No announcement yet.

Its been a ****e World Cup - Discuss please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This waiting for the jap jock game, go ahead, is the most exciting thing this year...
    He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

Some of my family travelled over for the first 3 Irish games and loved the whole experience.
      they said the Japanese people were so welcoming etc. In a city of 38 million ,the rugby world cup wasnt as visible as it would be in say a city like London or Paris so called strongholds of rugby.
      apart from the odd pool game there has been little unexpected bar the Uruguay Fiji result and our defeat to Japan.
      the cancelling of games is a major disappointment but hopefully from the 1/4 finals on we get to see the tournament we had hoped for.

Comment

Must admit I haven't watched a huge amount of this RWC aside from Ireland. And what I've seen I haven't been that impressed with - clearly most nations struggling with the heat and humidity. March times also a complete balls.

Having said that I enjoyed Uruguay winning the other week.
        Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Any news lads?
          He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

No word yet on Japan v Scotland. USA v Tonga and Wales v Uruguay to go ahead.
            Tis but a scratch.

Comment

It's on!

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...yphoon-hagibis

Scotland’s must-win World Cup game against the hosts Japan – “the biggest match of our careers” – will go ahead, official tournament broadcasters have reported, after organisers inspected the stadium on Sunday morning to assess the damage caused by Typhoon Hagibis.

The storm, the biggest to hit Japan’s capital in 61 years, shut down the city’s transport system and closed the two international airports. It had forced the cancellation of two Saturday matches, England’s group decider against France in Yokohama and New Zealand’s meeting with Italy in Toyota. Namibia’s match against Canada in Kamaishi was called off on safety grounds early on Sunday but Wales versus Uruguay and USA’s game with Tonga were given the green light by the tournament organisers.

Scottish Rugby were considering taking legal action if the match with Japan had been called off and not rescheduled. World Rugby officials visited the International Stadium in Yokohama, which has attracted two crowds of more than 63,000 this tournament, at 6am local time and were under pressure to give the go-ahead for a match that will determined the eighth quarter-finalists. Scotland need to win and deny Japan a bonus point to claim it.

Ireland had guaranteed their progress on Saturday with a bonus-point victory over Samoa. A Japan win would take the hosts back to the top of the group and give them a quarter-final against South Africa.

Before inspecting the conditions for the Japan v Scotland game, World Cup organisers released a statement on the other Sunday games. It read: “World Rugby and the Japan Rugby 2019 Organising Committee have announced that today’s Rugby World Cup 2019 Pool C match between USA and Tonga at Hanazono (6.45am BST), and Rugby World Cup 2019 Pool D match between Wales and Uruguay at Kumamoto (9.15am BST) will go ahead as scheduled. The decision was taken following an assessment of the venue and associated infrastructure this morning in partnership with the respective host cities. World Rugby and the Japan Rugby 2019 Organising Committee would like to thank everyone involved in getting the matches on.”

A statement on the Namibia v Canada game read: “Kamaishi is situated in a highly mountainous area, including mountains directly behind the main stand of the stadium. There have been landslides and flooding in the vicinity of the stadium and along access roads to the venue following torrential rain throughout the night. The safety of all involved in Rugby World Cup 2019 is our primary consideration and fans are advised not to travel to Kamaishi or the venue, which will be closed.”
              Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Have to say that the nature of the contest between Japan and Scotland today - together with the news that the Canada squad, having had their last game cancelled due to the typhoon, volunteered to help with the relief effort - has somewhat softened my jaundiced attitude towards this RWC. Not that I think it absolves the organisers of their poor decision making, but it has represented something positive coming out of the occasion.
                Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by mr chips View Post
                  Have to say that the nature of the contest between Japan and Scotland today - together with the news that the Canada squad, having had their last game cancelled due to the typhoon, volunteered to help with the relief effort - has somewhat softened my jaundiced attitude towards this RWC. Not that I think it absolves the organisers of their poor decision making, but it has represented something positive coming out of the occasion.
                  Toulouse 24 degrees today
                  Marseille the same with sunshine
                  Paris was 26 degrees

Just have a think about that and which cafe in a square you'll frequent before our next pool match in a RWC. Fly home and get a weeks work done, camp in a camper, follow the team around etc.

Over and back eminently doable.

Tres bien
                  I am the million man.

Comment

RWC credibility certainly took a blow over a number of things. Small squad size permitted, poor decisions over roof closed or open, lack of a proper plan b in the event of a storm (moving a game 14 miles is not a credible back up plan) and poor pitch conditions in many venues.

Comment

Originally posted by Major TNT View Post
                      RWC credibility certainly took a blow over a number of things. Small squad size permitted, poor decisions over roof closed or open, lack of a proper plan b in the event of a storm (moving a game 14 miles is not a credible back up plan) and poor pitch conditions in many venues.
                      Yeah but tbf, the game has also been enhanced because of this RWC:

- a better type of rugby is being rewarded i.e running, attacking, heads up rugby e.g. Japan v Scotland, yesterday = classic

- slowly eliminating the high, late & dangerous hits

- use of the tmo is good

- Japan - the first time iirc a '2nd tier' side has won it's pool outright, unbeaten, playing absolutely fantastic rugby & who knows from here....

- extending the reach of the game

- bringing a match to the new stadium built where the typhoon/ nuclear disaster wiped the town . I think it was Uruguay v Canada. That was pretty special.

I think in the round, it's actually been a really good RWC to date. But obviously, just my opinion & at this remove.
                      Last edited by Daithi; 14th-October-2019, 19:48.

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

Question: If (and it’s a BIG if) we beat the ABs, will it still be a ****e World Cup?
                        "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

For the Kiwis, yea...

Comment

Originally posted by Waterfordlad View Post
                            Question: If (and it’s a BIG if) we beat the ABs, will it still be a ****e World Cup?
                            Follow on

If one of the teams with a game less played wins the cup will it be with an asterisk in people's minds?

I wonder what the likelihood of the sides who didn't play the final weekend of the pools all go through?
                            I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                              Follow on

If one of the teams with a game less played wins the cup will it be with an asterisk in people's minds?

I wonder what the likelihood of the sides who didn't play the final weekend of the pools all go through?
                              Yeah, that is undoubtedly a big issue. The milk is spilt now tho!!

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

im torn on the tmo's. while no one wants trys to be awarded/disallowed incorrectly, im finding the joy of a try is diminished as so many go to tmo i wont get excited till its awarded at which time the "YEEEEESSSS TRRRRRRYYYYYYYY" exuberance has subsided
                                "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

Working...
                                X