Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Irish General Election 2020: It's Show Time!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Public transport in Ireland doesn’t work.

Comment

Because we prefer to build roads.

Comment

Because we are brilliant at squandering money. Health Service, Children’s Hospital...throwing more of the taxpayers hard earned money at these things isn’t the answer.

Comment

I use the luas to commute every day and it works just fine.
          "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

We seem to be able to build roads, bridges etc. on time and within budget - apart that is, when the Kerry Slug or some such intervenes.

Why? Because we have built up the expertise over numerous projects over the years. The job is specced out properly to begin with and the Project is managed rigourously.

The problem is that we have built too many roads.

Why, for instance, is there a Motorway to Waterford and another one to Wexford?

Comment

I can’t get to Ballsbridge from Heuston on the Luas. I can’t get from the airport to the city centre on the Luas. Any time I’m in Dublin for work I use taxis. Any time I am in London or NYC I use public transport. Dublin is a disaster for public transport, and the rest of the country is worse.

Comment

Why is there no motorway between the second and third largest cities in the country. The road from Limerick to Cork is a joke.

Comment

I get the green agenda but we are a small country in area compared to others.
                  it surely makes sense to have decent safe motorways between our major cities.
                  Its safer for travellers and more economical fuel wise.
                  as for public transport yes it works well but there is not enough of it .
                  Proper planning is needed .
                  in London for instance they introduced congestion charging for cars in certain areas but first did traffic surveys and invested in extra bus services etc firstly in those areas allied to ongoing investment in underground etc.
                  people still need to get from point a to point b , if you want them to get out of their cars and use public transport then it has to be efficient reliable and available.

Comment

Originally posted by Viigand View Post
                    I can’t get to Ballsbridge from Heuston on the Luas. I can’t get from the airport to the city centre on the Luas. Any time I’m in Dublin for work I use taxis. Any time I am in London or NYC I use public transport. Dublin is a disaster for public transport, and the rest of the country is worse.
                    And your solution to these issues is to spend less money on public transport?
                    "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

You can get the Luas to Amiens St and the Dart to Lansdowne Rd within walking distance of Ballsbridge.

The Luas into town and any of several buses to Ballsbridge would do as well.

There are numerous buses from Heuston to the Airport.

Comment

Originally posted by Jenta View Post

And your solution to these issues is to spend less money on public transport?
                        Any additional money taken from taxpayers will only be squandered so no, I wouldn’t be in favour of giving any more money to the government to spend. Particularly where we already have north of 200 billion of debt.

Comment

Any additional money taken from taxpayers will only be squandered so no, I wouldn’t be in favour of giving any more money to the government to spend. Particularly where we already have north of 200 billion of debt.
                          Riiiiight. So no more money on public transport, ever. And this is your position despite your admiration for the public transport systems of london and New York which, while I'm not an expert in the field, probably cost a lot more than the luas and dart.

Comment

That’s right yes, no more incremental spending until current levels of spending are utilised in a less wasteful manner. Expenditure for 2020 is about €80 billion and our debt is north of €200bn. But all parties are proposing incremental spending increases, from FG at €11bn to SF at €22bn. I don’t believe any incremental spending would result in improvements to services.

Comment

That’s right yes, no more incremental spending until current levels of spending are utilised in a less wasteful manner. Expenditure for 2020 is about €80 billion and our debt is north of €200bn. But all parties are proposing incremental spending increases, from FG at €11bn to SF at €22bn. I don’t believe any incremental spending would result in improvements to services.
                              I'd have to agree with you considering the current government and its supporters spending of taxes payers money.....
                              Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Wahhhhh. Dublin's public transport system is good, its not great and can be a lot better but its good. It would be a lot better if there were less private cars. Heuston to ballsbridge is 36min by public transport or 33 min by car. Public transport works if you first accept that it can work and look at the options. It wont go door to door you will have to change and may have to change modes.You also may have to use buses. Which for some is an awful thing altogether.
                                Seven social sins: politics without principles, wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, and worship without sacrifice

Comment

Working...
                                X