Notre Dame on fire

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Notre Dame on fire

The roof has collapsed, it seems but so far, no injuries have been reported.

Amazing pictures on BBCNews. The roof is gone but the scaffolding is still in position.

Comment

Spire has just gone.
      Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Horrendous. Just horrible to see.
        "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

What a tragedy.

Comment

Being from the Paris area, this is a monument I grew up with. The heartbreak is immense. French media reporting they do not know yet whether parts of the cathedral can be saved. We might wake up tomorrow with it entirely gone.
            Good things happen to those who wait, though mostly much too late.

Comment

It will be rebuilt. From scratch if necessary.

Comment

Latest news the front towers would be saved
                Good things happen to those who wait, though mostly much too late.

Comment

By the looks of it, the scaffolding is beginning to buckle.

​​​​It has done well to last this long.

Comment

Main structure seems to have been saved. Maybe the Vatican could sell a painting or two to fund the rebuild. Just a thought
                    "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

Originally posted by Jenta View Post
                      Main structure seems to have been saved. Maybe the Vatican could sell a painting or two to fund the rebuild. Just a thought
                      I'd have my doubts. And no French President is going to be able to be seen to squabble about it - particularly one at as low an ebb as Macron.

It's terrible to think thought that it's gone, however accurately its restored. The skill of the men who built that roof by hand, the techniques of those who produced such vivid stained glass through their own form of alchemy. Standing in that building was a connection with men who, 850 years before and working with rudimentary technology, had produced what you saw around you. A link through hundreds of generations, and vast, beautiful human effort to escape our own ephemerality.

To us, any restoration will be a simulacrum. But maybe the cycle just starts again.

"We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Paris without Notre Dame is unthinkable. It's resurrection will be and epic 100-year project involving the best crafts experts on the planet and technology we can barely imagine - the entire structure was laser scanned a few years ago, inside and out, so a 3D map of every detail, many unseen before, is available.
                        And like many of our greatest buildings, it is a layer cake of work done over centuries by many generations. Much of the fabric destroyed belonged to the last big renovation if the late 19th Century.
                        All is not lost.
                        Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2019.

Comment

Some pictures this morning - one of the rose windows seemingly intact ...

And the cross ...

"I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
                          Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

I used to love visiting this building when I visited Paris. I remember the first time I went there I got an awful eerie/haunted feeling about the place, But more recent visits I enjoyed more. I love old building and I get to see quite a few as part of my work.
                            No hot works or flames tends to be the order of the day for contractors working on these jobs. I hope its not someone cutting corners that has resulted in the disaster.
                            When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry

Comment

Awful to see, believe the police have a hunch as to who is to blame...

Comment

Working...
                              X