Foreign currency new "service"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Foreign currency new "service"

I got an email from the former National Carrier this morning telling me about a new Foreign currency service.

Mrs Piquet and I are thinking of going to Croatia this summer, so I put in the Croatian Kuna and was quoted a rate of 7.004 to the Euro.

According to Google the Croatian Kuna is 7.44 to the Euro.

Not such.a great service!!

An Post are pretty good for ForEx. No commission charged unlike the banks
    "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Waterfordlad View Post
      An Post are pretty good for ForEx. No commission charged unlike the banks
      Can sometimes be good. No commission but a higher margin. I travel a lot for work and find that credit card gives me the best rate.

that is paying for goods and services via credit card. I keep cash to a minimum.
      Last edited by The Last Stand; 26th-April-2019, 10:43.

Comment

If you're comfortable with online banking etc, a Revolut card is supposed to be the best value option for forex - that's what was recommended to me recently anyway, I haven't used it yet myself.
        Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Generally, using "Free withdrawal" ATMs abroad and selecting to option to "Pay in the local currency" is reasonable. Your Irish bank will charge a margin, of course. Last week in Coventry AIB were charging EUR118 in total to withdraw STG100. Paying in the local (Sterling) currency was being offered at Eur122. The inter-bank rate* was 115.
          Last edited by aupa les rouges; 26th-April-2019, 14:40.

Comment

Originally posted by aupa les rouges View Post
            Generally, using "Free withdrawal" ATMs abroad and selecting to option to "Pay in the local currency" is reasonable. Your Irish bank will charge a margin, of course. Last week in Coventry AIB were charging EUR118 in total to withdraw STG100. The inter-bank rate* was 115.
            Never pay for goods or services overseas in your own currency. 99% of the time it's the rate the hotel / department store are giving and it's usually a terrible rate. If you pay in the local currency you get charged the bank rate which is significantly better (though still a a bit of a con).

On Forex, I'm still astonished at he the amount of people who change money at an airport - at least Dick Turpin wore a mask!
            Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Working...
            X