Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DAA / Gov messing with Shannon

Shannon Airport facing debts

Shannon Airport is facing debts of 35 million euro following revelations that the Dublin Airport Authority is revoking funds for the airports survival plan.

The restructuring deal was rejected by unions because it called for voluntary redundancies.

The Government is coming under fire for doing a U turn on a pledge of debt free status for both Shannon and Cork Airports.

Executive Chairman at Shannon Airport is Pat Shanahan, he says the airport is facing a serious situation.

First Cork now Shannon, this government of gombeens has to go. When Pat says the airport is facing a serious situation you have to believe him. I worked in a company that this guy was in charge of and he doesn't talk bull.

"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too ?" - Douglas Adams

But besides the election, what can be done?

Comment

i cant understand the attitudes of this government-ireland has 32 counties not 1

shannon should have had a high speed rail link into town by now nevermind having to fight for its survival.

i visited porto recently i was amazed at the transport system that has been only recently been constructed-4 lines of metro (LINKED) and a superb new airport about 6 times the size of the current capacity and well linked by the (very inexpensive) metro into town. flights will come to porto-an airline will certainly make it a hub as the passenger facilities as well as those for airlines and their staff are excellent.

am i right in saying porto is not the capital of portugal? and portugal has a lower GDP than ourselves?

time for the gombeens in dublin to cop on

If the lessons of history teach us anything it is that nobody learns the lessons that history teaches us.

Comment

Porto is the capital of Portugal...

Comment

They really need to start realising that our airports are social assets that should not be competing with each other. The hint that I am getting from whats going on is that they want everything to eventually go through Dublin. It just doen't make sense.
          "Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too ?" - Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by Bitter As A Lemon

Lisbon is.

Comment

Originally posted by jmccoy
              They really need to start realising that our airports
              are social assets that should not be competing with each other. The
              hint that I am getting from whats going on is that they want
              everything to eventually go through Dublin. It just doen't make
              sense.
              If Cork and Shannon airports are to be independent, they have to
              compete with Dublin, and if they are competing with Dublin, there has
              to be competition with each other. Otherwise there is a centralised
              govt dept deciding who gets what and Dublin will always get the lions
              share. I'm fully confident that Cork airport, if it was genuinely
              independent, would be able to compete effectively with Shannon and
              Dublin. The current fiasco with the terminal is based on the fact that
              the project was run by the DAA, which screwed up the process,
              basically doubled the cost and lumped Cork with the bill for their
              incompetence.

Comment

Originally posted by theprop
                They really need to start realising that our airports
                are social assets that should not be competing with each other. The
                hint that I am getting from whats going on is that they want
                everything to eventually go through Dublin. It just doen't make
                sense.
                If Cork and Shannon airports are to be independent, they have to
                compete with Dublin, and if they are competing with Dublin, there has
                to be competition with each other. Otherwise there is a centralised
                govt dept deciding who gets what and Dublin will always get the lions
                incompetence.
                <!-
                var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
                var SymReal;

Sym()
                {
                window.open = SymWinOpen;
                if(SymReal != null)
                SymReal();
                }

Sym&#079;nLoad()
                {
                if(SymReal&#079;nLoad != null)
                SymReal&#079;nLoad();
                window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
                SymReal = window.;
                window. = Sym;
                }

SymReal&#079;nLoad = window.&#111;nload;
                window.&#111;nload = Sym&#079;nLoad;

//->

But the alternative of giving Cork a brand spanking new terminal, with no major capital expenditure required for the near future, and no debts doesn't make sense either. Ideally the CAA would have been created before building commenced and then allowed to manage whatever debts it incurred in doing so, then again if we waited the terminal would still only be on the planning stages.

Comment

Originally posted by Bitter As A Lemon

Lisbon is.

[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img][img]smileys/lol.gif[/img][img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

Tard.

*not you jmccoy.
                  \"Hmm, no, I don\'t have a gambling problem, I\'m winning, and winning is not a problem. That\'s like saying Michael Jordan has a basketball problem, or Def Leppard has an awesomeness problem. So why don\'t y\'all pour some sugar on that?\"

Comment

Whoops [img]smileys/redface.gif[/img]

Comment

i dont see why cork shannon and dublin or anywhere else for that matter should be competing against eachother. They should be working together inder a joint AA-the idea being to develop all of irelands airports so that we are as accessible as possible to visitors and more to the point, for our own people.

this cork/limerick/dublin.ballygobackwards rivalry is bulls**t and counterproductive, we need to work together for ireland plc-we can leave the rivalry for teh sports field

moreover, ultimately, regardless of short term handouts, ryanair en all will fly, long term, where they think people want to fly from/to

If the lessons of history teach us anything it is that nobody learns the lessons that history teaches us.

Comment

Originally posted by munsterforever
                        i dont see why cork shannon and dublin or anywhere else for that matter should be competing against eachother. They should be working together inder a joint AA
                        ok, Munsterforever, you made some great points before, but I'll take you up on this one. We had a joint Aviation Authority. It was called Aer Rianta and it didn't work. In effect, it shat on Shannon and Cork, and for years we have been arguing for more autonomy because on our own we believe we are more viable than having an unaccountable state-run, Dublin-based agency managing the operation of our airports. The debts that have been laid on Shannon and Cork are the final (hopefully!) mischievous antics of that same board.

Comment

i cant understand the attitudes of this government-ireland has 32 counties not 1

shannon should have had a high speed rail link into town by now nevermind having to fight for its survival.

i visited porto recently i was amazed at the transport system that has been only recently been constructed-4 lines of metro (LINKED) and a superb new airport about 6 times the size of the current capacity and well linked by the (very inexpensive) metro into town. flights will come to porto-an airline will certainly make it a hub as the passenger facilities as well as those for airlines and their staff are excellent.

am i right in saying porto is not the capital of portugal? and portugal has a lower GDP than ourselves?

Good luck finding construction workers who are happy to be paid €6 p.h. But maybe in Portugal...

Incidently, I agree with you that there should be a rail link between Shannon and Limerick but I'd love to know the passenger numbers necessary to make it viable. 3 million a year - forget about it. Think about the last time you went through an airport with a rail link and then give me the figures.

Comment

Originally posted by Max Headroom

Good luck finding construction workers who are happy to be paid €6 p.h. But maybe in Portugal...

Incidently, I agree with you that there should be a rail link between Shannon and Limerick but I'd love to know the passenger numbers necessary to make it viable. 3 million a year - forget about it. Think about the last time you went through an airport with a rail link and then give me the figures.
                            if there is any rail line to be constructed in this country this must be one of the most viable. Shannon is a significant industrial area. Thousands commute (most drive) from Ennis and Limerick City each morning and evening to it. There is an existing Limerick - Ennis line which would need a new spur off it to go to Shannon. The use of existing infrastructure should minimise the capital outlay.

Comment

[QUOTE=neiljung]

Originally posted by theprop
                              They
                              really need to start realising that our airports are social assets that
                              should not be competing with each other. The hint that I am getting
                              from whats going on is that they want everything to eventually go
                              through Dublin. It just doen't make sense.
                              If Cork and
                              Shannon airports are to be independent, they have to compete with
                              Dublin, and if they are competing with Dublin, there has to be
                              competition with each other. Otherwise there is a centralised govt
                              dept deciding who gets what and Dublin will always get the lions
                              incompetence.

But the alternative of giving Cork a brand spanking new terminal,
                              with no major capital expenditure required for the near future, and
                              no debts doesn't make sense either. Ideally the CAA would have
                              been created before building commenced and then allowed to
                              manage whatever debts it incurred in doing so, then again if we
                              waited the terminal would still only be on the planning stages.[/
                              QUOTE]

I don't see why giving Cork airport a new terminal with no debts
                              associated with it made no sense. Cork airport was built in the 60's
                              and this is the first major infrastructural upgrade it got. It wasn't
                              allowed trans-atlantic flights, which limited its growth, and it has still
                              managed to grow it's passenger figures by between 10 and 20% per
                              year for the last number of years, surpassing 3 million for the first
                              time last year.

In my opinion, not exactly unbiased, the new terminal, and
                              associated improvements on the airport land, were all highly
                              overdue, and the fact that they were overdue was based on a poorly
                              run, dublin-centric Aer Rianta management that ignored the
                              development of Cork and Shannon.

You can talk about an ideal situation, but the reality of neglect for
                              Cork and, to a lesser extent, Shannon, is the reality. The badly run
                              project managed by the DAA (responsible for the cost overruns) is a
                              reality, the Government going back on the promise of a debt free
                              terminal is a reality, and now Cork getting shafted is unfortunately
                              becomng a reality.

Comment

Working...
                              X