A word from our sponsors

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Irish General Election 2020: It's Show Time!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would LOVE to see Cork Limmers and Galway enjoy the public transport abilities of Dublin. Would use it undoubtedly

The Luas and Dart are fantastic, there are many busses, its just the benefit of density of population

I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Viigand View Post
      That’s right yes, no more incremental spending until current levels of spending are utilised in a less wasteful manner. Expenditure for 2020 is about €80 billion and our debt is north of €200bn. But all parties are proposing incremental spending increases, from FG at €11bn to SF at €22bn. I don’t believe any incremental spending would result in improvements to services.
      "Our debt" isn't north of €200bn because of transport expenditure. Particularly given years of underfunding. Does your plan to pick an arbitrary number to stick to include a scrapping of all Transport 2040 initiatives, despite the obvious economic benefits many aspects would bring? Longer luas trams to decrease overcrowding? Badly needed new bus corridors in cities? The m20? Metro north?
      "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

Tipperary vote postponed due to the death of a candidate RIP to the lady.
        Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Shinners our in front in latest poll, God help us all

If they get in I’m off to dear old Blighty or France, might change my name to Watfordlad
          "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Waterfordlad View Post
            Shinners our in front in latest poll, God help us all

If they get in I’m off to dear old Blighty or France, might change my name to Watfordlad
            Even if their polls turned into votes for once they don't have enough candidates to be in any danger of being in government. An outstanding election would have them in the high 20s, maybe 30 seats. But I honestly can't see their 10% FPV from the locals only 9 months ago turning into 20+ % on Saturday. Plus FF/FG have actual vote management strategies and will get transfers to increase their seats. SF won't be as transfer friendly.

Comment

There's no point in over twisting your y-fronts on this election cos no much will change after. The debate is conducted on the premise that politicians have control but especially in a small country like Ireland they have little scope as we are ultimately affected by global dynamics beyond our influence, on the major forces anyway. FF/FG coalition is my guess cos of fear of SF though maybe FF/SF depending on a few things. There is almost no solution to the HSE problems because the true solutions are unenforceable. FG attempts to tweak the 'Market' to address homelessness and rent costs was a delusional catastrophe but suitably chastened we are probably moving in the right direction now. We stole a march, very very cutely, on other undeveloped small countries with our Corporation tax scam and that has been a massive benefit to us, bringing in capital and opportunities for indigenous startups etc and in the short term that gives us economic benefit, assuming the next crash is still over the horizon yet. Plus change............etc.
              Stand up for the Ulcer men

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                I would LOVE to see Cork Limmers and Galway enjoy the public transport abilities of Dublin. Would use it undoubtedly

The Luas and Dart are fantastic, there are many busses, its just the benefit of density of population
                All those cities need are high quality bus services, supported by commuter rail like the Midleton line. Given their size, cycling infrastructure should be the top priority imho.

Unfortunately, decades of low density sprawl in all cities has made luas style systems unviable. Even in Dublin, it doesn't have the system a City of its size should have because of poor planning from the 70s to the 00s.

You can safeguard future routes, but you're talking 30 years before they're a realistic proposition, and that's only if development patterns are planned to support it, which is a big if.
                "There are probably more annoying things than being hectored about African development by a wealthy Irish rock star in a cowboy hat, but I can't think of one at the moment"

Paul Theroux

Comment

Originally posted by Viigand View Post
                  Why is there no motorway between the second and third largest cities in the country. The road from Limerick to Cork is a joke.
                  I've always found it interesting the outcry over the lack of a motorway between Cork and Limerick, but nothing is ever mentioned of the lack of a direct rail link. If anyone was over from the continent, that rather than the lack of a motorway is what would bemuse them.
                  "There are probably more annoying things than being hectored about African development by a wealthy Irish rock star in a cowboy hat, but I can't think of one at the moment"

Paul Theroux

Comment

So SF riding high in the polls , cant understand it myself bar complete apathy with ff fg ? , anyone want to explain why they are planning on voting SF or are the polls just that a snapshot in time that may not be seen in seat numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post

Maybe I'm wrong but I think someone proposed a light rail for Limerick in the late 80's or 90's and he was laughed at. Thinking now it would have been brilliant as you have three lines that serve the city well with the Cement, Ennis and Limerick Junction lines.
                      He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is.

Comment

Originally posted by RED 49 View Post
                        So SF riding high in the polls , cant understand it myself bar complete apathy with ff fg ? , anyone want to explain why they are planning on voting SF or are the polls just that a snapshot in time that may not be seen in seat numbers
                        It seems to be the pension age issue.

For anyone aged under 40, who'll be working until they're 70+ to avoid complete collapse of social structures, it should be infuriating. It's propping up a pyramid scheme that we're at the bottom of.

Paul Theroux

Comment

Originally posted by RED 49 View Post
                          They are the only party bucking the status quo and that gives hope to a younger generation who look at FF and Tweedledee and feel depressed.

Comment

As a voter who has often voted for the tweedle-Dxx's, I totally understand the attraction to Sinn Fein (even if it's only the mid-20s lads). They are gradually coming in from the cold, and they are looking at touchdown not too far from left of centre.

I won't vote for them for two reasons. First is economic - I don't accept their funding proposals buried at the back of their manifesto can be successful; secondly I'm old enough to need some acknowledgment from them of their shadowy past.

But they will be in government before 2030. And that's OK with me. But I won't vote for them.
                            "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
                            Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

I don't think SF are that stupid that they'd try to implement the further reaches of their economic policies. But, they are demon negotiators. Take FF, in the height of the crash, they folded on the issue of honouring bond holders senior debt, which then rendered Ireland as powerless beggars at the ECB. If we'd told those bond holders to go to fcuk, after a few rounds of ECB crying the sky was coming down, they would have made us an offer of support that we couldn't refuse. In fact several leading global economists said as much after. The risk of a global contagion and meltdown would have meant compromising with us was more attractive than a full global meltdown. You need nerves for that sort of negotiating and FF or FG don't have it. They're comfy anyway.

Comment

SF's current position is a symptom of FF and FGs generations of failure as much as anything. It's only really surprising that it's taken this long for a third party to make a serious push - a reflection of the even greater long term failure of the Irish Labour Party.

It's been 22 years since the GFA was signed. Hume is 83 and suffering from dementia, Trimble is 75 and in the House of Lords, Paisley and McGuinness are dead, and even Adams is finally off the scene.

To a lot of people the hunger strikes and the mainland bombing campaigns are no more a part of their political thinking than the Civil War or the Easter Rising. The IRA has been on ceasefire for nearly a quarter of a century.

There's been a generational transition, and within a decade SFs ties to the PIRA will seem no more relevant than FF/FGs Civil War politics.
                                "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Working...
                                X