2 factor authentication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 factor authentication

Everyone now using mobile banking must be aware of the 2 factor authentication process you have to use from the 14th.
    Just went to set it up on my phone and wouldn't let me, so rang AIB, it seems if you live abroad and have a "foreign" telephone number they can't send you an SMS with the code. They instructed me to set it up on my laptop using my card reader, did that, my phone is still asking me to set up using SMS.

A question for all the IT guys on here, Is it impossible for ye to set up things using some common sense? Between Microsoft verification, verified by visa, and now this I am ready to skin any one working in banking IT alive.
    We come across the phrase "think outside the box" all the time, I'm surprized if IT muppets even know what a box is.

I'm all for additional security measures regarding my online banking, but this is downright stupid, you can send an SMS to the UK but not anywhere else, so I am now considering after 40 years with AIB. closing my accounts and moving to a truely online bank that works.
    Any suggestions as to a good one will be appreciated.
    psychoanalysis is wasted on the Irish; Sigmund Freud

Every software developer's favourite question - Can you not just......?
    Last edited by B.A.; 15th-September-2019, 15:23.
    When things go wrong, blame McGahan

Comment

I have a US bank account, legacy of when I lived in Boston, and I had that issue with Bank of America and had same issue. I was able to get a Safe Pass device, size and thickness of a credit card. It gives me a different unique code ever time I want to buy something on line. Works fine when you don’t have options of an SMS in the Bank’s country
      "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Originally posted by treatycity1 View Post
        Everyone now using mobile banking must be aware of the 2 factor authentication process you have to use from the 14th.
        Just went to set it up on my phone and wouldn't let me, so rang AIB, it seems if you live abroad and have a "foreign" telephone number they can't send you an SMS with the code. They instructed me to set it up on my laptop using my card reader, did that, my phone is still asking me to set up using SMS.

A question for all the IT guys on here, Is it impossible for ye to set up things using some common sense? Between Microsoft verification, verified by visa, and now this I am ready to skin any one working in banking IT alive.
        We come across the phrase "think outside the box" all the time, I'm surprized if IT muppets even know what a box is.

I'm all for additional security measures regarding my online banking, but this is downright stupid, you can send an SMS to the UK but not anywhere else, so I am now considering after 40 years with AIB. closing my accounts and moving to a truely online bank that works.
        Any suggestions as to a good one will be appreciated.
        Apparently N26 is worth a look.
        Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Originally posted by treatycity1 View Post
          Is it impossible for ye to set up things using some common sense?
          Yes

"Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

Originally posted by Hugged Rugger View Post

Yes
            Thought so, but just wanted calarification.

Amazed they can put their shoes on in the morning never mind put one foot in front of the other:-)

psychoanalysis is wasted on the Irish; Sigmund Freud

Comment

I get a text to my Irish mobile from a financial institution on another continent for 2 factor authentication during log in online to my account. So one might presume it's not that they cannot set it up, rather they just haven't.

Comment

IT people in general are separated from the real world.

A genuine conversation I had recently with our IT people at work.

PK: Hello, I'm locked out from the e-mail system.

IT: person: Can you send me an e-mail, please?

PK: I'm locked out of the system.

IT person: Oh.

Comment

Were not all that bad. It's bad project managers and poor system specification. Definitely not our fault anyway. Common sense is someone else's job
                  "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

Twilio is pretty simple to use and would cost very little given the number of customers affected. Presumably this is a policy problem rather than an IT problem.

Comment

This is an EU directive, so any other european bank you move too will also require 2FA.

Comment

Originally posted by ick View Post
                        This is an EU directive, so any other european bank you move too will also require 2FA.
                        Irexit Now!
                        Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	wi-usertesting-01.gif
Views:	67
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	2576767

Comment

Firstly, as pointed out, it's not an IT thing, it's an EU mandate to have 2FA. Secondly, the bank developing the app would (like nearly every other company) have a product owner or manager who tells the developers what to develop. They, and they alone, are responsible for the product. And guess what, they work with and for the business!

Now that I've chastised you for getting on the poor IT lads back, your best bet is to contact AIB, and get hold of the product owner / manger for the app and ask him or her to get it on the product backlog pronto. If he or she says anything negative, repeatedly shout "feedback loop" down the phone to them.

PS I have Irish, UK and Portuguese accounts. All send 2FA to my UK phone number, so it's absolutely technically possible.
                            Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Ok I had the displeasure of this today. I'm not sure if it will resolve your issue but after updating the app, deleting the app, reinstalling and still not being able to register the phone the way it was telling me online, I messaged them on twitter.

I tried the card reader registration but all that allowed me do was log in online using a card reader every time, no thanks.

While waiting for reply I cleared the cache and data in android settings and finally got the app to trigger the correct process.

​​​​​​​Eventually after multiple timeouts on browser or mobile the whole thing was done
                              Last edited by Hugged Rugger; 19th-September-2019, 17:39.

Comment

Working...
                              X