Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Irish General Election 2020: It's Show Time!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pretty incredible that a decade on from bankrupting the country FF could be back in power.

As someone who is comfortably now on the outside looking in, health, affordable housing, decentralised services outside Dublin might be the key. Having spent a few days in Limerick A&E in the last few years (as a concerned relative) it's like a scene from a zombie movie set.

Still, I expect the soldiers of destiny to take this one.
    Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugged Rugger View Post

Voters can only vote for whats in front of them. Who do you suggest out of all those we back?
      None. They are all flawed.
      Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
      Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post
        Pretty incredible that a decade on from bankrupting the country FF could be back in power.

As someone who is comfortably now on the outside looking in, health, affordable housing, decentralised services outside Dublin might be the key. Having spent a few days in Limerick A&E in the last few years (as a concerned relative) it's like a scene from a zombie movie set.

Still, I expect the soldiers of destiny to take this one.
        Our destination, once again...
        Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by scotscor View Post

I realise that this is biting, but that's like saying we have no hard left options here because we don't have Mao running. There may be some globally who are further to the right, but in my opinion the current incarnation of FG are as hard right as there has been on the island in the last 35 years and I'm including the PD's in there.
          If you're referring to economics, especially the austerity period started by FF and continued by FG until about 2015, you are probably justified in saying something like that. However, since that time spending has relaxed and on other measures you're wrong: the party was liberal on gay marriage and abortion, elected a gay leader to be taoiseach, it remains very pro-EU, isn't anti-immigration and it wasn't particularly accomodating to the Catholic church during the abuse scandals. Do you actually believe that FG are going into this election on a "hard right" platform?
          "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
          Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

Hard right? There isn’t even a centre right party here never mind hard right. FG purported to be centre right but are really just Fianna Fáil with more liberal social policies.

Comment

I think FG are going to suffer losses in this election. As it stands I think between 10 and 15 of their outgoing td's are not going up for relection.
              name recognition is a big thing in politics even though it shouldn't be , it's hard to see them retaining what they have.
              Nine years in gov and same issues dog the country.in the health service
              Inequality in health care provision, recruitment bans and the never ending trolley waiting lists.
              mismanagement of the contract re the building of the much needed children's hospital. Their
              housing policy too is going to lose them votes.
              I think at this stage 3 weeks out it looks like a FF Gov propped up by some form of FG confidence and supply . But 3 weeks while short is a long time in Irish politics , there will be a few surprises no doubt .

Comment

I’d say FF largest party propped up by a combination of Lab/Green/SocDem rainbow coalition.

Comment

Election fever had already started on Monday. Multiple reports of people hearing Brendan Howlin outside their house
                  "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Viigand View Post
                    I’d say FF largest party propped up by a combination of Lab/Green/SocDem rainbow coalition.
                    You can add in the bastard FF independents as well,
                    Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

My hope is that the good folks of Leinster get rid of Shane Ross.

Comment

Originally posted by Waterfordlad View Post
                        Election fever had already started on Monday. Multiple reports of people hearing Brendan Howlin outside their house
                        Very good!
                        Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by The Last Stand View Post
                          My hope is that the good folks of Leinster get rid of Shane Ross.
                          I'm a constituent of his. There's not a lot to get excited about in Dublin Rathdown aside from a really good Green candidate, but I sincerely look forward to not voting for Shane Ross.
                          "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

Originally posted by blackwarrior View Post

If you're referring to economics, especially the austerity period started by FF and continued by FG until about 2015, you are probably justified in saying something like that. However, since that time spending has relaxed and on other measures you're wrong: the party was liberal on gay marriage and abortion, elected a gay leader to be taoiseach, it remains very pro-EU, isn't anti-immigration and it wasn't particularly accomodating to the Catholic church during the abuse scandals. Do you actually believe that FG are going into this election on a "hard right" platform?

Worth distinguishing between economic and social right wing here. I think FG have become visibly more socially liberal, less Catholic conservative, over the last decade or so.

But when a country with notionally the 4th highest standard of living in the World has the sort of deprivation issues that Ireland sees around homelessness etc, and the Govt isn't intervening, I think it's fair enough to call them right wing.

The Tories in the UK have gone the same way. They're no longer Conservative. They're radical economic right, small staters, but more socially liberal.
                            "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by Waterfordlad View Post
                              He grabbed the leadership when Lab were at the bottom. Since then he's been working his way down.
                              Stand up for the Ulcer men

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post

Worth distinguishing between economic and social right wing here. I think FG have become visibly more socially liberal, less Catholic conservative, over the last decade or so.

But when a country with notionally the 4th highest standard of living in the World has the sort of deprivation issues that Ireland sees around homelessness etc, and the Govt isn't intervening, I think it's fair enough to call them right wing.

The Tories in the UK have gone the same way. They're no longer Conservative. They're radical economic right, small staters, but more socially liberal.
                                Notionally is a key word here. Our GDP is not reality. Apply GNI* and we are way down.

What we do have in our Income tax system is the largest transfers from the well off to the less well off in OECD countries.

In my opinion, a radical re think is needed for housing, childcare and the health system with an acceptance that tax needs to increase and a lot in Irish society will be fixed. This will also reduce the drivers for pay increases.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by The Last Stand; 16-January-2020, 18:53.

Comment

Working...
                                X