Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Death of the rural pub?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Death of the rural pub?



    Steep decline in trade hits rural pubs

    08:35 Friday February 23rd 2007


    New figures reveal that rural pubs are closing at a rate of one a day.
    Four hundred and forty fewer pub licences were issued or renewed last year compared to 2005, according to figures from the Revenue Commissioners.


    The biggest fall in the pub trade is in the Border, Midlands and Western counties, were 227 pub licences were lost last year, according to these figures published in today's Irish Times.


    Kerry, Cork, Clare and Limerick are also being hit hard, with licences down by 130.


    The capital however has fare much better with Dublin losing just 10 licences.


    The fall in popularity of the rural pub has been blamed on the smoking ban and the introduction of random breath testing.


    Vintners' groups have now killed on the government to give rates relief to rural pubs, and reductions in vehicle registration tax for publicans who provide transport to their customers.


    Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

    #2

    Originally posted by McCloud

    Steep decline in trade hits rural pubs

    08:35 Friday February 23rd 2007


    New figures reveal that rural pubs are closing at a rate of one a day.
    Four hundred and forty fewer pub licences were issued or renewed last year compared to 2005, according to figures from the Revenue Commissioners.


    The biggest fall in the pub trade is in the Border, Midlands and Western counties, were 227 pub licences were lost last year, according to these figures published in today's Irish Times.


    Kerry, Cork, Clare and Limerick are also being hit hard, with licences down by 130.


    The capital however has fare much better with Dublin losing just 10 licences.


    The fall in popularity of the rural pub has been blamed on the smoking ban and the introduction of random breath testing.


    Vintners' groups have now @@@@SPAN style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0);">killed @@@@/SPAN>on the government to give rates relief to rural pubs, and reductions in vehicle registration tax for publicans who provide transport to their customers.

    [img]smileys/confused.gif[/img] The rural publicans should run mini buses to transport their pissed customers.

    Either that or arrange a designated driver.

    Comment


      #3
      Maybe, the price of drink has something to do with it as well. I am a smoker and the ban doesn't deter me from going to the pub. As for the random breath testing "Was it OK to serve a person who was tanked the gills, had their car outside the pub and intended on driving it home before random breath testing ?" Now an extra 15c on the pint of black stuff may calm the frequency of my visits.
      "Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too ?" - Douglas Adams

      Comment


        #4
        Prices are too high.

        the pubs are struggling, and they put the prices up. Madness.

        Comment


          #5
          are the licenses not being bought up and re-incarnated as new super-pubs in the big towns and cities??

          In any case, it is no tragedy that the drink culture in rural ireland is waning some bit.

          Comment


            #6
            Its very real and quite sad though, I've particular noticed it when ive been back visiting, I've lived in Wales 4 years now and the local town (castletownbere) is very different to when i left. I think theres five or six less pubs there now and they're noticeably quiter, at Christmas time i couldnt beleive how quite they were compared to a few years back. I think cost of beer has a lot to do with it also mind but it is a big pity. Its the small towns its affecting, not the cities really

            Comment


              #7
              Seems they are digging their own grave. I always boggles me how Nestors on O'Connell Street can do 3 yo' yo's a drink 7 days a week and the rest can't.
              "Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too ?" - Douglas Adams

              Comment


                #8

                Originally posted by Kerry-Exile
                Its very real and quite sad though, I've particular noticed it when ive been back visiting, I've lived in Wales 4 years now and the local town (castletownbere) is very different to when i left. I think theres five or six less pubs there now and they're noticeably quiter, at Christmas time i couldnt beleive how quite they were compared to a few years back. I think cost of beer has a lot to do with it also mind but it is a big pity.@@@@SPAN style="font-weight: bold;"> Its the small towns its affecting, not the cities really@@@@/SPAN>
                I live in Limerick city centre and have noticed a sharp drop in the numbers going to pubs in the last two years (except for the few super-pubs). I don't think it's a bad thing though.

                Comment


                  #9


                  Originally posted by beir bua
                  Originally posted by Kerry-Exile
                  Its very real and quite sad though, I've particular noticed it when ive been back visiting, I've lived in Wales 4 years now and the local town (castletownbere) is very different to when i left. I think theres five or six less pubs there now and they're noticeably quiter, at Christmas time i couldnt beleive how quite they were compared to a few years back. I think cost of beer has a lot to do with it also mind but it is a big pity.@@@@SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold"> Its the small towns its affecting, not the cities really@@@@/SPAN>
                  I live in Limerick city centre and have noticed a sharp drop in the numbers going to pubs in the last two years (except for the few super-pubs). I don't think it's a bad thing though.

                  Saying that my own local The Central on Thomas Street closed its doors last year.
                  "Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too ?" - Douglas Adams

                  Comment


                    #10
                    @@@@SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 8.5pt; COLOR: #4a4a4a; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">I read in a local paper recently that rural people are not going to there local as much anymore becausethey are worried about getting stopped for drink driver. In the same article they worry that the suicide rate will go up as this is there only source of socialising.Basically it has become unacceptable to drink drive and about time too, but saying suicide will go up because they are not going to the pub anymore is maybe going a bit too far. @@@@/SPAN>

                    Comment


                      #11
                      In some ways it is and some ways it isnt, i think it is sad the death of the traditional old pubs

                      Comment


                        #12

                        Originally posted by Red_langer1977
                        @@@@SPAN style="font-size: 8.5pt; color: rgb(74, 74, 74); font-family: Verdana;">I read in a local paper recently that rural people are not going to there local as much anymore becausethey are worried about getting stopped for drink driver. In the same article they worry that the suicide rate will go up as this is there only source of socialising.Basically it has become unacceptable to drink drive and about time too, @@@@SPAN style="font-weight: bold;">but saying suicide will go up because they are not going to the pub anymore is maybe going a bit too far.@@@@/SPAN> @@@@/SPAN>
                        "Drinking prevents suicide" ... it's original, if not totally farcical.

                        Comment


                          #13


                          Indeed it's a pity that the traditional pub is disappearing.
                          Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by beir bua
                            Originally posted by Red_langer1977
                            @@@@SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 8.5pt; COLOR: rgb(74,74,74); FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">I read in a local paper recently that rural people are not going to there local as much anymore becausethey are worried about getting stopped for drink driver. In the same article they worry that the suicide rate will go up as this is there only source of socialising.Basically it has become unacceptable to drink drive and about time too, @@@@SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">but saying suicide will go up because they are not going to the pub anymore is maybe going a bit too far.@@@@/SPAN> @@@@/SPAN>

                            "Drinking prevents suicide" ... it's original, if not totally farcical.

                            [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]Why not do the logical thing, appoint a designated driver and car pool.
                            "Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too ?" - Douglas Adams

                            Comment


                              #15

                              Originally posted by beir bua
                              Originally posted by Red_langer1977
                              @@@@SPAN style="font-size: 8.5pt; color: rgb(74, 74, 74); font-family: Verdana;">I read in a local paper recently that rural people are not going to there local as much anymore becausethey are worried about getting stopped for drink driver. In the same article they worry that the suicide rate will go up as this is there only source of socialising.Basically it has become unacceptable to drink drive and about time too, @@@@SPAN style="font-weight: bold;">but saying suicide will go up because they are not going to the pub anymore is maybe going a bit too far.@@@@/SPAN> @@@@/SPAN>
                              "Drinking prevents suicide" ... it's original, if not totally farcical.
                              A silly argument maybe but there is a truth to it increasing depression, i know in my local area a lot of the old boys would use going for a couple of quite pints as their social outlet, these people arent going out as much if at all now so i'd imagine theyre a lot lonelier

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X