Its been a ****e World Cup - Discuss please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its been a ****e World Cup - Discuss please

I cannot put my finger on why, it just does not seem to have the heart and romance of previous RWCs, granted we've been spoiled with some truly stunning competitions.

I just think on the whole its been a big bucket of meh, in a land that doesn't seem to know or care its going on. Matches in steam rooms, matches liable to be called off due to an incoming typhoon. Dicey enough refereeing decisions (on another thread to be fair). Matches on at a **** time for irish viewers (not so many games on before work like)

It may as well have been held on the moon, the expat contingent in europe, america, auz, NZ or SA would give it a bit more oomph. What paddies live in Japan? Brits, other top tier nation citizens?

Just been a disappointment to me, am I alone?
    I am the million man.

Ah I dunno - it's been nice for me to see the way the Japanese supporters at the games are taking the competition to their hearts and getting rewarded by their team's performances thus far. Makes no odds to me if there's a wider awareness/buy-in to the occasion in the rest of Japan as I'm not there anyway! Isn't there always annoyance about refereeing standards and decisions? I'm not dismissing that, and of course I'd much rather there wasn't - just saying that for me this competition doesn't feel especially worse than any others this century. In terms of the number of red cards we've seen, I've no issue with the change in tackle laws being enforced to protect player's heads. Of course I'd rather watch a game in the afternoon or evening, and the time of games doesn't suit the majority of the rugby world (Europe & South Africa). but when it's held in Australia or New Zealand the times are even worse, and at least these days we have the benefit of +1 channels or skyplussing for ease of "as live" viewing.

Maybe it's the underwhelming performances by Ireland to date? There's been so much talk about how this time around we have the best strength in depth we've ever had, the best preparation, the meticulous planning etc. But if the wheels haven't actually come off the Joebus yet, to my eyes they've been looking wonky for a while now. In comparison with previous RWCs, I have a bit less of a feeling of hope in the face of all the odds, more a sense of acceptance/resignation about our chances of making a semi-final, let alone winning the feckin thing. Of course I'll be delighted in any success we have, especially anything above & beyond our record to date, but I'm not invested in it the way I am with games involving Munster. But then that's generally the case anyway.
    Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by mr chips View Post
      Ah I dunno - it's been nice for me to see the way the Japanese supporters at the games are taking the competition to their hearts and getting rewarded by their team's performances thus far. Makes no odds to me if there's a wider awareness/buy-in to the occasion in the rest of Japan as I'm not there anyway! Isn't there always annoyance about refereeing standards and decisions? I'm not dismissing that, and of course I'd much rather there wasn't - just saying that for me this competition doesn't feel especially worse than any others this century. In terms of the number of red cards we've seen, I've no issue with the change in tackle laws being enforced to protect player's heads. Of course I'd rather watch a game in the afternoon or evening, and the time of games doesn't suit the majority of the rugby world (Europe & South Africa). but when it's held in Australia or New Zealand the times are even worse, and at least these days we have the benefit of +1 channels or skyplussing for ease of "as live" viewing.

Maybe it's the underwhelming performances by Ireland to date? There's been so much talk about how this time around we have the best strength in depth we've ever had, the best preparation, the meticulous planning etc. But if the wheels haven't actually come off the Joebus yet, to my eyes they've been looking wonky for a while now. In comparison with previous RWCs, I have a bit less of a feeling of hope in the face of all the odds, more a sense of acceptance/resignation about our chances of making a semi-final, let alone winning the feckin thing. Of course I'll be delighted in any success we have, especially anything above & beyond our record to date, but I'm not invested in it the way I am with games involving Munster. But then that's generally the case anyway.
      I think it's a couple of things

Firstly, I don't know that rugby is as beloved in Japan as it is in France England NZ and the grounds seem chock-a-block with excited locals at an event rather than die hard rugby supporters

Secondly, I know one person whose travelled to it, just one.

Thirdly, the climate has had an enormous impact on the competition at large. Not for the better imo. The lads would do better in snow than in humidity perhaps

Fourthly, I'm just non plussed. The competition took over England and NZ when they held it. This one feels weird and out of place in a land that mostly doesn't seem to have a clue. I think the Qatari soccer world cup might seem the same.

It feels like money picked the venue. Not rugby picking the venue. May as well hold it in Brasil in 8 years time kinda feeling
      I am the million man.

Comment

I think it's been great.
        Commemorate Nevin Spence here -
        http://www.mycharity.ie/event/munste..._nevin_spence/

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
          I cannot put my finger on why, it just does not seem to have the heart and romance of previous RWCs, granted we've been spoiled with some truly stunning competitions.

I just think on the whole its been a big bucket of meh, in a land that doesn't seem to know or care its going on. Matches in steam rooms, matches liable to be called off due to an incoming typhoon. Dicey enough refereeing decisions (on another thread to be fair). Matches on at a **** time for irish viewers (not so many games on before work like)

It may as well have been held on the moon, the expat contingent in europe, america, auz, NZ or SA would give it a bit more oomph. What paddies live in Japan? Brits, other top tier nation citizens?

Just been a disappointment to me, am I alone?
          Have you been up at the brook again Cb?
          Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Wasn't the purpose of holding it in Japan to take the competition out of the countries in which it has stronger traditions? I think it's reasonable to want to grow the game and showcase it in places where it hasn't been as big a part of the sporting culture - although of course that can also be done with touring sides rather than basing our biggest competition away from the vast bulk of supporters. Perhaps that aim could have been achieved with even greater impact this time around by holding a couple of pool games or a quarter-final in another Asian country relatively nearby, e.g. South Korea or even Taiwan, similar to what has been done previously.
            Aside from ourselves, I'd love for Argentina to host it after France. Brings it back to the southern hemisphere, to a country which has a history and tradition of the game but which could definitely benefit in terms of its development. There's a large population to whom local TV rights can be sold, plus I think there'd be an insanely good atmosphere.
            Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie Brown View Post
              I think it's been great.
              Care to expand, Jackie?
              Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                I think it's a couple of things

Firstly, I don't know that rugby is as beloved in Japan as it is in France England NZ and the grounds seem chock-a-block with excited locals at an event rather than die hard rugby supporters

Secondly, I know one person whose travelled to it, just one.

Thirdly, the climate has had an enormous impact on the competition at large. Not for the better imo. The lads would do better in snow than in humidity perhaps

Fourthly, I'm just non plussed. The competition took over England and NZ when they held it. This one feels weird and out of place in a land that mostly doesn't seem to have a clue. I think the Qatari soccer world cup might seem the same.

It feels like money picked the venue. Not rugby picking the venue. May as well hold it in Brasil in 8 years time kinda feeling
                And Sweden maybe for 2031
                Gwan Joe!!

Comment

I haven't enjoyed it as much as other World Cups, to be honest. The match times haven't helped so I've missed far more games than I usually would.

I think the Japanese have been enthusiastic in their support but it hasn't been as exciting for me as a pundit. Maybe having the 2015 one on our doorstep spoiled me
                  "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

There are elements of it I don’t like.

The refereeing. Plenty has been said about that.

The scheduling of fixtures has been a disgrace. It’s desperately unfair to have second tier teams who are part time players putting their lives on hold to represent their country and only get 3/4 days rest. As a fan I wouldn’t care if there are no mid week games.

Match times make it difficult for the games to build an atmosphere but it’s a global game and that’s how it falls.

The sides I do like

Im travelling to Fukuoka for the Samoa game and spending a week travelling Japan before going to two QFs in tokyo and then home. So it’s been a great excuse to visit a country that I probably wouldn’t otherwise see.

Its a brave move by world rugby to give a Tier 2 nation the competition, but if any second tier nation
                    deserves it then Japan do and they have proven that on the field. The biggest aspect of world rugby that needs development is the amount of teams that compete at the top level and if this World Cup means japan develop into a consistent Tier1 nation then its worth it.

The group stages were also going to be fairly rudimentary, the shock of Japan and Uruguay winning was the only eyebrow raiser but the competition starts in earnest the weekend after next.

6 of the 8 quarter finalists will be capable of winning the competition and i honestly think all the semi
                    finalists will be capable of winning the competition, that’s 7 games of high quality test rugby with the best players in the world where we will see how close the NH and SH actually are.
                    Last edited by lawrence; 8th-October-2019, 00:21.

Comment

It's been super over here, the Japanese win over Ireland has all the locals excited.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by lawrence View Post
                        There are elements of it I don’t like.

The refereeing. Plenty has been said about that.

The scheduling of fixtures has been a disgrace. It’s desperately unfair to have second tier teams who are part time players putting their lives on hold to represent their country and only get 3/4 days rest. As a fan I wouldn’t care if there are no mid week games.

Match times make it difficult for the games to build an atmosphere but it’s a global game and that’s how it falls.
                        None of that is unique to this world cup. This is the first year that the tier 1 teams are also getting short turnaround times, so they're trying to be a bit fairer. Unless you make the tournament even longer than it is, there's no other way to get the games in. And refereeing is always an issue, not just at world cups.

For me the scheduling is an issue, but that was no different back in 2011. I only get to see the weekend games and even then not all of the Saturday morning games, so it doesn't feel like such a big event. Most of the games being behind a paywall doesn't help either,
                        I'm sure things will ramp up when it comes to the knock out stages though.

Comment

This thread is filled with so much old fartery it could be an air sample from Buzz Aldrin's spacesuit. Everything was always better in the olden days.

Comment

[QUOTE=HenryFitz;n2579080]This thread is filled with so much old fartery it could be an air sample from Buzz Aldrin's spacesuit. Everything was always better in the olden days.[/QUOTE

You don't like the thread, don't read it, and you are not helping by adding your own inane comments!

Comment

Originally posted by HenryFitz View Post
                              This thread is filled with so much old fartery it could be an air sample from Buzz Aldrin's spacesuit. Everything was always better in the olden days.
                              I'm only 34 and this is without doubt the least covered or exciting RWC I can remember. Do I qualify for 'the olden days?' :)

It actually feels like the world cup from the olden days, lads heading off in a steamship, scant coverage on terrestrial TV. Messages back from the land far away, nobody travelling to it because it was so expensive.

I am the million man.

Comment

Working...
                              X