like avoidance of any state or local involvement in housing construction
        • Insurance Costs that are now affecting all from motorists to businesses closing shop
        • I will say Coveney seems to have been the only one who can claim any degree of kudos in the face of a brexit sh!tstorm in UK
        It’s bloody depressing when you see the list of huge **** ups
        "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Waterfordlad View Post

It’s bloody depressing when you see the list of huge **** ups
          I know ....and stuff I forgot like -
          • Defence Forces resourcing and pay
          • Public Transport infrastructure - LUAS etc
          • Judicial Reforms - stalled
          • Paris Agreement - failure to meet targets and consequential fines
          • Direct Provisioning - litany of issues from planning to allowing people to work
          • Dara Murphy - enough said
          • Maria Bailey - ditto
          • eCars - all cars Electric by 2030 - a policy announcement with no idea how such a target can be met in terms of Electric capacity on network or charging infrastructure across country - disposal of old cars
          • Water - the failure of Irish Water (unless you were a consultant hired by them)
          • SiteServ - cant even recall issue but remember it has an enquiry running
          "I've got lots of potatos that need peeling and manure that needs shovelling" -M. Burns :_skull__rvmp_by_bad

Comment

I live outside the state and have done for a long time. I don't have any plan to move back. I don't have a vote in the Dail. I am in the very odd situation however where my taxes are an income for the Irish state but I don't have any need of the services of the Irish public sector. This doesn't bother me because I have the benefit of very good public services where I live. When I did live in Ireland I worked in the public sector in a number of different organizations. All of this is context to my view on the election.

The Irish public sector and political system is beyond dysfunctional. SkullinPints has a great list above of absolute grade A f8ck ups and that's just the random recollection of one person. Of course this generates a desire to throw the government out and I think that a government who has done all of that needs to be thrown out for the sake of sanity and democracy, but the really big problem is that the list would not be any different if Fianna Fail or SF or Labour were in charge. The whole system is simply not capable of delivering. Politicians are incapable of holding themselves to account, the civil service and public sector more generally don't have the management capacity to deliver on the range of services required by citizens - this is not neglect like the Tory gov't in the UK, this is just sheer incompetence of individuals and incapacity of systems.

I don't see how this cycle is broken but I think it is really painful to see that the opportunity of the crash has been lost and we are back to a cycle of auction politics between tweedle dum and tweedle dummer. I feel sorry for my family who have to pay for services that will never be provided and for the quality of life impacts that everyone in the country bears on a daily basis as a result. Nothing will be different on February 10th.

Comment

Originally posted by AwayFromHome View Post
              I live outside the state and have done for a long time. I don't have any plan to move back. I don't have a vote in the Dail. I am in the very odd situation however where my taxes are an income for the Irish state but I don't have any need of the services of the Irish public sector. This doesn't bother me because I have the benefit of very good public services where I live. When I did live in Ireland I worked in the public sector in a number of different organizations. All of this is context to my view on the election.

The Irish public sector and political system is beyond dysfunctional. SkullinPints has a great list above of absolute grade A f8ck ups and that's just the random recollection of one person. Of course this generates a desire to throw the government out and I think that a government who has done all of that needs to be thrown out for the sake of sanity and democracy, but the really big problem is that the list would not be any different if Fianna Fail or SF or Labour were in charge. The whole system is simply not capable of delivering. Politicians are incapable of holding themselves to account, the civil service and public sector more generally don't have the management capacity to deliver on the range of services required by citizens - this is not neglect like the Tory gov't in the UK, this is just sheer incompetence of individuals and incapacity of systems.

I don't see how this cycle is broken but I think it is really painful to see that the opportunity of the crash has been lost and we are back to a cycle of auction politics between tweedle dum and tweedle dummer. I feel sorry for my family who have to pay for services that will never be provided and for the quality of life impacts that everyone in the country bears on a daily basis as a result. Nothing will be different on February 10th.
              And sadly based on the main parties we have it will not change for the next 100 years........

Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Originally posted by SkullinPints View Post
                You're spot on and I'm far from a FGer. Sad truth is that the only other option is the incompetent AND corrupt FF. It's sad to see we've returned to auction politics of the noughties. If there was a center left party with a chance at governing I'd vote for them. At least FG with varadkar are not socially conservative as well like the cretins in FF.

Who will you be voting for yourself?

Comment

You're spot on and I'm far from a FGer. Sad truth is that the only other option is the incompetent AND corrupt FF. It's sad to see we've returned to auction politics of the noughties. If there was a center left party with a chance at governing I'd vote for them. At least FG with varadkar are not socially conservative as well like the cretins in FF.

Who will you be voting for yourself?
                  I am a centrist and was hoping to give FF another run . But this proposal to give first time buyers loans has me back pedalling fast - so now I really dont know. I have voted all centrist parties over the years FF FG Labour even Green . My own memories from years gone by inhibit an vote for SF (although they have a few v capable politicians including Pearse Eoin De Brion and even MaryLou ) - but the idea they have to report to another body whether true or not still will haunt them - and PBP are reckless imo.

Comment

Sad truth is that the only other option is the incompetent AND corrupt FF.
                    Has it not occurred to you that the reason there's no alternative is that voters like yourself will vote FF/FG no mater how corrupt or incompetent they are? There is literally no depth to which they can sink before you will say Enough?

FF had a fanstastic opportunity from 2009 to weed out corruption and incompetence in their ranks and draft in a whole new set of policies and reinvent the party and distibnguish themselves fom FG. But rather than do that they hunkered down behind Fine Gael hoping to get their hands in the till the next time.

A vote for FF/FG now is will deliver some hue of FF/FG govt and in five years time there will be folks like yourself complaining that there is no alternative to FF/FG. Meanwhile the prospects for our economy are being suffocated by the housing crisis, the health crisis and the concentration of all economic resources on the east coast.

Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2020.

Comment

Unfortunately the alternatives to FF/FG are much further to the left than either of them. So for a centre-right voter, it is impossible to look beyond those two rather unpalatable options, who themselves are on the left of the political spectrum.

Comment

Originally posted by Viigand View Post
                        Unfortunately the alternatives to FF/FG are much further to the left than either of them. So for a centre-right voter, it is impossible to look beyond those two rather unpalatable options, who themselves are on the left of the political spectrum.
                        Neither FG or FF are centre left. Not even close.

In Europe, Kelleher sits with the conservative Renew Europe Group (Crowley sat with the much further right European Conservatives and Reformists).

FGs MEPs sit with the European People's Party, who are centre right Christian Democrats.
                        Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

They are clearly with the wrong groupings then based on their policies.

Comment

Originally posted by rathbaner View Post

Has it not occurred to you that the reason there's no alternative is that voters like yourself will vote FF/FG no mater how corrupt or incompetent they are? There is literally no depth to which they can sink before you will say Enough?

FF had a fanstastic opportunity from 2009 to weed out corruption and incompetence in their ranks and draft in a whole new set of policies and reinvent the party and distibnguish themselves fom FG. But rather than do that they hunkered down behind Fine Gael hoping to get their hands in the till the next time.

A vote for FF/FG now is will deliver some hue of FF/FG govt and in five years time there will be folks like yourself complaining that there is no alternative to FF/FG. Meanwhile the prospects for our economy are being suffocated by the housing crisis, the health crisis and the concentration of all economic resources on the east coast.
                            Yes, it did occur to me. I even swore I would never vote for FG after their mates ended up on the board of Irish water.

Problem is in my constituency the options are nut jobs, parish pumpers, FF or FG. I would vote Social Democrat but there's no candidate.

Comment

I'm seriously considering SF, SD or PbP

I've had enough of FF and FG. I'm hoping a good kicking for both parties might wake them up and get their fingers out of their holes and realise they are dealing with an electorate that will hold them accountable.
                              However that possibly a pipe dream (an electorate that holds politicians accountable)
                              Life is good

Comment

Yes, it did occur to me. I even swore I would never vote for FG after their mates ended up on the board of Irish water.

Problem is in my constituency the options are nut jobs, parish pumpers, FF or FG. I would vote Social Democrat but there's no candidate.
                                then you need to stand for election for the social democrats
                                Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2020.

Comment

Working...
                                X