Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

300 Jobs Gone Up North

<DIV =storyer ns="">
    <H1>300 jobs to goin CoAntrim factory</H1>@@@@SPAN =storyDate>Wednesday, 21 February 2007 10:57@@@@/SPAN> </DIV>
    <DIV =story ns=""><rte:>

Up to 300 jobs are to be lost at a factory in Lisburn in Co Antrim.

The US-owned company, Sanmina, is moving production to Hungary.

The company makes cabinets for computers and generators.
    <DIV id=story_island>
    <DIV =storyIslandTitle>Advertisement</DIV></DIV>

Sanmina is one of the largest employers in the greater Lisburn area and the job losses, although not wholly unexpected, come as a major blow to the local economy.

Rumours that the company was in financial difficulties and under investigation have persisted since initial job losses were announced in December.

Workers have been placed on 90 days' notice and talks involving the Amicus union are set to begin immediately.

Future production will be moved to the company's base in Hungary, whichhas a lower wage cost base than Northern Ireland.

Looks like the North is starting to get the same lashing that we are getting down here. Sanmina also had a factory in Fermoy, is this still around.</rte:></DIV>
    "Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too ?" - Douglas Adams

Originally posted by jmccoy
    <DIV ="storyer" ns="">
    <H1>Looks like the North is starting to get the same lashing that we are getting down here. Sanmina also had a factory in Fermoy, is this still around.</H1></DIV>

</RTE:>

Yes Sanmina are still inproduction in Fermoy and seem to be going okay for the time being. No rumours of them moving abroad. Showing my age now but I remember when that factory first openedin Fermoy and was know asBeehive.
    Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Comment

Originally posted by redster
      <DIV ="storyer" ns="">
      <H1>Looks like the North is starting to get the same lashing that we are getting down here. Sanmina also had a factory in Fermoy, is this still around.</H1></DIV>

Yes Sanmina are still inproduction in Fermoy and seem to be going okay for the time being. No rumours of them moving abroad. Showing my age now but I remember when that factory first openedin Fermoy and was know asBeehive.

Lets hope that it keeps doing OK.
      "Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too ?" - Douglas Adams

Comment

why are you shouting?
        The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
        - Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

Comment

shame

another example of why corporate tax rates should be equalised on this island

If the lessons of history teach us anything it is that nobody learns the lessons that history teaches us.

Comment

Originally posted by munsterforever
            shame

another example of why corporate tax rates should be equalised on this island

Thats a very good point.

Comment

Originally posted by redster
              <DIV ="storyer" ns="">

Lets hope that it keeps doing OK.

Im in a similar business to Sanmina in Lisburn. Trouble is they are bringing their work, much of which is for the Irish market to Hungary. Needn't elaborate on the reasons why. The Fermoy plant is in a slightly different but related type of work but I would be wary of them.

i dont think many people fully realise what is happening in manufacturing in this country right now.

Im also old enough to remember BEEHIVE jmc
              Anybody who sees a psychiatrist would want their head examined.*&nb sp;Henry Ford

Comment

Working...
              X