Presidential Election

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mr chips View Post

Jaysus, I've just seen what you mean. She reminds me of a pair of leather brogues my father used to own in the 80s, in all their "polished for Mass" glory.
    Good to see the moderators are setting a high standard on (personal) comments...
    ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

Originally Posted by mr chips
    AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

Comment

https://www.independent.ie/irish-new...-37338821.html

"You ARE a loony" Michael Palin (Cat licence sketch)

Comment

Originally posted by tippete7trees View Post
        https://www.independent.ie/irish-new...-37338821.html

"You ARE a loony" Michael Palin (Cat licence sketch)
        One of the two is clearly a loony, but the other is making a fair case o be considered so- the noises off from the gallery might sound like madness, but the real lunacy is the process which is trivialising an office that has been dignified by outstanding statesmanship over the last few decades. The are marvellous people who would enhance the reputation of the office, and the country, still further- but I suspect wild horses would drag them through this folly.

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

One of the two is clearly a loony, but the other is making a fair case o be considered so- the noises off from the gallery might sound like madness, but the real lunacy is the process which is trivialising an office that has been dignified by outstanding statesmanship over the last few decades. The are marvellous people who would enhance the reputation of the office, and the country, still further- but I suspect wild horses would drag them through this folly.
          I was referring to Mulligan as the loony - (after listening to Cleese asking again for a 'cat licence' Palin couldn't help: "You ARE a loony"). Agree with you. How did it get to this?: attention seeking nuts on the loose at CCs around the country.

Comment

Originally posted by tippete7trees View Post

I was referring to Mulligan as the loony - (after listening to Cleese asking again for a 'cat licence' Palin couldn't help: "You ARE a loony"). Agree with you. How did it get to this?: attention seeking nuts on the loose at CCs around the country.
            It is- I agree- pythonesque. The logjam in the Dail, is bad enough- and principally because of the, probably sensible, desire to avoid an election- although that’s wearing thin. Instead of capitalising on the Aras’ relative independence from party politics, it is descending into farce. It would be great craic if it was irrelevant, it’s being made so by the process.

Comment

Looks like Gemma has only managed 4 Councillors (and one council) to get to vote for her. Not looking at getting in via the TD nomination process aswell, the ''Dark state' must really fear her...

Meanwhile should Micheal D lower himself and the Presidency to the TV debate level or not?
              Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

Originally posted by Sulla View Post
                Looks like Gemma has only managed 4 Councillors (and one council) to get to vote for her. Not looking at getting in via the TD nomination process aswell, the ''Dark state' must really fear her...

Meanwhile should Micheal D lower himself and the Presidency to the TV debate level or not?
                Do you it consider it "lowering himself" to engage with others who are interested in that position or to explain how €55 million was spent over 7 years?
                Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Originally posted by McCloud View Post

Do you it consider it "lowering himself" to engage with others who are interested in that position or to explain how €55 million was spent over 7 years?
                  Obama’s trip to India a few years back cost 200 million a day.

Why did they not ask this after 3,4,5 years. How much did the office of his predecessor spend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by The Last Stand View Post

Obama’s trip to India a few years back cost 200 million a day.

Why did they not ask this after 3,4,5 years. How much did the office of his predecessor spend?

Not really interested in Obama's trips and the costs associated with them as I do not pay tax in America. As a tax payer in Ireland I AM interested in what €55 million of tax payers money was spent on in the last 7 years.

Comment

Tip of the iceberg

Comment

Not really interested in Obama's trips and the costs associated with them as I do not pay tax in America. As a tax payer in Ireland I AM interested in what €55 million of tax payers money was spent on in the last 7 years.
                        Probably about 8/9 million was spent on gratuities to centenarians.

Then you have things like the Presidents awards, the wage bill of the Presidents staff, his own salary which he reduced by 25%. Add in security, upkeep of the residence, travel expenses, insurance, hosting unionists and foreign dignitaries, poetry readings etc.

You can have a look at the PAC hearing on Oireachtas TV and it will reveal some of it.

My own view is that this should be something which is public as it is taxpayers money and that it should be prudently spent. But I have problems with the fact that it is suddenly a pressing issue after decades of no interest on the eve of an election.

Comment

Isn't that hard..

https://president.ie/en/about/organi...al-information What it costs

The direct costs of the Office of the President in 2017 were €3.6m.

This figure includes the payment of €1.07m Centenarians Bounty to 405 Irish citizens at home and abroad who reach the age of 100 years. The cost of the 27 staff at Áras an Uachtaráin was €1.67m.

The Appropriation account, audited by the Comptroller and Auditor General and published every year like every Department’s accounts, provides details of the costs of running the President’s Office. It also includes details of costs incurred by other Government Departments and State Bodies who provide support and ancillary services to the President’s Office.

The provision of these support services to the President’s Office (e.g. Garda Security, OPW maintenance of the Áras etc.) are matters for the professional judgment of these Departments and agencies. The President’s Office has no control over decisions on the scale of expenditure involved.

Total gross expenditure in 2016 was € 3,608,000 of which € 1,096,000 was on the Centenarian Bounty and € 1,677,000 on salaries.
                          Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

Michael D got a very warm and genuine reception from the crowd at the Liam Miller testimonial match at Pairc UiChaoimh. Then again he's a soccer lad.
                            http://www.dailyedge.ie/michael-d-ga...65765-Apr2017/

Comment

Originally posted by Sulla View Post

Isn't that hard..

https://president.ie/en/about/organi...al-information What it costs

The direct costs of the Office of the President in 2017 were €3.6m.

This figure includes the payment of €1.07m Centenarians Bounty to 405 Irish citizens at home and abroad who reach the age of 100 years. The cost of the 27 staff at Áras an Uachtaráin was €1.67m.

The Appropriation account, audited by the Comptroller and Auditor General and published every year like every Department’s accounts, provides details of the costs of running the President’s Office. It also includes details of costs incurred by other Government Departments and State Bodies who provide support and ancillary services to the President’s Office.

The provision of these support services to the President’s Office (e.g. Garda Security, OPW maintenance of the Áras etc.) are matters for the professional judgment of these Departments and agencies. The President’s Office has no control over decisions on the scale of expenditure involved.

Total gross expenditure in 2016 was € 3,608,000 of which € 1,096,000 was on the Centenarian Bounty and € 1,677,000 on salaries.
                              Do your figures include the un-audited slush fund of €300k?

Comment

Originally posted by aupa les rouges View Post
                                Michael D got a very warm and genuine reception from the crowd at the Liam Miller testimonial match at Pairc UiChaoimh. Then again he's a soccer lad.
                                http://www.dailyedge.ie/michael-d-ga...65765-Apr2017/
                                I won’t hold that against him.

Comment

Working...
                                X