Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Irish General Election 2020: It's Show Time!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Daithi View Post

where ~5 years of hopefully a productive government and country will have addressed the current key issues of housing & health, while keeping the economy well run & regulated. That would be a good outcome imho.

p.s. not to mention basic things like law & order, not hindering criminal courts, tackling organised crime and not intimidating garda & citizens for your own pet causes , etc etc etc which will all evolve unhindered without the shinners hopefully...
    Are you deluded
    What from the last lets say 20 years of FF or FG governments makes you think they will tackle either of those problems?
    Honestly what gives you confidence they will do so?
    Life is good

Comment

Originally posted by McCloud View Post

I take it your not referring to Fine Fail or Fine Gale who after all have managed to provide us collectively with the current disaster we have in Health and Housing over many years?
      According to the latest figures FGs housing programme is actually starting to work. 21k homes built in 2019. An 18% increase on 2018. It was impossible to ramp up home building instantly, but another increase of the same level is more than likely in 2020 with the amount of housing under construction.

When it comes to the health service, nobody (not even SF) will sort that without sorting out the unions. We have the highest per capita spend on health in Western Europe. Money isn't the issue.

BTW spelling the two parties names like that is seriously juvenile and doesn't help your argument.

Comment

Originally posted by munstershane View Post
        They would be mad to accept the offer
        Well, that hasn't held them back up to now.

Comment

There's IRA graffiti spraypainted all over public amenities in Tralee. The scumbags seem to think they have a mandate now
          When things go wrong, blame McGahan

Comment

Originally posted by B.A. View Post
            There's IRA graffiti spraypainted all over public amenities in Tralee. The scumbags seem to think they have a mandate now
            Hmmm, say I feeling my blood boil at these unlawful bullies. Bad news!!!

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

IRA graffiti has been around all my life

Lets not act like this is a new phenomenon.
              Life is good

Comment

Originally posted by Wallyman View Post

According to the latest figures FGs housing programme is actually starting to work. 21k homes built in 2019. An 18% increase on 2018. It was impossible to ramp up home building instantly, but another increase of the same level is more than likely in 2020 with the amount of housing under construction.

When it comes to the health service, nobody (not even SF) will sort that without sorting out the unions. We have the highest per capita spend on health in Western Europe. Money isn't the issue.

BTW spelling the two parties names like that is seriously juvenile and doesn't help your argument.
                The crash occurred in 08 and FF/FG have been in charge since then 21k built in one year after 10 years that's not ramping anything up that's failing to provide housing for those in need.

No money in the HSE is not the issue it's management is which leads us directly back to the to leaders of FF & FG who were both health ministers and had no impact. Maybe SF will not be able to sort the HSE out I don't know. But I do know that history shows us FF & FG cannot.

Well that's me told off. If those to parties want me to respect them and their members they would seriously want to start addressing the homeless and HSE crises....
                Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

So, B.O., what you think, IRA are even worse than travellers?

Comment

Originally posted by munstershane View Post
                    IRA graffiti has been around all my life

Lets not act like this is a new phenomenon.
                    Believe me, there is an awful lot more of it around here lately.

Comment

Originally posted by tippete7trees View Post

So, B.O., what you think, IRA are even worse than travellers?
                      I've seen eircom chatbots that make more sense than you.

Comment

Originally posted by McCloud View Post

The crash occurred in 08 and FF/FG have been in charge since then 21k built in one year after 10 years that's not ramping anything up that's failing to provide housing for those in need.

No money in the HSE is not the issue it's management is which leads us directly back to the to leaders of FF & FG who were both health ministers and had no impact. Maybe SF will not be able to sort the HSE out I don't know. But I do know that history shows us FF & FG cannot.

Well that's me told off. If those to parties want me to respect them and their members they would seriously want to start addressing the homeless and HSE crises....
                        You seem to forget that the building sector collapsed after the crash and thousands of people working in the sector emigrated. There were unfinished ghost estates all over the country. There still is, according to the CIF, a shortage of around 30k construction workers needed to get up to the number of homes built each year that are needed.
                        However the reason we've got a shortage of housing now is because the economy was turned around by FG, leading to record inward investment, the most people in work ever and people returning home and imigrating to Ireland. Still though we didn't actually run a budget surplus until last year, so the monies were limited. They have though changed laws to tax developers sitting on land, they've sped up the planning process with the Strategic Housing Development rules (leading to 10s of thousands of homes now ready to go to construction) and they've created the LDA to build homes on government owned land.
                        The fact is that as there were practically zero homes being built during the worst years of the crash and a whole industry has had to be resurrected from scratch. That takes time. You can't just click your fingers and have houses magically appear.

Whats needed in the HSE is to have a 24/7 health service, so that if you get sick at the weekend you get the same service you get 9-5 Monday to Friday. The thousands of back office staff sitting on their arses doing nothing from one end of the week to the next need to be sacked. Those underperforming or misbehaving need to be sanctioned rather than continue to get their annual increments (not an issue unique to the health service). To do this you need to put manners on the unions. When FF and FG weren't willing or able to take them on, there's not a snowballs hope in hell that SF will. Unless the unions are dealt with, nothing is going to change.

And just t make it clear, I'm not a member of either FF or FG and have never been affiliated to any party. I am though anybody but SF.
                        Last edited by Wallyman; 15th-February-2020, 19:32.

Comment

What Wallyman says = the facts= 20 20 vision.

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

There's plenty wrong with the health service from consultants to unions to unsackable staff and pointless numbers of executive level management, but a 24/7 service is a pipe dream currently. Just getting to a functional health service would be a start running during week. There may be people sitting around doing f all but you'd still need big investment (or redirect of funds) to go 24/7

to be honest while there's people you'd wonder about in some departments most areas are understaffed compared to private sector in back office

​​​​i work in back office of a hospital and compared to my private sector jobs we have a fraction of the staff to cover the size of the hospital.

I do occasional out of hours work but I work where I do because mainly 9-5 suits my personal circumstances despite the lower salary. I get the impression a lot of people are the same. If they turned around and changed to a 24/7 shift model of some sort id need to be getting paid a lot to stay or I'd go back to private sector

Edit, I work in a voluntary so maybe the HSE hospitals are different but to the general public we're one in the same anyway
                            Last edited by Hugged Rugger; 15th-February-2020, 20:18.
                            "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

I've seen eircom chatbots that make more sense than you.
                              Thanks BO, that explains a few things
                              ​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Wallyman View Post

..........misbehaving need to be sanctioned rather than continue to get their annual increments (not an issue unique to the health service). To do this you need to put manners on the unions. When FF and FG weren't willing or able to take them on, there's not a snowballs hope in hell that SF will. Unless the unions are dealt with, nothing is going to change.

And just t make it clear, I'm not a member of either FF or FG and have never been affiliated to any party. I am though anybody but SF.
                                Sounds easy enough and while I'd largely agree reality is it's just not doable.
                                You cannot just sack people on the basis that they're inefficient or whatever, life and labour law is not that simple.
                                This is what you get in lifetime gov jobs: waste and irresponsibility.
                                Somebody I know working in the HSE introduced a scheme to recover good equipment (orthopaedic beds furniture etc) after the client passed away..........they now had equipment virtually coming out of their ears for the 1st time. Next they were told to hide it all, an inspection was coming from Dublin and if they saw all the gear their funding would be cut.
                                The alternative tried is privatisation and that ends in low pay for staff and costs for patients.
                                Maybe some sort of coop system where staff had an interest in efficiency might work but what that would look like .... ..
                                The other 'unsoluable' problem is the belief that all health issues can be remedied by drugs/surgery when most medical conditions have chronic unhealthy lifestyle at their root. This allow Pharma and Biotech to get the budget by the throat with ever more expensive treatments and colonising the whole issue of health with a never ending pipeline of very expensive interventions.
                                Don't like being negative but cannot see a solution.

Comment

Working...
                                X