Things to do In New York?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things to do In New York?

I will be in New York for5days with the missus from the 19th of April. I have some idea ofwhat i'd like to do,but any suggestion/recomendations on things to do and places to see would be appreciated.

Have a few beers with The World Is Born !!!
    How come when Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider he gained superpowers yet when Alexander Litvinyenko ate some sushi laced with polonium he lost his hair and died? Once again it\'s one rule for comic book superheroes and another for KGB turncoats.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quayballs
      Have a few beers with The World Is Born !!!

Ya i saw that, his post gave me the idea to start my own.[img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

Buy a city guide. Loads available.

A few thoughts:

1/. Top of The Rock. The best views.

2/. Staten Island Ferry.

3/. Helicopter trip. various.

4/. Shopping. Macy's, Bloomingdales, Century 21. Outlet day trip.

5/. WTC site.

6/. Bars and restaurants - the choice is endless. I went to a real chinese place in Chinatown and it was fabulous.

7/. Ride the subway.

8/. See a show. Broadway.

Comment

Cheers DermotG.Ihave a guide, i have an idea of where to go and what to see. I am just looking for addtional input. Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Dermot G
            Buy a city guide. Loads available.

A few thoughts:

1/. Top of The Rock. The best views.

2/. Staten Island Ferry.

3/. Helicopter trip. various.

4/. Shopping. Macy's, Bloomingdales, Century 21. Outlet day trip.

5/. WTC site.

6/. Bars and restaurants - the choice is endless. I went to a real chinese place in Chinatown and it was fabulous.

7/. Ride the subway.

8/. See a show. Broadway.

With your Missus in tow, the only option for you!! Also I second Dermot's recommendation re Chinatown, puts any chinese restaurants in Irelandto shame and cheap as chips.
            Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Comment

After shopping there recently with the missus, I'd recommend Jersey Gardens shopping mall. You can get a bus from the Port Authority station and it takes about 30 mins to get there. Its very well laid out , never packed and you can chill out with a pint while she's running around.

Comment

After the hussle of shopping and crowded buildings, spend an hour or 2 in Central Park. Haggle a price with one of the guys with the rickshaw bikes, and sit back enjoy a tour of the park with a bit of Historical lesson thrown in. Takes about 45 minutes, but when its finished, you can then decide to walk to a part of the park that took your fancy. ( The pond for ice skating, restaurants, etc).

Comment

A walk across Brooklyn Bridge - take the subway to the first stop on the Brooklyn side and walk back to Manhattan.

Circle line boat tour of Manhattan.

Museum of modern art.

For bars and restaurants, I'd recommend downtown instead of midtown.

Lower East Side has dozens of bars around Ludlow/Orchard Street - the area is being gradually yuppified but is still a bit edgy so as a result you get some interesting places. Go now as it will be just like Soho in a few years.

Soho is for the designer boutiques and chi-chi shops and bars to match.

Meatpacking District has lots of old warehouse and similar buildings renovated to create smart bars and restaurants.

Don't eat in Little Italy - virtually all the restaurants are tourist traps for the "bridge and tunnel" crowd. There are some good places North of Little Italy (Nolita) though.

Comment

cheers guys this is the type of info i was looking for

Comment

Good night out in Hogs n Heifers in the meat packing district (a great
                      place to watch city folk act like rednecks), and a good laugh
                      anyways.
                      Coney Island is a bit of a laugh, don't know when the amusements
                      open but it would be close to the end of april. Spend a night in
                      Hoboken in New Jersey, its got decent night life and is only a short
                      trip on the PATH (subway between NYC and New Jersey). Walk
                      across the Brooklyn Bridge (better from the Brooklyn side to the
                      Manhattan side as the skyskrapers loom up in front of you, its a
                      great sight). Take in all the sights sounds and smeels of Chinatown.
                      If you are really adventurous and willing to either stay up til the wee
                      hours of the morn or willing to get up in the wee hours of the morn
                      go down to the Fulton Street fishmarket. It is amazing. You wouldn't
                      believe the activity and n oises (and smell). The sheer quantity and
                      different types of fish there is hard to believe.
                      The strand (i think??) bookstore is huge and you'll get some great
                      bargains there.
                      Visit Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island the Bronx. There's so much
                      more to New York than Manhattan. Go to a Baseball game if there's
                      one on. The atmosphere is great. Use the subway only if you are in a
                      rush, travelling far or really tired. You'll see so much more above
                      ground. Eat a hot dog from a street vendor. Go to a show, on or off
                      broadway. Drink microbrewery beer, Brooklyn Brewery is good, but
                      there are plenty of others (you'll find a new respect for American
                      Beer brewing).
                      Avoid eating italian food in most of little italy (you'll be ripped off).
                      Best italian food is found in brooklyn, queens and staten island. For
                      restaurants its probably worth using Zagats guide, should be
                      available in most bookshops and also at the airport when you arrive.
                      Keep an eye on taxi drivers if you have to use them. I wouldn't
                      advise it, you're better off on the subway. Coming fromthe Airport
                      (JFK) i use the subway, if you feel confident/comfortable with it then
                      its worth using. If not, go to the limo company stand the'll take you
                      to the city for a fixed price ($20-$40) as opposed to a metered taxi.

One thing i find about New York is that you can't treat it as just a city,
                      its much more than that and the atmosphere in the place is unlike
                      anything you'll ever come across anywhere. It is the atmosphere i
                      reckon that makes it special so be sure to soak up as much of it as
                      possible. Hope that helps.
                      “People are broad-minded. They'll accept the fact that a person can be an alcoholic, a dope fiend, a wife beater and even a newspaperman, but if a man doesn't drive, there's something wrong with him.” - Art Buchwald

Comment

<!-
                        var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
                        var SymReal;

Sym()
                        {
                        window.open = SymWinOpen;
                        if(SymReal != null)
                        SymReal();
                        }

Sym&#079;nLoad()
                        {
                        if(SymReal&#079;nLoad != null)
                        SymReal&#079;nLoad();
                        window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
                        SymReal = window.;
                        window. = Sym;
                        }

SymReal&#079;nLoad = window.&#111;nload;
                        window.&#111;nload = Sym&#079;nLoad;

//->

Go see the KNICKS .........................

The Beasts of the East [img]smileys/cool.gif[/img]

\" 220 horses, i gotta gun, a siren, a tank full of city gas....DON\'T YOU LOVE IT\"

Comment

JL, you could become a travel correspondent.

I'm going to NY for first time in Sept. so this and the hotel threads are of great interest.

Comment

If you go to Central park keep an eye out for a Limerick guy who does the Horse and Carrige rides around the park.His name is Joe Gilligan and he is mighty Craic.BTW his horses name is Harry Potter.He will be totally baffled when you say this to him[img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img]
                            I distrust Camels and anybody else that go for 7 days without a drink

Comment

Originally posted by bedstuybosco

<!-
                              var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
                              var SymReal;

Sym()
                              {
                              window.open = SymWinOpen;
                              if(SymReal != null)
                              SymReal();
                              }

Sym&#079;nLoad()
                              {
                              if(SymReal&#079;nLoad != null)
                              SymReal&#079;nLoad();
                              window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
                              SymReal = window.;
                              window. = Sym;
                              }

SymReal&#079;nLoad = window.&#111;nload;
                              window.&#111;nload = Sym&#079;nLoad;

//->Go see the KNICKS .........................

The Beasts of the East [img]smileys/cool.gif[/img]

<DIV>
                              </DIV>
                              <DIV></DIV>
                              <DIV>The regular season finishes with a game on the 16th of April, can't remember against who though. After that it's the play-offs, so it will be a few weeks before they are decided. I intend to try and catch a gig or two as well as taking in all the other nightlife.</DIV>
                              The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

Working...
                              X